Topic: who has their car finished????

3 days to go.....
Who has it all in order and ready 100%....
I'm still waiting on connecting rod bearings from rock auto....

Manny....
Elmo's revenge....

2 (edited by Speedycop 2010-07-21 03:21 PM)

Re: who has their car finished????

The Rocketbird has ditched the V12, and will make do with a rare whistling, clattering, Cavalier-engine-sized replacement. The engine is bolted in place, and that's as far as I've gotten. I have two days to finish the fuel system, add pieces of the butchered wiring harness from the donor car, figure out the radiator mounting, rig up a cable throttle/pedal setup, mount an exhaust, and try to make it all work in a car decades older than what it came in. Of course, I'm used to pulling all-nighters leading up to a race, so this is nothing new.

BTW, the donor car was purchased less than a week ago, hence the rush. We were originally gonna run the Lincoln for the overall, but lost two of our skilled drivers, so the Rocketbird will see race and drivetrain #3.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

".....so the Rocketbird will see race and drivetrain #3."

Man I hope it sees Driver #2 wink

Jay was joking about that at Summit Point. At Gingerman, all 4 drivers had hour-long turns, wiith the trans failing as the last driver was about to head in. After the epic repair, I got another 25 minutes or so. At Summit, I spent two months building the car, with help on 5 weekends from "CaddyWrecker"cousin Dave. I got two slow, smoky laps after hundreds of hours on the build, not to mention paying for it all. Dave got the "I Got Screwed" trophy.

This race, I'm still doing most of the work, but I'm having Dave drive first. He wants to help more, but he has a new job, and lives 2 1/2 hours away, so that's kinda tough to do.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Hard core!
I got elmo running last night....
Had to polish #4 rod journal with plummers sandpaper....

I'm upset that the v12 isn't gonna make it....
That was 1 wild intake.....any live rounds left in the ammo box?
That would make for a great show.

We're done... The Fiat 131 Abarf looks rock solid.  I'm sure it will last for at least several minutes.  No concerns whatsoever...

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

Mkotzias wrote:

Hard core!

as long as the bubble machines are working, you'll be ok...

I'm hitting the wall right now. One problem after another. One step forward, two steps back. Spending all my time fixing stuff that was working before. Getting REALLY frustrated...

It started. Tons left to do, dunno how I'm gonna get it loaded by 8pm tomorrow, but it started.

We're basically done.  One thing is missing that we don't REALLY need but would like to have.  If we don't its no big deal.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

eljefe17 wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

Hard core!

as long as the bubble machines are working, you'll be ok...

One needs batteries or a hamster to turn the bubble wheel ......

Manny

Leaving now. Should be there around 10am. Maybe someone can save us a spot? Got 4-5 more hours worth of work to do. Yay. See you guys later this morning...