Topic: Harness mounting help....

We are hurring to get done for this weekend in Houston and we've run into a problem with our harness.  We bought a bolt in kind in order to use the OEM mounting locations for the lap belt which worked great.  The problem is the shoulder straps which are several inches longer than they need to be to where our mounting bar is.  So my question is what are our options.?  Do we mount a lower bar to make them the right length (pic 1) or can we mount the ends slighty towards the centerline of the seat and wrap around the excess? (pic 2)  Or is there a better option like using a shortening clamp or something, or clamps from a wrap around harness?

Pics are here:

http://www.hfwracing.com/cage

any help would be greatly appreiciated

Thanks!
Tom

Re: Harness mounting help....

The ends for the shoulder belt should have adjustable shackles/buckles that wrap around the bar.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1060478.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1060479.jpg

With the stock seat, plan on a seat brace, too.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I'd cut off those shoulder belts right where the stitching starts for the bolt-in part so that you have a smooth, unsewn edge. Then melt the threads with a convenient source of flame so that they don't unravel.

Then buy 2 of these 3-bar slides:

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-3-slid … ductid=876

Then you can convert your bolt-in to a wrap-around style shoulder harness very easily. Put a small piece of leftover roll cage padding in the middle between them to keep them spaced out properly.

The key is to get those 3-bar slides on the way. If you can make it over to Smiley's in Houston, they should have them on the shelf, otherwise order them tomorrow and get them overnighted so you have them in time.

If you have any question about how to install them at the track on Friday, please feel free to come and get me and I'll be glad to help. We'll be in covered paddock space 9 with the clown car MR2.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We had the same problem with shoulder belts when we first built our car.

Some bolt ins are adjustable at the mounting end. 

I consider it a rough adjustment and is almost necessary to get the belts to work for various drivers and seat positions.

Sometimes there isn't enough adjustment at the latched to accommodate everyone and you will have to adjust the rear.

Do what Pat said.  If you fail to get that done, I should have an extra harness at the track.  We should be along pit wall near pit out.

A side note, your cross bar for you cage does not appear to go all the way across from left to right.  It is probably to close to the seat to use for a harness bar and the welds are not very pretty.

Troy
#35 LRE

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Do what Pat said.

Wash, rinse, repeat. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You will need to put your battery in a box too.

Marine battery boxes are $20 at any auto parts store. You must have your battery bolted to the car with a metal bracket, then encased in a box.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Thanks for the info, I'll try and get my hands on the the wrap around slides as soon as possible.  We'll have the battery encased and bolted down well when we get done.

-Tom

I don't see any padding on the bars near your head,  but you may not have gotten than far yet.

Unrelated, but there is no way I'd race in a car with a stock seat.  What are yoour plans for the sub belt?  Got any pics of that?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We have the padding ready to go as well, but probably be the last thing we install. Pics are from when were finalizing all the wiring for everything.  We were thinking of getting a different seat but our financial and time budget was getting tight.  If anything just to be lower than stock because even with seat all the way down the head room is minimal with the cage present and wearing a helmet, So maybe for the next race it will happen.

The sub belt is there.  We referenced our biggest crotched driver in the seat and cut a clean slot through the seat down and slightly back to clear the frame and coil underneath.  The slot ended up about 1/3 the distance from the front edge of the seat meaning the other 2/3s is butt/crotch area if that makes sense.  It will be mounted through the floor in line with the drivers tosro as best as we can with the grade 8 hardware, 3" load washers, etc.

-Tom