Topic: What legal tires are best for the $

First timer -- probably running tires in the 225/45/17 with 7in rims.

Mike

Re: What legal tires are best for the $

The Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec is probably the best 200TW tire for the money. 
Also check out the Kumho MX and Falken Azenis RT-615K.

-Scott

Scott Barton

3 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-07-21 09:03 AM)

I got the Star specs and they work pretty good... just remeber the 190 wear limit!

Its really less about the tires, and first time out, the tires will be the least of your worries. Better to save your money and make sure you can make it to the end, then as youi step up, tires are good....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

+1 for the star specs. We're about to run our third race on them and they still look fantastic.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Spinnetti wrote:

I got the Star specs and they work pretty good... just remeber the 190 wear limit!

Its really less about the tires, and first time out, the tires will be the least of your worries. Better to save your money and make sure you can make it to the end, then as youi step up, tires are good....

+1

Spend time prepping the car, so everyone will get to race.

Our first race was a carnival of errors. Even though we had 2 months to get the car ready, we fumbled around. One weekend wasted because they went to a dyno day. There was no time for an alignment. Barely got the cage installed the week before the race. Then found out the seat didn't fit our tallest driver's and had to modifiy the seat mount at the track. A test drive in a warehouse district revealed we had a bit of an overheating problem. The majority said to drive it easy and watch the water temp!? Tires? Oh we have a pair of this brand and a pair of that brand and 2 others of different brands. It will be OK we figured.

I drove first. Right away the car was what the Nascar guys say, "loose." Turning either way required major corrections to keep from spinning. Well it wasn't long, 30 minutes, til the water temp was "H" and spraying on the windshield. Came in and swapped radiators. Then we looked at the rear end to see what's up. On both sides we found loose control arm bolts letting the wheels move toe in or out, a quarter inch or so. I guess an alignment would have found that mistake.....

The engine never ran normal temp again. Every driver change we added water. At 5pm Saturday it locked up. That was the begining of the all night til 3am engine swap. We raced on Sunday with our new "cheater motor" according to both Judges. Then around 3pm the master cylinder was only stopping 2 wheels, diagonally. We parked it til there was only 10 or so minutes left in the race and went back out to finish under the checkered flag.

After that we were hooked. But I got my car and fixed things BEFORE they broke.

Tires? Star Specs rule on our pig.

Brakes? New rotors with race pads are the way to go. Stainless braided lines and high temp fluid too.

BS Rule #1:  Never let the judges know that you have skills and experience, especially with the model of car that you're racing.  Play dumb.  (hint:  Judges read the forums!)

One of my favorite moments ever was when a certain winning RX7 team captain was being grilled by the judges to see if he'd let anything slip about the potential cheatiness of his engine.  Said team captain owns a shop that prepares rotary race cars.  Among his priceless deadpan responses:  "What's an apex seal?"

That's how it's done, people!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

our star specs should last 3 races.  Great grip, supposed to be good in the wet.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

8 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-07-21 06:07 PM)

Star Specs and Falkens are great tires also check on Tire Rack and see what they have on sale in your size, many times you can get very good performance tires at a bargain price, might not be Star Specs, but still great tires can be had. 

I like the Falkens because they are asymetrical and not un-directional, so you can rotate them not only front-to-back (only way to rotate uni-directional tires) but you can also rotate them side-to-side.  This helps alot on a track like Tunderhill with a 3:1 left turn to right turn ratio, on a FWD car the RF tire takes a beating and with the Falkens I can rotate the RF to the LR after Saturday. Something you can't do if you have a uni-directional tire.

star specs all the way....sure they cost a bit more initially but last SO much longer on track....minimum two full race weekends!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We ran the BFG G-Force KDW, the 225/60/16 were on clearance for $62, and had a $60 rebate on four.  I bought 8.  They had a 320 treadwear, and felt a little slippery after running a few hours, but they will live for another race.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

icemang17 wrote:

star specs all the way....sure they cost a bit more initially but last SO much longer on track....minimum two full race weekends!!!

I keep reading posts this but we absolutely shredded our Star Specs in a single day at Fontucky.

I wonder if there is a geometry setup that they Specs either like or don't like.

What kind of car were you running?

Did it push a lot?

Which tires were shredded?

thanks,

m

1 degree neg camber.  Very little toe.  That's all I remember.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

We use the star specs, but we sure don't get 2 full races, I'd say 15 hours tops for us on the front, but we go forever and ever on the rears (FWD car though, and tend to over drive corner exits pretty badly)  That said, awesome tire for the money.

lonestarrpm wrote:

I wonder if there is a geometry setup that they Specs either like or don't like.

What kind of car were you running?

Did it push a lot?

Which tires were shredded?

thanks,

m

E30...yes, it pushed a ton.  Fronts were really bad but the rears weren't exactly cherry either.  I guess part of it has to do with the surface there, we might try them again and see if the better surface at T-hill helps things.

Ran Fuzion HRi's on our e30 at Summit.  At $50 each they did their job and are good for another race maybe more.  Our car was so sloppy I can't say if the tires were good or not but they did hold up.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons