1 (edited by SteveO 2010-08-13 08:28 AM)

Topic: Any one running the Labor Day Weekend 24 Hour Race at Nelsons Ledge ?

Apolizige up front not looking to insult Jay & the gang on their site. They have been Good to us. But we really liked Nelsons Ledge last year and have signed up to run with Used Cars 24 hour race over Labor Day weekend. I was wondering if any other Lemons teams also had signed up ? Thanks Steve O

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

Re: Any one running the Labor Day Weekend 24 Hour Race at Nelsons Ledge ?

We thought about it but decided to pass.  We are running both midwest races in october and that should be enough abuse on the car for this year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

This will be our 6th race with the old 240 Volvo. Ran Strafford 2 times 2008 & 2009, Nelson Ledges 2009,CMP 2010,Summit Point 2010
     We are also signed up for Chicago & then will close the year out with Florida. Then we will see what is left of the old car at that point. Starting work on a older Volvo 2 door sedan for the future.

Team Ded Bull Racing will be there with our Golf

We're running it.  Look for the inflatable ewe on the roof.

If we survives, maybe we can run one more Lemons event  this season.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

We'll be there

Matt Z
Baghdad Taxi
2010 - Capitol Offense 79th place CRX hybrid (burns both gas and oil)
2010 - Longest Day 24 hour at Nelson Ledges

Wanted to go, but they picked the wrong weekend schedule-wise.  Assuming they run in 2011, I would like to get on that track again.  Our paltry 3.5 hours with the Miata last time in the 24 hour Lemons race didn't really quinch my thirst for the place.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We took a pass too ultimately.  Wanted to go back but the schedule didn't allow it.

9 (edited by kklemmo 2010-08-16 07:17 PM)

Lucky Monkey Racing will be there.

Planning on doing the 384 hours of Lemons as well as looking at taking our lack of talents to South Beach as well.

kklemmo wrote:

Lucky Monkey Racing will be there.

Planning on doing the 384 hours of Lemons as well as looking at taking our lack of talents to South Beach as well.

Dang, you guys are hardcore!

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Just a update. Finished up the race in 2nd place with 833 Laps=1666 miles total !!! Shame only 13 cars showed up. Most were Lemons racers. But neat 12 cars finished. Racing was Great. Track was Great lot's of high speed fun just not a lot of door to door racing. People that ran the event & the track people treated us very well. We had a Blast love finishing a True 24 hour race nothing like it.

We went as well. The small field was kind of disappointing, but hopefully that will change as they do more events there. 

The people were great, and the track was super fun - 86mph average speed on our fast lap!  AVERAGE!

It was our first true 24 and it was worth it. One of our drivers tried to single-handedly remove the tire barrier in the carousel (3-ish hours to replace entire LF suspension and steering) and then we sprung a brake fluid leak an hour later (1 hour to repair) and I was ready to pack it in at 5am, but I'm so glad we didn't!

#30 Chump Ganassti Nissan M3-R

race was great, if half the people who complained about Lemons not going back to nelson showed up, there would have been a hell of a lot more cars on track there

We really wanted to go, but it just wasn't in the budget.  With Lemons, Chump Car and now UsedCar, we have more local races than we can possibly attend.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

15 (edited by davisriley 2010-09-06 05:07 PM)

eljefe17 wrote:

race was great, if half the people who complained about Lemons not going back to nelson showed up, there would have been a hell of a lot more cars on track there

If Lemons went back, it would be full, with a hell of a waiting list.  Most people(myself included) are pretty wary of the other series.  I am running the ChumpCar race this weekend, and a few weeks ago it was cancelled, then not cancelled.  They have cancelled events before, shortened them, etc.  UsedCar cancelled the first race they were going to have at Nelson's this year.  Lemons has the following, has the money, and people go to their events.  Period.  They have a great product, and we are all hooked on it.  The other series do not have the followers or the resources, yet.  I wish them well, and more than likely we will go to any Nelson's event next year, regardless of who runs it.  This year was not in the cards only because I was out of town.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

We did the event.  Got 3rd place, mostly 'cause not too many others showed up. Qualified 13th out of 13.  That's right, they ran qualifying laps during Friday's night practice to determine the grid for saturday's start.  Pretty cool.  cool

The NL folks and UC people were nice to us.  Our seat back brace failed tech (wait, what, we need a seat brace?).  After we ran to Summit racing and totally struck out there on a seat brace, we were helped out by the track tech barn w/ the use of their MIG and scrap metal pile.  I know they can't be that generous to everybody when there are 120 cars in the race, but they were able to save our bacon this time, and we do appreciate it.

In NL tradition, the weather was hot Friday, then rainy, then cold and windy overnight, cold & gray saturday, clear sat night, then sunny & mild sunday.  The Junk Player team had track tires, rain tires and snow tires.  They are locals, so maybe we need to bring snows to the next race.

The racing was clean & safe.  There were some seriously fast cars (volvo turbo, DSM turbo, V6 fireo) and some not so fast cars (us), so we gave point-bys and got a few point-bys. 

I got a front row seat for the classic slow car/fast car corner collision.  Slow car tries to maximize momentum through the turn by going extra wide at entry before arcing all the way in to early apex, and fast car takes that as an invitation to cut inside.  Slow car turns in for apex, and collects the fast car that coming inside.  Oops.  Luckily, I didn't get involved, and was able to squirt through the hole after they spun apart.

And thanks the M3R car for opening up that dang tire pinch at carousel exit.  Sorry to hear it tore up the car so bad.

The race organizers say they will definitely hold the UsedCar race twice next year, spring & fall.  We will be there, it's close, the price is reasonable, and its a real 24 hour race.  I hope to see a few more lemoneers there.

Jim C.

I hopped on board with Jim and the "german sheep" as the Nelson Radio put it (something about it being very hard -NOT- to pronounce the team name without some FCC/family-friendly debacle I'm sure) I loved the event. seems like the paddock area's getting better over last October. Everyone was really nice, stewards, racers, team personnel. Shame we didn't get 40-60 cars out there, but despite the lame-sounding field of 13, there was some GREAT racing action, especially in the middle of the night and the closing hours. groups of battles between 1-2, 3-8th, and 8th back ensured a few nail-biting bids for the finish! I know the mid-west schedule between chump and Lemons plus it being labor-day weekend made this a tough bid for a great deal many of you. I'm definitely in for another one whenever they schedule it though. The guys at NL put together a good race, and I think it will only get better. I really have to hand it to the Pink Ladies, The Keystone Kops, The Junk Players, and Team Ded Bull for really giving us a tough fight to the end!

it's understandable to be wary after the canceled race earlier in the year, and i sure as hell was worried that it would happen again too.  most of the people i talked to when i was debating on running cited that as the reason they weren't considering it.  and with the late rescheduling and labor day weekend it was tough for people to get their budgets/personal schedules to conform to making it happen.

like serj said, in spite of the low turn out there were good battles going on the whole race. and with fewer cars, you actually got to drive and figure out lines rather than dodge traffic and parade around for laps on end under full course yellows, of which i think there were only 2 all race

i was just trying to say that this option is out there for those of us who were craving another true 24hr at nelson again after last year's event

Glad to hear everyone had good things to say about this race.

I could see us there next year.  We will be watching closely for the 2011 schedules to come out.

We had a great time although our car blew the head gasket only 3 hours in and heat warped the valves. Unfortunately for us our spare head somehow missed getting loaded. Oh, well. The other teams were fantastic to race against and I think people from every team came over and tried to help us get going again. I didn't mind the smaller field as it gave a nice clear track for my 3 rookie drivers. I will definitely be taking my team back next year, along with more parts...lol

Matt Z
Baghdad Taxi
2010 - Capitol Offense 79th place CRX hybrid (burns both gas and oil)
2010 - Longest Day 24 hour at Nelson Ledges

The Junk Player Special, aka Stella the ugly VW finished with a totally plugged kitty litter converter. Word is that she's unplugged and running strong now (if you discount the 206,000 miles and 3 complete 24 hour races). Watch out next year!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

The Junk Player Special, aka Stella the ugly VW finished with a totally plugged kitty litter converter.

I remember talking to you guys in the early AM hours and saying "Your car sounds weird now.  It 'whooshes' kinda like it landed on the exhaust pipe."

So I wasn't imagining it in my burnt out, sleep deprived state.

Jim C.

hey spud; i actually expected you guys to be our toughest competitor in this event. I know i've talked to a few of you on occasion, and this was your home track? you guys had some pretty crazy aggressive attacks on the big loop at the end of the back straight. Gotta love that pleated ground effects skirt with the tires squealing, lol

We had a great time at the race as well.  We really didn't mind the lack of entries at all.  The teams that were there were great to be around.  Was hoping for a trouble free race and a podium, but had some alternater coming loose problems.  Will go back next year for sure!

Kris
Lucky Monkey Racing