Topic: Cracked Windshield -How Much Is Too Much?

I reviewed the common tech failure thread and the windshield failures there are obvious.  We have a crack in our wind shield that starts in the lower middle of the windshield, goes about half way up, then cuts across right below the driver's line of sight.

I tried to get a picture, but the quality was too poor to illustrate the issue.  I'm curious whether a single crack is an insta-fail, or would this be okay if we put some clear tape over the crack.  Any help/input would be appreciated.

Refinery Trash
Team Captain - Austin No-Power Subaru Shaguar
Yee-Haw MSR 9/2010 - P23/122
Laisse Crap-Heaps, Grand Bayou 11/2010 - P4/50

Re: Cracked Windshield -How Much Is Too Much?

Mine had like 6 cracks all over and failed. You should be OK get a sharpee and trace the crack and take pic. Send it to Nick pon. Better safe than looking for lexon Friday before race.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We passed tech with a fairly large crack across the driver's field of view.  We have a spare crack-free windshield, but it's much more pitted than the cracked one.  We don't even see the crack once on the track.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

send me a pic

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

IIRC a single crack, even a long one is fine.  Its when the thing looks like someone bashed their head into it that its a problem.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

On one of our previous cars came with a cracked windshield since the last owner plowed into a deer with it. Despite the rest of the team objecting to having it replaced, it was done anyway and it turned out to be a total waste of money. Two days after it was replaced the car was driving down the highway on its way to The Lamest Day when the hood flew up at 70mph and cracked the brand new glass.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Too much....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs058.snc4/35264_1542982259046_1369652107_1425728_7004665_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

You mean you can't do a $50 windshield repair on that?

You probably can - with a $50 junkyard windshield.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Heck, you could probably get enough Lexan to do that windshield for $50.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Sorry for the crappy picture.  We had the car loaded on the trailer headed to get the cage installed and I tried to get a decent picture.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o124/beaviscih/Lemons%20Wagon/windshield.jpg

Refinery Trash
Team Captain - Austin No-Power Subaru Shaguar
Yee-Haw MSR 9/2010 - P23/122
Laisse Crap-Heaps, Grand Bayou 11/2010 - P4/50

Sweet heads up display!

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).