Topic: transponder mounting

Just 2ft off the track, passenger side?

Re: transponder mounting

At the last CalClub (SCCA) time trials (Fontana), I just used tie-wraps to fasten it to the door handle of my daily driver.   It worked just fine.   It was about three feet off the ground, but the angle pointed it slightly outwards from the car, towards the ground.

That said, the closer to the ground the better, with no metal between it and the ground.   If you expect to be in a "photo finish" at the end of the race, then you would want it mounted as close to the front of the car as possible.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

If you're renting a transponder, the instructions sheet is pretty snazzy and includes guidance on lemonesque mounting. Bring your zipties and a drill bit big enough to make holes to pass 2 ties.

In general, renting or not, anywhere on the car is fine as long as it's 'pointed' down, there's no metal in the way, and it's within 2 feet or so of the ground. If you have a spare tire well in the trunk, one of the vertical-ish walls of that is a great place.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

just to be clear:  no metal between the transponder and the ground.  So behind the passengers headlight, pointed straight down, 2 feet off the ground, with nothing between the transponder and the ground is ok.  It will be surrounded by metal, but has a clear shot to the ground.

5 (edited by rickerbr 2010-08-25 07:49 AM)

At North Dallas Hooptie we mounted the rented transponder behind the front bumper to the sheet metal so if was definitely <2ft off of the ground and had a clear shot at the ground below it. At the end of Saturday Jay and the gang pulled our driver in and told him they were getting a "weak" signal from the transponder. I don't think we lost any laps because of it, but we remounted it to the inside of the front sheet metal but lower on the car (worried about debris hitting it), probably around 10-12" off the ground and never heard any more about it. The relative transponder strength may be related to how the loop is installed at the track as well.

The provided instructions recommend mounting the transponder to the outside of the spare wheel well. Reasonably well protected there for sure, but for us it was a pain to get to (not to mention beam axle and fuel tank issues).

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

You may want to re-think mounting it out in the open.  If you get hit it could break.  On many cars the core support is nice, since it is rear of the front bumper and near the ground.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Does anybody have a picture of the transponder?  I'm trying to figure out the mounting for ours. too.  Having an idea of what they looked like would give me a good idea of the space and hardware I need to mount the thing

8 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-08-25 02:46 PM)

This is the ones they were handing out at Summit Point (well, different color and older, but the same model and design):
http://www.sccatimetrials.org/images/transpondertp3r.jpg
Down in that picture has to point towards the ground.

I ended up drilling 6 holes - 1 behind the "loop", 1 directly above that, and a pair of heavy-assed zip ties through that pair - and then 4 more holes in a rectangle, 2 on each side, and used 2 more zipties to make an X across the transponder to keep it from flopping around and keep it pointed down.

There are many, many transponder designs, though, and I have no idea whether all the rentals are the same. It's really best to just find a vertical surface and say "I'll put the transponder there" - and drill some holes Friday night when the thing is in hand.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

FWIW, at ECR the rental ones were yellow TranX 160's, look pretty much identical  except they are yellow and are supposedly "karting" transponders, but they seem to work just fine so long as you don't get them too far off the ground and don't have anything but a clear path to the tarmac below. We mounted ours on the inside of a radiator support.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

OK, thanks.  My main concern was that it was just going to be a plain square box with no obvious fastener holes.

Nah, it's a plain square box with one obvious fastener hole. smile

It would be pretty easy for them to adapt their mold so that it would have slots on the vertical sides to facilitate zip-ties. They should do that, it wouldn't even interfere with their dedicated mount (which is made with slots that facilitate zip-ties). AMB is certainly well aware of the outfits that buy and rent their transponders. Hmm.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

For about 5 bucks you can buy a transponder mount and you'll have it and you don't have to worry about zip ties, or you can be like us and hit the transponder just hard enough that you bent one of the screws that hold the two case halve together in your first race and you get to buy it. It has paid off since we've done 10 races and don't have to rent one.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.

It is my understanding that the AMB model numbers are the speed (in kph) at which you will get hits 100% of the time.  So they have yellow tran-x 160 @ 100 mph, red tran-x 260 @160mph.  I guess they figure that no Lemons car will be going 100mph+ halfway down the straight!

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Lemons Alfetta wrote:

For about 5 bucks you can buy a transponder mount and you'll have it and you don't have to worry about zip ties, or you can be like us and hit the transponder just hard enough that you bent one of the screws that hold the two case halve together in your first race and you get to buy it. It has paid off since we've done 10 races and don't have to rent one.

2 words. Super Glue........

Duct Tape - makes giving back the rental a little easier wink