Topic: Firewalls N' Grommets

Am I right to assume that rubber grommets and bulkhead connectors for wiring/lines in the firewall with fly during tech?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Firewalls N' Grommets

Don't know the exact answer, but use common sense: If it's a rubber bung/plug, just pop rivet a piece or beer can or something with more heat resistance over that whole. If it's a grommet to shield the wires from getting cut by the metal, you're more than probably ok. A "sealed" firewall is to prevent flame and hot/burning fluids from entering the passenger cabin. Think: "If my car were standing on it's rear bumper and the engine bay were leaking fluid and on fire, what holes and gaps would I wish were sealed up better before I found myself in this situation."

3 (edited by djcommie 2010-08-27 10:23 PM)

Since stock holes are have grommets and aren't an issue, I don't see why you can't grommet new holes. Thats what I did, and the tech guy praised us for it, among other things. Now BS, on the other hand....

edit: I did however metal tape the insides of stock and added grommets, maybe they will like that too!

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

If the grommets are stock original to the firewall then they should be O.K. Most grommets have some kind of hole for wires to pass through, make sure yours don't or you will fail. Like all other comments beer cans, spare bolts, even steel tape helps. We had an inspector fail us because we had holes in our front wall, even though there is no engine in the front of an MR2. We explained this to him, his comment "put some duct tape on it and I will pass it". My comment "Duct tape it is", no real reason to argue when I really want to race.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Related: The blower intake apparently counts, too, even if it opens to the plenum instead of under the hood.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear