Topic: stafford layout question

Does anyone know if you can get from the infield to the grandstands at stafford during the race?  Is their a bridge or tunnel?

2 (edited by Speedycop 2010-07-19 06:07 AM)

Re: stafford layout question

There is no infield for you to watch from. There is a few spots of grass, but Lemons cars will be spinning off into them, as they traverse the supposedly repaved infield road that's aslo part of the Lemons race track. There is no bridge or tunnel.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

The "infield" is off limits during the race.  You will find only wreckers and flaggers in the grass.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Only flaggers I saw were the corner lights around the track, and the one flag tower. Nobody was on the ground unless picking up cones during a caution.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Ok, so paddock/pits is outside the track, I worded my question assuming (incorrectly) that paddock was inside, which looked kinda tight anyway ;-)

6 (edited by Speedycop 2010-07-19 07:00 AM)

It's probably the crappiest track layout (course, not facility) that Lemons runs, but with the turnout Jay gets there, he can't not run it...

Of course, sitting in the stands there watching the wrecks at turn one is probably the best thing about Lemons, from a spectator's standpoint.

Yeah, they aren't really flaggers since they have the yellow lights around the track.  They are the wrecker drivers and LeMon pickers who clean up the connecting rods and ring gears strewn about.

There are no hot pits.  Pull up into your paddock space for mechanical work and/or driver changes.  Refueling will probably be allowed only in a designated area as it was last year.  DO NOT fuel your car in your paddock space during the race or you will feel the judges wrath on the order of speeding in the pits or worse.

This track is the Lemons version of Thunderdome.  The tight confines (about 120 cars/mile last year) make for lots of penalty box entertainment.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

Yeah, they aren't really flaggers since they have the yellow lights around the track.  They are the wrecker drivers and LeMon pickers who clean up the connecting rods and ring gears strewn about.

There are no hot pits.  Pull up into your paddock space for mechanical work and/or driver changes.  Refueling will probably be allowed only in a designated area as it was last year.  DO NOT fuel your car in your paddock space during the race or you will feel the judges wrath on the order of speeding in the pits or worse.

This track is the Lemons version of Thunderdome.  The tight confines (about 120 cars/mile last year) make for lots of penalty box entertainment.

you guys are making me want to get the Vic out of mothball for a round at that track.

9 (edited by Jer 2010-07-19 10:05 AM)

Not a fan.  After CMP and Summit Point, I don't think I'd ever go back to Stafford.  Stafford is all about survival, long stints and staying clean.  The viewing stands are superb, though.  And we had a great time dragging the Craptation there last year, it's just not even close to the racing at the really great tracks.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I've driving every track with a 16Hr tow from Boston and I thought I would hate Stafford when I ran for the first time last year.  But the convenience of driving 1.5 hrs to race and sleeping late on Sunday in my own bed is just too awesome. 

I dunno what it is, but there are parts of Stafford that I really like.  Our car handled really well in the oval and that was a lot of fun going around there 3 wide flat out.  It really is action packed with sooo many cars per sq ft.  I was on sensory overload for the first 10 minutes of my stint and then I finally calmed down.  It's a fun race.  And my friends enjoy watching from the stands.  If you come expecting a GP circuit, you will be very disappointed.

I just hope they don't throw in a cone chicane at the exit of the oval.  The place is a bullring as it is.  There's no reason suck ALL the life out of the configuration.  It already lacks the rhythm and flow of other venues. 

_paddy