1 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-15 06:55 PM)

Topic: Cracked/broken upper radiator flange fix?

My mom was driving our e34 525i with my kids in it today when it overheated. In like 102 degree ambient temps. No biggie, right? Fortunately there was a tow truck literally right behind her in traffic and he flatbedded her home on her AAA policy and she and the kids were fine.

So I went out tonight to see if I could tell quickly what was the problem and lo and behold, the upper radiator hose was disconnected right at the radiator.

The upper radiator hose flange is about halfway busted off in the hose. Plastic. A new radiator is like a $300 part and this is one part that I definitely don't trust from the junkyard. What is the chance that I could epoxy that back together and then rely on it? Stupid to even think about it? Is that just penny wise and pound foolish?

Edumacate me, O Lemons Scribes.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Cracked/broken upper radiator flange fix?

Here I just guessed at the year, it's about half of your price.
http://www.usaradiator.com/BMW--525I--2003.html

www.performanceradiator.com

J-B weld can work wonders on that sort of thing, but you will want to take it out of the car and clean it really well before you do it.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

What year is it, I may be able to get you a new one at cost.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

5 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-16 10:26 AM)

It's a '94. But my wife prevailed on me to just send it to the shop and let them repair it because we need the job done faster than if I DIY it. And I guess that's fine with me since I'd rather work on the race car anyway. Less than 2 months before it needs to turn a wheel in anger and I haven't touched it since ECR.

Besides, yesterday was really a banner day for BMW's in my household. The super-bargain e24 535i that I picked up for a song proved why it was a song when the engine started making worse noises than my 4AGE did when it burned a piston and boiled all the oil out of the pan. I told my wife that rebuilding that 535i engine is going to be my winter project this year and she didn't say no, so... smile Of course, she doesn't realize that I'm going to ghetto-turbo it when it goes back in. Nothing better than a old sleeper BMW. So stealthy.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

How to fix a radiator the Lemons way, by yours truly.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I finished an autocross and drove home 500 miles on the stub left after breaking off most of the the upper rad hose port on a BMW plastic radiator.  Don't bother with the JB Weld.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Mulry wrote:

The upper radiator hose flange is about halfway busted off in the hose. Plastic. A new radiator is like a $300 part and this is one part that I definitely don't trust from the junkyard. What is the chance that I could epoxy that back together and then rely on it? Stupid to even think about it? Is that just penny wise and pound foolish?

About 11 years ago, I was taking the water pump off my 64 F100 and accidentally nicked the radiator when it came loose.  The result was a puddle of coolant.  I used some copper-infused hi temp epoxy putty on the leak.  It is still sealed up.

About 10 years ago, the ancient plumbing under my bathroom sink corroded where it was soldered into the pipe inside the wall.  The guy at the plumbing supply place told me to remove it all the way, file down the edges, and epoxy putty a threaded nipple into the pipe in the wall, and use that to connect to the sink drain.  That one is still holding, and so is the one I put under a different sink in 2005.

I don't know about plastic, but I can vouch for it working on metal plumbing.

you mean you guys manage to overlook this whenever on a cheap-o tool run?

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-we … 41592.html

plastic welding kit. check it out, it's got a 'gun' and a gas regulator and even "plastic welding rods"

Mulry wrote:

I told my wife that rebuilding that 535i engine is going to be my winter project this year and she didn't say no, so... smile Of course, she doesn't realize that I'm going to ghetto-turbo it when it goes back in. Nothing better than a old sleeper BMW. So stealthy.

I love it when a plan comes together....

Since there's a racing hiatus 'round these parts after September, I'll have some free weekends. Let me know if you want some help rebuilding the M30. (I'll also check my copy of TIS to see if it goes back to '94. If so, I'll burn you a copy.)

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama