Topic: Beer at the track

Can spectators (non-drivers, non-team members) drink beer while the race is going on? When I was at Cain't Get Bayou last May (as a spectator) we were told that they would take our arm bands away if they caught us drinking beer while the track was live. Is that true or were we just mistaken for a race team?

Re: Beer at the track

Pretty sure if the track is hot your drinking water.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

I think it may depend on facility rules for non-drivers.  Nelson '09 non-drivers were drinkin, but maybe they were just bein noticeably sneaky. Summit Point this year it was live track no alcohol.

Every Lemons race I've been in, has been no alkyhol til the track is cold.

It makes sense, really. It's hard enough to avoid slaughtering sober, inattentive pedestrians while you're driving around the paddock.

It also keeps ye olde drunken mechanic from sticking his fist into your ghetto unshrouded cooling fan. Instead, it's stone cold sober reasoning that he uses to turn his hand into ground beef.

It also makes the rule easier to police. Sure, it sucks for actual spectators, but you're not paying enough for special attention.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

People drink at Lemons races?!?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Most tracks have a rule about drinking while the track is hot.  The rule is that you drink out of a cup, or a suitable can coolie.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

8 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-07-31 06:56 AM)

trekkor wrote:

People drink at Lemons races?!?

KT

People are sober at Lemons races?!?

A person has to be drunk or mentally deficient to want to do this over and over.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Mentally deficient here.

Both

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

No drinking, by anybody, when the track is hot. If we see anyone with a driver's wristband drinking while the track is hot, we will pull the wristband on the spot. Non-drivers, we just yell at.

When the track goes cold, you can knock 'em back. I know I'm searching for that first cold post-race beer while the checkered flag is still waving.

The real question, why does beer at the track taste so damn GOOD? Must be the trace amounts of grease and burning rubber.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

No drinking, by anybody, when the track is hot. If we see anyone with a driver's wristband drinking while the track is hot, we will pull the wristband on the spot. Non-drivers, we just yell at.

Maybe you should say that at the driver's meeting. I don't recall hearing that, and I was actually trying to pay attention.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Maybe you should say that at the driver's meeting. I don't recall hearing that, and I was actually trying to pay attention.

Trying to pay attention with a beer in your hand is a double negative.:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

EriktheAwful wrote:

At our Thunderhill event last weekend, it was repeated every morning and even during the day.  No one in any way, shape, or form, was allowed to consume alcohol while the track was hot.

I have heard it announced each day at both races I have been to.  Hot Track = no alcoholic beverages by anyone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

It turns out that Thunderhill allows non-participants (i.e., pure spectators) to drink beer while the track is hot. This is not the case at most tracks.

So the rule is no beer drinking by non-participants at the track while the track is hot, unless it's ok?

That's the kind of LeMony rule I think we can all live with.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

At our last race we only drank back at home base, never at the track. Also a case of Mike's Hard Limeade, brake pads, and pair of CV boots makes for a night of very funny improv comedy.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I haven't been to a race, but I did read someone who ran the 2008 Stafford race say "Mom always told me that, 'If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all.' And so, I'll say nothing at all."

Then they went on to claim that drivers and officials were drinking during the event.

(Not to say I believed it from what I have read of Lemons, but it is good to confirm it is horseshit)

21 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-08-12 02:03 PM)

Their "cage" also somehow passed tech at that event, so suffice it to say that some things have changed since 2008.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/racing_08/DSC_0175.jpg

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Judge Phil wrote:

I know I'm searching for that first cold post-race beer while the checkered flag is still waving.

Dude, you drink?  I'm shocked!

(BTW - come by for some Shiner's at Yee-Haw.  Tetanus Racing will set you UP!)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Don't forget that we're hosting an all-paddock kegger right after the track goes cold on Saturday in Houston. So I don't think finding cold beer will be the problem... smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.