1 (edited by lt1buick 2010-08-30 12:54 PM)

Topic: Cage feedback

Hello,

We're going into our first Lemons race in Houston and would like some preliminary feedback on our cage.  We did the design literally to the existing rules and no more.  The front hoop is one contiuous piece and the main hoop is one continuous piece.  The main hoop brace and rear stays are at exactly 45 degrees. There are large spreader plates under each of the 6 points.  None of us have ever built a cage before so i'm sure they're not the prettiest welds in the world but they are 360 degrees and deep where we have finished them so far.  Much of it its just tacked in still but there are full weld shown in the later pics.   The car is a 1989 535i and we're using 1.5 x 0.120 DOM.  We have been weighing with car scales to make sure its under 3000 lbs as raced per the spec.  I know theres pieces that can be added, dash bar, pass. door bar, etc. and the welding could look better but at this point we just want to make sure we get though tech without any problems.  I know we have to get this thing done very quickly since we have less than two weeks!

Thanks,
Tom

Pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lt1buick/Cage#

Re: Cage feedback

I'd add a passenger side door bar and continue the bar across the hoop that is the harness bar, just because it's a good idea for a side impact from that direction.

Similarly I'd add a dash bar as well.

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

360* welds and that is the bare minimum cage that should pass tech. 

More bars would be better - in order of importance: two bars between the door bars, continue the harness bar to the passenger side, dash bar, and then a passenger side door bar.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Those welds are scary looking- big and lumpy and cold, also, some joints look unfinished. 

Make sure the welds have good penetration and are 360 degrees.       Yes it is a minimum cage, and with funky welds, you may have trouble passing tech.. 

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

6 (edited by JD1969 2010-08-30 05:23 PM)

I agree with Evil Genius, the welds have poor penetration and there is porosity in some that I can see as well. I know I am a newb here, but I do know welding. The floor plate weld I see in of those pics looks particularly bad. I would fix it now while you have time.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/