Topic: Any other Idiots Out Wandering Around (IOWAns)?

So my friends and I (who of course all think we're better drivers than Block and Loeb) have undertaken the task to enter the Rod B race in Oct, and have to get a cage built for our '92 SHO in no time.  Any others around the Iowa area that know of a place to build a good cage for a reasonable price, or somewhere online we can order a pre-fabbed kit?  Most of us are new to the area, as we're recently out of college, and got this crazy idea that we can actually build a race car and compete, despite the lack of actual experience (unless reading Jalopnik religiously and going to Rally America events counts?).  Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point, as we at least want to see the SHO die at WOT on a true race track, even if we spent loads of unneccesary money on fixing things that we have no clue how to.  Thanks!

Re: Any other Idiots Out Wandering Around (IOWAns)?

SHOBOCOP wrote:

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point, as we at least want to see the SHO die at WOT on a true race track, even if we spent loads of unneccesary money on fixing things that we have no clue how to.  Thanks!

That's the Lemons spirit!

Please tell me someone is Finally doing the totally obvious Robocop theme.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

We are finally doing the completely obvious, and mostly simple, Robocop theme, except faster with a SHO (if it moves...).  So, no one from Iowa?

There were a number of Iwanians at Nelson's Ledges.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Mutually Assured Destruction of Omaha is actually across the border in Iowa, probably be a few hangin' out there. You need to go check things out just to get an idea of what your team needs to pack, etc.

7 (edited by Midwestern Lemonhead 2010-08-20 12:03 PM)

Fellow IOWAn on here.  I'm in Des Moines.  Will be going down to Houston in a couple weeks for my 3rd Lemons race.  Finished every race, no black flags, no contact, clean racer.  Looking to get hooked up with a more local team as well.  Drop me a line.  Nice to see a fellow Middle of American on here.  I think we are underrepresented in Lemon Land.

My cage for the Dutch rudder 280z was constructed at harris auto racing in boone. It cost me $1300 and at the tech inspection for chump loyd wanted me to tell them they did a great job. People even came over because they were told to check out the cage. btw I live in ames.

I can't believe that just happened

There is a guy in Sheldahl that did the Porsche and Datsun.  Very reasonable and does an excellent job.  PM if you would like his contact info.  Cody when are you guys headed over this weekend?

"I'm from Shanty Town"
1991 Infiniti Q45a - Half Assed Safety Fast, Team Lamest Mess Racing
1971 Poorsche 914 - Lowbrau Racing

I'll leave friday morning with the car in tow for inspection. I suspect the rest of my people will show up firday night or maybe saturday morning. The car is ready except for the new kill switch and some maintenance stuff. I was whipping donuts in it in my back yard yesterday. My problem is I can't get anything on my truck fixed before I notice something else is broken. I just put a new gas tank in and the brakes were almost completely gone. Then I noticed what I thought was a bad wheel cylinder and it turned out to be a axle seal. After tearing the axle apart every bearing, gear, limited slip plates and one of the axles was shot. So I put a junkyard axle in and noticed a bad spider gear thrust washer and I noticed a small puddle of coolant in the front. Hopefully I can get everything finished this week.

I can't believe that just happened

Want to find someone close? I live in Cedar Falls. We are running our firebird at Omaha this weekend. I know of another car localy being built too, but have not talked to the guys.

We bought a prefab cage from Roll Cage Components and welded it in ourselves. It took some work, but we didn't have any of the nightmares that some other teams tell stories of.