1 (edited by BryanPendleton 2010-09-03 05:50 AM)

Topic: AMB Lap Timer Question

Is there any issues, hassles, problems using an AMB Lap Timer (ie. AMB Display IT) with a rented AMB Transponder?  I just curious how you "setup" the laptime to read the AMB Transponder you are using?

Re: AMB Lap Timer Question

The biggest issue is going to be whether or not the track supports it.

It requires a newer version of the timing software, a new transmitter box at the track, and another loop cut into the track somewhere past start/finish to act as an antenna for the transmitter.

I don't know how the in car setup works, so I can't help there.

Re: AMB Lap Timer Question

No, the DisplayIT (now known as the Blind Apex) doesn't actually receive signal directly from your transponder, but from a separate radio transmitter at timing/scoring that sends out the data. So using a rental transponder isn't a big deal since you can re-program the display to show the data for whatever transponder number you program it for.

The key is if the track is broadcasting that data or not using the transmitter. Blind Apex typically gives those transmitters away for free to the track (to spur demand for the display units), so you'd just need to investigate if the track you're looking to race at is using the transmitter, or if not, see if they would be interested in getting one for free.

Here's the manual for the Blind Apex that lays this all out:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/H … l_V1_3.pdf

Looks like both ECR and MSR-Houston are using it, so if you're going to Yee-Haw, you should be okay.

Now on the other hand, if the judges see that you're so vitally interested in lap times, that might impact your penalties if/when you get black flagged...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.