Topic: Power Steering

In the caster/camber thread someone mentioned disabling the power steering as an option.  Is there a general rule of thumb about when it's good to have PS in a race car and when it's not?

I take it the main advantages are that it helps reduce weight a little and gives you back a little power.  Is there any other reason for removing it?

Our car is a Celica Supra that I expect to be in the 2500 - 2750 lb. range once we strip it down to the bone and then add back in the cage and seat etc.  We haven't really driven the car more than around the block at this point, but to my knowledge there's nothing wrong with the PS system.  Given all of that would you recommend we take the PS out?

Re: Power Steering

I'd leave it in, the tiny weight savings isn't worth the extra energy you'll expend turning the wheel without it.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

There are multiple camps on this.  My car is around the same weight as yours and has power steering.  The power steering had a leak which showed my team how it was to drive it without power steering.  That easily made us decide that for an endurance race we'd rather keep it in, one less thing to get the drivers tired.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I think it depends greatly on each car, some are hard as hell to turn with a power rack with no assist.

It went out on our mx6 we were running, and we eliminated it after finding it didnt do much on the track. In the pits it was more interesting, but very manageable.

Our miatastang still has it, but we are considering x-ing it. The probe is getting x-ed trying to get the weight down. The ratio on these cars are very similar between power and non power though.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Our GTP weighs around 3100lbs currently, and we lost power steering at Summit Point. Soon as it happened our driver had to come in because there was no way he could keep going without it. Thankfully we had it fixed and back on the track in about 20 minutes.

What's power steering?

Paluck
Rooster Juice Racing
Bay Area, CA

Something Hemi owners wished they had back in the 60's.