Topic: Full Course at CMP?

Sure would be nice to do full course at CMP instead of the abbreviated course.

Re: Full Course at CMP?

I love the full course, but there are a couple of problems with running it.  One is the back straight speed as mentioned, and I hate a damn chicane so I'd rather run the short course with no chicane. 

Second problem, towing logistics.  If there is a problem in T8 the tow truck will take twice as long to get there (and back) which equals less actual 'racing'.  BTW, you can get going pretty fast between T7 and T8 since it's straight and downhill.

Third, the back half of the course is full wooded so the spectators can only see the portion that we ran on in the past.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re. speed.  ChumpCar has had success with running full courses. And anything they can do Lemons can do better.

Re. towing.  I've seen CMP pre-position EV's on the far side of the track on the tree line on the other side of the kink.  A tow truck could grab a car and bring it in under white flag, or I think that there's a route that a tow truck can use that goes along the tree line on the other side of turn's 12 & 13, and then comes in to the track area on the other side of the go car course.  I'm not sure if that route still exists tho.

Re. spectators.  Yes, the spectators would not be able to see the whole thing, but they only miss 2 significant areas...turns 4-7, and turn 8, and they'd gain excitement at 2, 3 and the kink.  Besides, driver fun is a "must do".  Spectator fun is a "nice to do".

Yes, you get going pretty quickly heading for turn 8, but there's lots of traction there too.

At a minimum, I'd sure like to see the new course used for turns 12 & 13.  Old turns 12 & 13 are not good.

Would love to see it happen.

Agree that it might suck for the specs but the back area is the best part.  Sure would hate to break down back there though.

My biggest concern would be going through turn 3 with someone trying to make a dumb pass and being punted into the armco between 3 and 4. That could be seriously dangerous.

As much as I love the full course I don't see it being safe enough for Lemons. sad

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

My biggest concern would be going through turn 3 with someone trying to make a dumb pass and being punted into the armco between 3 and 4. That could be seriously dangerous.

As much as I love the full course I don't see it being safe enough for Lemons. sad

I'd submit that it takes some experience to go thru 3 fast and the folks that are fast enough to attempt to pass at 3 are skilled enough to do it with as much safety margin as we are used to.

Are we, the Lemons racing community, prepared to accept the idea that ChumpCar is real racing but Lemons is too risk averse to go full track?  I say "no". If the Chumps can do it, we can do it.

Ranger wrote:

Are we, the Lemons racing community, prepared to accept the idea that ChumpCar is real racing but Lemons is too risk averse to go full track?  I say "no". If the Chumps can do it, we can do it.

I see with your 3 post count that you haven't been here too long.  You don't want to go there on the Chump vs. Lemons thing...trust me.  I have run both, and each has it's pros and cons.  Think of it like this, Jay has no problem filling his events, therefore (at present at least) he can do (or not do) whatever he wants.  Comparing Lemons to Chump will gain you squat around here.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Ranger wrote:

I see with your 3 post count that you haven't been here too long.  You don't want to go there on the Chump vs. Lemons thing...trust me.  I have run both, and each has it's pros and cons.  Think of it like this, Jay has no problem filling his events, therefore (at present at least) he can do (or not do) whatever he wants.  Comparing Lemons to Chump will gain you squat around here.

I hear ya. Next month will be my 3rd Lemons, but I agree, forum newbies should behave like forum newbies and not rock boats.
Luck to you sir.

Ranger wrote:

I'd submit that it takes some experience to go thru 3 fast and the folks that are fast enough to attempt to pass at 3 are skilled enough to do it with as much safety margin as we are used to.

you must have run some pretty clean Lemons races b/c i don't have nearly as much faith as you do.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Ranger wrote:

you must have run some pretty clean Lemons races b/c i don't have nearly as much faith as you do.  wink

I'm an optimist. <g>

For the most part, the races we've run have been very clean.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

( except for that one rollover with the fire )...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

14 (edited by soldmystang 2010-08-31 02:48 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:
Ranger wrote:

not intended as a dig toward you Ranger, but ChumpCar hasn't run CMP yet as you know.  i think Lemons could do CMP Full with the 35 serious cars / teams entered.  it is the other 90 cars i'm worried about....................  smile:):)

oh and i almost forgot about this, Turn 1, ask Krista about that one.  you have probably seen that video footage.  ouch.  at least with the short course debris goes to the outside in the turns.  sad

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36