Topic: Fire Extinguisher Bracket

I need an extinguisher & bracket. As per the rules, it needs to be bolt-on, metal quick release.

Where did you get yours, what do you recommend?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Here's an example: http://firematic.com/fireshop/store.cgi … &xm=on

3 (edited by Doug I 2010-08-09 09:56 AM)

We got the Kidde extinguisher from Lowes.  The metal bracket was from Amazon.

Similar to this

Harbor Freight have a selection too!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Thanks, guys.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Ace Hardware usually has the metal brackets.

Grainger always has them.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Doug I wrote:

We got the Kidde extinguisher from Lowes.  The metal bracket was from Amazon.

Similar to this

That looks like what we used and we just welded the bracket to the floor next to the parking brake and it is very easily accessible.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

That's about where ours is, except it has 4 bolts through the floor.

Summit tech required us to put tape over the catch lever.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/3 … SHER-25-LB

Comes with this bracket in the box with it:
http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/3 … NT-2-STRAP

Ours is mounted on the exhaust tunnel next to the drivers seat (roughly where a less GM car would have a parking brake)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

just make sure it doesn't' wiggle around when you grab onto it, that will fail, and you will have to rig something at the track to get it tight

Doug I wrote:

+1  since the latch can work itself loose if bounced pretty hard.  I've gone as far as taking duct tape and wrapping the section of the extinguisher that is held by the band to make it fit better.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Doug I wrote:

That's about where ours is, except it has 4 bolts through the floor.

No offense to the guys at summit but one of the tech guys there wanted us to use a zip tie so it wouldn't rattle as much on the mount.... it was plenty secure, just had few mill's of play since we mounted a vertical bracket horizontally to get it in reach of the driver, but the last thing I want is something binding it to the bracket....... we talked him into us wrapping the tube it was mounted on with duct tape to eliminate the play.

Ok, So the rules state that we need an A:B:C rig, I assume that means all the B:C extinguishers I see at home depot will not suffice? <---n00b question.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Correct

15 (edited by Mulry 2010-08-12 04:38 PM)

T-Money645 wrote:

Ok, So the rules state that we need an A:B:C rig, I assume that means all the B:C extinguishers I see at home depot will not suffice? <---n00b question.

Except that's not what the rule says. The rules specify that you must carry one of the three designated fire extinguishers:

1. Purple K;
2. Type 10B:C or
3. Type A:B:C.

So if you can find a Type 10B:C (or greater, like 40B:C) fire extinguisher at Home Depot that meets the size requirements, it will suffice. I found ours at Harbor Freight, although I had to go elsewhere for the bracket. FWIW, type B fires are fuel and oil and type C are electrical. Type A are normal household combustibles like matches, wood, etc. Lemons fires tend to be the BC types.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We bought ours at Grainger, it came with a metal bracket already. 3GRW5 was the Grainger number.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Great thread, thanks for the clarifications on the ratings Mulry.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

This is what we got, after running it past nick.