Topic: Bitten off more than can chew!

Just wanted to drop by and say hi and will hopefully see more than a few of you at MRS in Huston.  We bought our first car, a 1985 MR2 with more than a few issues with it, namely being a clutch problem.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z141/donuteatinsob/Lemons/IMAG0229.jpg

And so begins the transformation to Lemon race car.  Now I have no ambitions other than making it to the track and across the line for our first race since this was an exercise to get some of my peeps together to do something fun.  I figure once we prep the car, get it ready for the race and some "racing" such as it it since we have no experience, the flames will be lit and then off we go to more than a few Lemons' races in the future. 

I know there are a few of you out there with MR 2s and was hoping to get some sage advice on stuff and where to look for parts.  Our team is out of the DFW Metroplex so some pointers on where to look for things.  I think the biggest one will be the roll cage.  Thanks for any knowledge you can pass on to a new team just getting into the Lemons spirit!

Re: Bitten off more than can chew!

Hola! If you're trying to get ready for MSR-Houston in September then you'd better get on it! The toughest thing about getting the MR2 ready to race is caging it since it's so small and some of the sheet metal rivals aluminum foil for thickness. But MR2's are fun as hell on the racetrack if/when you can get them to run and not blow up (yes, I'm not joking). It is possible as a lot of teams around here have figured out, some of us the hard way smile

If you want to see a car that's run in a few races, I'm in North Dallas and am in town all week this week. If you and your crew want to come by and have a beer and take a look at the car (lots of times it's easier to see what you might want to do rather than just write about it), please feel free to email me and we can set up a time some evening this week. Cheers and welcome to the club!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

3 (edited by donuteatinsob 2010-07-19 02:08 PM)

Pat,

Thanks for the advice and the offer of taking a look at yours.  I'll see if I can gather up a few of us.  Right now looking at grabbing an Autopower roll cage since that seems to be the one out there that is the standard for using on the MR2s.  I figure once we get the cage, the clutch replaced and do a few other odds and ends like rip out the interior, install the seat and harness plus gut out all but the essential electronics we should be good to go.  I'll drop you a line as soon as I get some feedback from the team, y'all can regale us with tales of the Lemon since the TARP team are veterans of more than a few events.

Curtis

You should consult John at Evil Genius about the Autopower cage.  He is one of the tech guys for Lemons.  Not all Autopower cages will just pass tech.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I'm in Dallas as well and we're going to have Joe (forddragracer) do our cage.  He's up north of town, a little past Denton.  You can search for his handle on these forums and send him an email if you're interested.

We're still getting some things together before we get our cage installed, so I don't have any first hand testimonials, but he's done a lot of Lemons cages and came highly recommended from several other teams.  And his price was very good compared to some of the other shops I had talked to.

We can't make MSR in Sept unfortunately, but we'll be at the New Orleans race in November.

Good luck.

donuteatinsob wrote:

Pat,

Thanks for the advice and the offer of taking a look at yours.  I'll see if I can gather up a few of us.  Right now looking at grabbing an Autopower roll cage since that seems to be the one out there that is the standard for using on the MR2s.  I figure once we get the cage, the clutch replaced and do a few other odds and ends like rip out the interior, install the seat and harness plus gut out all but the essential electronics we should be good to go.  I'll drop you a line as soon as I get some feedback from the team, y'all can regale us with tales of the Lemon since the TARP team are veterans of more than a few events.

Curtis

Curtis,
Taking a look at Pat's cage will help you a lot.
When you build a cage for the MR2 it is very important to get the cage as high as you can against the roof line. There is very little room for error, your drivers will have issues with their helmets, and with seat location. I have built two cages for the MR2 there are two things to note. Build Nascar bars for your door bars, if you don't you will need a shoe horn to get in and out. Get the front bars as close to the pillars as you can, this is  another  entry, exit, situation. Pat would concur also that a removable steering wheel is a necessity. He drove my car at Sears and bitched about getting in and out with my stock steering wheel. (YES, I know Pat!) If you would like you can go to our blog page about the second MR2 and look at the early stages of the build to see how I built the second cage in this MR2. I learned a lot the second time around.
I hope it can be of some use. P.S. Look up Bill Strong, he is another MR2 freak and is the master mind behind the MR2 owners club. http://www.mr2oc.com/index.php He at one point was putting a Cadillac V8 in one, and then he found Lemons and I think for the moment his priorities have changed :-) Good luck with your build and welcome aboard.

Bender

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Curtis:

Ditto what Paul said about the cage. Make sure to get the main hoop all the way up against the roof. There's a way to do this that is non-intuitive but that the WRC cage guys all do that makes it so much easier to do a cage in the tiny confines of the MR2 chassis. I wish that I'd known about it before we did our cage, but live and learn, right?

Then you have to decide if you're doing a halo design for the roof parts or bars that go from the floor by the front of the door sills all the way up to the roof and back to the main hoop. Either way, the bar that follows the top of the door inside the roofline needs to be as far toward the door opening as possible. With the way that the center fuel bulkhead is slanted, it's really a challenge to get good room for your helmet inside the cage without having your helmet on that bar to the left of the driver at all times.

Like I said, I'd be glad to show you all the what-not-to-do's that I learned from doing this car and what I'd do differently the next time. One thing is to keep it street legal, which means leaving the lights, turn signals, horn, and e-brake. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to test your changes to the car if you don't make it illegal to run on the street smile

Couple of other quick notes:
-the 87-89 MR2's use a different rear suspension setup. Don't try to swap rear parts with those cars. The engine wire harness is different on those cars too as they went to a different impedence fuel injector setup.
-when you rip out the carpet and take out the seats you'll find that there's an iron bar that is spot welded to the floor under the seats. Nobody's sure why Toyota put it there but that's an easy 8-10 lbs that you can drop out of the car.
-Plan to run 15w50 or 20w50 oil if you want your bearings to last the whole race.
-Drain and flush your cooling system very well, then make sure to burp the system very well when you refill with pure distilled water. Otherwise the head tends to make steam and zap the head gasket.

Anyway, get in touch with me if/when you want to see how not to do it. smile

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for all the advice from everybody, this is one of the reasons I wanted to get involved in the Lemons events over every other type of racing event.  The willingness of people around here to offer up helpful advice is lot better than some of the other snooty clubs and events I have seen.  In the end its pretty much what I thought though is that the cage is critical to pass tech.  I wish I had more time to get a tube bender and practice up before fabricating my own cage.  No time for that now, so commence the rush to get a cage.

9 (edited by Mulry 2010-07-20 07:07 AM)

I don't have any personal experience with the Autopower cages but one thing that I would warn you about just from looking at them online is that you'll probably want to alter your driver's side door bar design. The dual door bar requirement is a little tough in cars with such a small vertical opening as ours for ingress and egress, and especially so with straight door bars (plus that makes fitting the seat harder too). If you can put in some Nascar-style door bars that bend out into the cavity that's formed when you skin your doors, it's a lot easier to get in and out of the car, especially in an emergency.

If you need to find someone to do a custom cage (it might be cheaper than the Autopower, especially with getting rid of the shipping cost), here are a couple guys who have poked around the forum:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2840

Also, this guy was doing cage repairs at the ECR race a couple months back:

Matt Lemons
lemco motorsports
972-293-6100
659 Grigsby Way Ste C
Cedar Hill, TX 75104
matt@lemcomotorsports.com
lemcomotorsports.com

I don't have any personal experience with either of these guys, so YMMV, but at least it's a start if you find yourself in a pinch needing to get the cage done and in the car. Cheers.

Its a right of passage for the gearhead faithful.

Bite off more then you can chew...and chew anyways!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

11 (edited by donuteatinsob 2010-07-22 08:26 PM)

Well thanks to Pat and him being generous for us to look over his teams car I feel a bit better now.  The cage is still haunting me but the rest of the work does not seem so bad.  I'm gonna try the Precision Racecraft guys tomorrow and see if we can get them to do a cage.  Barring that we will just get and Autopower and make some mods to it as needed.

there's an MR2 that ran new england this year that has the whole top chopped off it. that at least makes for an easy caging job, i'm sure...

Do yourself a huge favor and call Joe M ( forddragracer on this forum) cell  214-566-Eight Zero Eight Nine.  I haven't talked to him in a few weeks but last I knew, he was giving quotes for full custom cages that rival what you would pay for buying and modifying an Autopower cage, and was able to get one done fairly quickly.  But time is ticking for before Houston so at least give him a call tomorrow.  He is based out of Sanger.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

14 (edited by Hoosier Daddy 2010-08-19 02:36 PM)

Hey guys, just wanted to share that we were able to build a cage for this little MR2 this week. Here's the build gallery for those who are interested. MR2 cage

Lemco Motorsports

Curtis, get that clutch in and we'll see you in Houston!

Matt Lemons

Don't you need a bar across the passenger side door, and two on the driver's side?

m610 wrote:

Don't you need a bar across the passenger side door, and two on the driver's side?

Uh, I think you better look further into the gallery.  Matt took pictures throughout the process of the roll cage build.  He did an excellent job and got it back to us toot suite.

Looks good! I really like how high you guys got the main hoop, that's usually the toughest thing about the cage in this car.

If you ever have a weird problem where the starter won't even turn over, make sure to check the AM2 fuse. For some reason, it seems to go pretty easy; I think it's only a 7.5A fuse but if it's not working, nothing works. Go figure.

Gimme a shout if you need any help with the clutch job.

Good to see another Lemons car done by Matt.  I just booked a slot with him in October to get our car done.  Looks like he did a great job for y'all.

Mulry wrote:

Looks good! I really like how high you guys got the main hoop, that's usually the toughest thing about the cage in this car.

If you ever have a weird problem where the starter won't even turn over, make sure to check the AM2 fuse. For some reason, it seems to go pretty easy; I think it's only a 7.5A fuse but if it's not working, nothing works. Go figure.

Gimme a shout if you need any help with the clutch job.

Well we found out something interesting today - Toyota changed the crankshaft mid-year on the 1985 MR2s.  From January to June they had one type of clutch assembly and flywheel and July and on it had another clutch assembly and flywheel.  Found this out after buying the whole thing and looked at it when we went to put the transmission back on.  Needless to say there was quite a bit of swearing on mine and the team's part over that bit.  Went ahead and ordered the correct part this time and plan on spending some quality time after work this week to take a shot at it.

It kills me every time to know that all companies like to do stuff like that.  Nothing like changing a major part of the car mid year to really annoy people working on them.

The Whataburger sure was good after that little bit of disappointment, wasn't it Curtis? :-)

-Eric
Team Dead Presidents
MR2 President Yee-Haw Lemons Texas 2010 (Yes, it WAS bouncing up and down the WHOLE time!)

Well, we are still having clutch problems but at least the car runs and does move just with no real clutch action -

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z141/donuteatinsob/Lemons/IMAG0379.jpg

That is part of the team but not all.  Look forward to seeing everyone down in Houston!