Topic: the 9th degree

is 9 degrees too much caster ?   car is a 77 chevy monza  and if i swap the upper control arms side to side thats what the caster ends up being       w/out the swap you cant get much more than a degree as the uppers arent adjustable and the lower adjustment is very limited

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Re: the 9th degree

Caster or camber? Are you playing with bump steer?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Caster or camber? Are you playing with bump steer?

CASTER

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

No offense; a lot of racers say caster when they mean camber...and lots of racers don't think about caster... I've used over 10 to get camber gain in a pure stock car with rules about static camber....but it had power steering....the jacking effect might make low speed corners heavy if your steering is manual. Can't remember what the geometry is in a Monza but as I recall it's a recirculating ball system. Lots of engine options for a Monza!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I was thinking along the same lines.  Manual steering, try to keep it under 5 degrees caster.  Maybe 7 if you don't have to deal with a lot of tight turns.

If you have good power steering, I've heard of people running 10 degrees as Jim said.

Personally, I'd leave the caster at 1 degree.  It's a light car, ditch the power steering, and just go for 2-3 degrees of camber.  Should be good enough for Lemons... and no PS to worry about.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

its going to be manual steering and brakes   4.3 carb with some knid of manual trans   im going for simple this time   no more jap computor controled crap

Just like you can have too much camber, you can have too much camber-gain through caster. It depends on bodyroll, your rack ratios, if you have power steering, etc. 9 degrees is probably too much, I've seen about 4-7 on most aggressive vehicles.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade