Topic: T-shirt question/idea

I noticed at 'Broke last may that towards the end of the weekend a few teams were going around asking for and trading team t-shirts. Sounds like a great idea, so we'll be making some shirts for our team's debut in August.

But, that could get expensive, and bulky, if everyone did it (Thunderhill events get around 150 entries), so maybe making cards, like baseball cards, or post cards, would be a nice alternative. Your local print shop could make them for you, and I've used Digi-Labs software and services to make post cards.

Just an idea.

Re: T-shirt question/idea

We've had a couple different shirts made up for our team since we first started doing Lemons in 07. Our newest one was debuted at Summit Point.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/06/16/100_3497.JPG

We had people stopping by the whole weekend asking if we had any for sale.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Here's a few tips for anyone comtemplating t-shirts, especially if they're going to try selling them:

1) A cool design that doesn't rely on an inside joke will sell well.

2) Cost is everything, and most screen printers will try to make such a profit off you that you can't turn a profit. Shop around. The setup fees should cost about $100-$150 for one color + $20-50 for each additional color. The shirts themselves shouldn't cost much more than $5 a piece. Ask around with family and friends to see if anybody know a good, cheap screen printer. My wife's cousin runs a screen printing company and gave us a screaming deal on our shirts. His website is www.metalfabtrophy.com

3) When you get a good deal on the shirts you can sell them cheaper and still turn a profit.

4) If you have a good design you can wear your shirt around town and people will ask you about it and want to buy one. Half the shirts I've sold are to people who have no clue what the 24 Hours of Lemons is.

5) Don't make too many shirts. We bought 100 and I'm still hoping we can sell all of ours.

6) Don't underestimate the value of a good design. Especially if little kids like it, or if their parents think they'd like it.

EriktheAwful wrote:

6) Don't underestimate the value of a good design. Especially if little kids like it, or if their parents think they'd like it.

Amen. I'd add that a good, non-obscene design will aid in selling shirts. We have a great shirt from our Topless Special that we run out of Indy but my wife is horrified that my kids will see it. Sure, it has a topless woman on it, but it's a Vargas rip-off for heaven's sake. It's art!

No sale with the wife.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We used cafepress for ours.  Makes the shirts a bit expensive and we probably didn't sell as much as we could have, but people can just go online and buy whenever in whatever size they want which means no cash outlay for us and pure profit when they do.  I paid for part of the new shirts and mugs for this year from our modest profits over the past year.  Works for me.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

forgot to mention its also awesome that people can get a Thong with our logo on it if they so choose!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you're really cash-strapped, you can make stencils and spray-paint your shirts. Works great, and it turns out spray paint survives the clothes washer!

Judge Phil wrote:

If you're really cash-strapped, you can make stencils and spray-paint your shirts. Works great, and it turns out spray paint survives the clothes washer!

+1.

There's more than on Scooter Rally (*start laughing now...but remember, you race clown cars) that has a stencil where you can either pay for a t-shirt, or just spray the stencil (ala the Bribed & Scheiss BMW stencils) on whatever you have at hand. I still have a jacket spray painted with the rally stencil from post-K hiding somewhere in my house.

Blank T's from most Walgreens are about $5...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/04/NOSE30_Stencil-804px.jpg

This, but on a Shirt.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/11/PCHT_Shirt_Front_2_478.jpg

You can do multiple colors with stencils, too!

My company makes t-shirts and really good ones.
www.sunlineproducts.com
Chances are you have seen my work.
Scott

Justice...with a smile.

The more I think of it the more I like the baseball card idea. I still plan to do tee-shirts, but maybe bb cards, too.

Pro tip:  Screen printing is nothing more than high quality (sometimes) stencil art.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

H.K. Phooey's company did the Baksheesh! T-shirts and they came out beautifully.

14 (edited by H.K. Phooey 2010-07-20 06:22 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

H.K. Phooey's company did the Baksheesh! T-shirts and they came out beautifully.

This is the best referral in the 17 year history of our company.  woot....woot...

Justice...with a smile.