Topic: More ghetto suspension mods

Ok, would chaining down the suspension ( lowering ride height, lessening travel distance) aid in the handling of our car. (83' buick). We figure it would stiffen the suspension up at a low cost. Is this a really horrible idea?

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Re: More ghetto suspension mods

Does it have coils all around or just up front.
We cut all of our coils by an inch and it Stiffened the ride, lowered the car and we had better
grip in the corners.
I would be concerned with wheel hop, with the chains limiting the strut travel. I.M.O.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

i love it! dooooo it!

Hey,

Mr Gasket part number 1280 allows you to effectively eliminate a coil without cutting.  If what you're talking about would act similar it's probably worth a try.  If you're talking about chaining the whole spring or the control arm I'd probably avoid that.  You might encounter some unexpected handling when the spring rebounds and hits the chain.  I can try to explain the difference better if you're interested.

~sam

Rusty Tear Racing "Rally" Fiero
2010 Stafford 2011 Summit, Stafford 2012 Loudon, Loudon Class C Win!
2013 Monticello, Loudon, Loudon 2014 NJMP, Loudon 2015 NJMP, Thompson

neophile_17 wrote:

Hey,

Mr Gasket part number 1280 allows you to effectively eliminate a coil without cutting.  If what you're talking about would act similar it's probably worth a try.  If you're talking about chaining the whole spring or the control arm I'd probably avoid that.  You might encounter some unexpected handling when the spring rebounds and hits the chain.  I can try to explain the difference better if you're interested.

~sam

We used the Coil clamps at our first race. The only issue is that they walked down the spring and at one point two clamps were on the same side. Talk about a weird handling car.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Used to do it thirty years ago, but with very little preload.....you may lift an inside tire when cornering.....the dangling tire's ability to add lateral grip will be very limited....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

dumb idea mate

vwdmc16 wrote:

dumb idea mate

Translation to Lemonese: Go for it!

on our 85 grand prix I cut the front coils and heated the rear ones with the weight of the car on them (do this a little at a time) I also had to use coat hangers to make sure they don't fall out if the suspension happens to overextend (both front and rear) I also put a skid plate under the engine, turns out we wore it pretty thin at summit point. It feels like it handles well but I still want to put IRS on it. I do bring extra springs cause they will fail if I don't.

It Ain't My Fault

would chaining down the suspension ( lowering ride height, lessening travel distance) aid in the handling of our car.

That was one of the recommendations we got from a former pro racer. We didn't do it, but only because we want to see how it runs with just the springs cut.

We used junk yard springs that were the correct diameter and then cut to lower the ride.
Handled well but were too short when the suspension was at full extension, need to work in the coat hangers for MSR.
Talked to others working the same solution, if you have the time test - test - test. If not drive it, rock it.

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

Don't forget that camber is as or much more important than low and stiff springs... especially with a strut car.

With many cars, it is as simple as a round file. That's what I've done to three of my last four Lemons cars anyway.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

Don't forget that camber is as or much more important than low and stiff springs... especially with a strut car.

With many cars, it is as simple as a round file. That's what I've done to three of my last four Lemons cars anyway.

Too controlled and slow, use a plasma cutter.

Bonus points if you do it on a jack at the race with 90% of the suspension still bolted on

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Double bonus points if you lean over the strut towers with logging chain and a Port-A-Power pulling on an Armco barrier

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Heck that seems high tech to us, our upper spring perches are made outta 3lb coffee cans.