Topic: End up first Stafford session, Kielbasa Kids Civic leads

Just got off the phone with Nick. I'm working on a Jalopnik standings post now (hoping to get some race photos, hint hint), but figured I should share the top 10 list now:

1. Kielbasa Kids, Honda Civic
2. Scuderia Limoni, Alfa Romeo Milano
3. Scuderia Testa di Spillo, Alfa Romeo Milano
4. Vermont Cow Tippers, Volvo 240 wagon
5. Team Pro-Crash-Duh-Nation, Alfa Romeo Milano
6. Team Submarine, Honda Civic
7. Keystone Kops, Volvo 240 sedan
8. The Crazy Swiss & Crazy Chic, Nissan 240SX
9. Rhinoceros Racing Team, Honda Civic
10. Police Brutality, Lincoln Continental Mark VIII

Most of these cars are Lemons veterans, of course (yes, that Lincoln is the same one we saw at the last CMP race). Looks like we're in for a Civic-versus-240-versus-Milano race here! Could an Italian or Swedish car finally win? Will those Civic head gaskets stay intact? You never know what will happen!

As for the Index Of Effluency contenders, Nick reports that the battle between the Corvair and the Saab 99 is quite exciting. The Corvair has been rock-solid, mechanically speaking, but has been a regular visitor to the Penalty Box due to... well, you know the deal with Corvairs. The Adopted By Jets team has been wrenching like madmen and it seems to be paying off. At this point, the Corvair has a big lead, sitting in 22nd place to the Saab's 36th, but they're close enough to make it a white-knuckler tomorrow.

As for the Peugeot and Citation, they're both completely kaput. The Citation's engine blew up, and the Peugeot apparently suffered massive failures in at least a half-dozen critical components. The Citation team has switched back to the Corolla FX16 that rolled at the last CMP race, just to keep racing.

Re: End up first Stafford session, Kielbasa Kids Civic leads

I can't believe how reliable that corvair was/is. Did anyone in BS inspection check to see if they had Ralph Nader in the back peddling, instead of an engine?

Both us and the Citation kept coming off the track. We eventually got 3 of our 4 drivers some seat time between various wrenching sessions, for a total of about 50 laps, before our engine completely crapped out. Although we would like to thank everyone that came over to help and try to fix. If only we had brought an extra engine or two we might still be racing today.

Re: End up first Stafford session, Kielbasa Kids Civic leads

Yes, apparently the IOE goes to the car that looks like a poor platform, can be slow, but has all the guts reworked for reliability.   note for next year!   The Craptation died twice before the race started, suffered one major break after another.  Finally, the engine seized and that was that.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)