Topic: garage floor paint

On a day that was going to crap at work it was quickly turned around with a $150 spot bonus from the client for get a project done ahead of schedule.  Only the 2nd time in my company's ~60 year history that this has happened.  As an old engineering firm I bet the other time was a case of scotch back when the president's office had a full bar and contracts were signed over a glass or three.

But I digress.  It got better when I told my wife about it and she insisted I spend it on something I wouldn't normally buy for myself.  Having just finished painting the exterior of the house this weekend and wrapping up the garage next weekend the first thing that popped into my mind was to paint (or cover) the garage floor.  My wife (god bless her) suggested a snap together race deck (~$1200 for my size garage) but me being the humble (and more practical, I'd rather get a new set of tires for my still unfinished PCH) husband I'd rather go with an epoxy coating.  The Rustoleum products look good and I've had nothing but good things to say about their spray paint.  Any suggestions from fellow LeMoners?  The garage is ~18'W x 22' long.  It'll hold two 356's with room to spare for my workbenches and other storage items. 

Thanks

Christopher

Re: garage floor paint

I did my garage in what I think was the rustoleum stuff sold at Home Depot-- it was an old garage floor so it took me 2 days to clean it, another day to etch it, another to prime it, then the actual laying down of epoxy was easy.

I know I know, it says wash and degrease and let dry, but if you look at how the pro stuff is installed it is etched then primed/sealed then the epoxy put down. If I had to do it again I'd have it done professionally if I could afford it. But I'm happy with the outcome and if I HAD to do it again myself I would. However, I've beat the living crap out of one half of the garage floor and it does chip and scratch up, even with that prep work.

Another tip: Use DOUBLE what they suggest. Put it on thick, dripping, goopey --the roller not even rolling just sliding practically-- if you want the nice glossy sheen that looks like the whole floor was just dipped and hung to dry.

The prep work is everything. Follow the instructions. Be sure and use safety precautions - if it calls for a respirator, use one. If the product you use allows multiple coats, do multiple coats. If you can mix in sand or some other no-skid product, do it. Coated floors are more slippery than a Z06 on 185/70R15s. No matter what the advertising says chemicals can stain the floor.

I did my garage and it's one of the best things that I've done.  +1 on everything Erik says above - except for the 185/70R15.  He's lying about that, they won't clear the brake rotors.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You're in Oakland, which means you are only a 5min drive down 880 from where they make the good stuff.  http://www.tricoat.com/index.html

You want Tripoxy HB: http://www.tricoat.com/assets/files/tds … poxyHB.pdf

It comes in white but they will make it in any color you ask for.  This stuff will beat up any Rustoleum product and take its lunch money smile

-Tim

squirrelly_z600 wrote:

You're in Oakland, which means you are only a 5min drive down 880 from where they make the good stuff.  http://www.tricoat.com/index.html

You want Tripoxy HB: http://www.tricoat.com/assets/files/tds … poxyHB.pdf

It comes in white but they will make it in any color you ask for.  This stuff will beat up any Rustoleum product and take its lunch money smile

-Tim

White??  The pdf says: "Tripoxy HB is stocked in black.  Custom colors available; 100 gallon minimum order is required.  Special costing will be applied."

How much does this stuff cost anyhow?

OverStimulated wrote:

White??  The pdf says: "Tripoxy HB is stocked in black.  Custom colors available; 100 gallon minimum order is required.  Special costing will be applied."

How much does this stuff cost anyhow?

That's just the standard boiler plate text because they do so much heavy industrial, marine, and aerospace business with it.  They have always had it in white for the last 10 years I've been buying it despite what the .pdf says.  They're super nice people on the phone and in person.  Last time I used some they went out in the shop and set up two gallon cans while I waited.

Thanks squirrelly_z600.  I'll check them out and see if I can work the "I'm a mechanical engineer looking for a product to coat some steel and concrete for floats and piers in the Bay Area. Can I get a gallon or two for control testing on my garage floor." angle.

I helped my dad put down the UCoatIt stuff on his garage. It's pretty great, we've had to redo the clear coat once after countless hours of cutting, grinding, and other forms of abuse have been heaped on the coating. It's pretty good stuff.

As mentioned, the prep is the big part. We used muriatic acid to etch the floor. It's nasty stuff and will eat metal really bad. Wear crappy clothes and move anything metal out of the work area, even the vapors will tear stuff up.

I'd advise against adding any sand to the coating for traction, it will make sweeping up difficult. We use a dustmop to sweep the floor and it makes clean up a breeze. I'd think the sand would hold dirt in the crevices created.The floor isn't slippery at all even when it's humid out.

I'd advise against adding any sand to the coating for traction, it will make sweeping up difficult. We use a dustmop to sweep the floor and it makes clean up a breeze. I'd think the sand would hold dirt in the crevices created.The floor isn't slippery at all even when it's humid out.

Our floor at work has the grit in it and it helps a lot without affecting sweeping up. Without it the floor's a big slip 'n slide.

I just used the colored sprinkles on top when it's wet and haven't had any slipping issues.

Go to a paint shop and buy some of this for a traction additive:  http://www.metalflakecorp.com/flake_chart.php?menu=37

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

I am interested in this as I have been helping a friend with his car issues and he has resources to have built a monster garage and man-cave, but the builder put in a polished concrete floor w/o asking him.  I'm helping him with his car collection but my gosh the concrete is slick.  I can't load up a wrench or push a car w/o sliding all over the place.  Its also dusty, laying on the floor will get you a little dirty compared to coated floors.

Will using a steel wheeled jack harm the floor?  flat base Jackstands? 

I might have to check into tricoat ...  I've seen the rustoleum stuff.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Polished concrete can be a pretty delicate surface treatment sometimes. I'd think that you could find something to etch right through it before painting.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Will using a steel wheeled jack harm the floor?  flat base Jackstands?

The floor where I work was coated about 15 years ago. We drag big floor jacks across it all the time and it doesn't hurt it. We jack up 8000lb generators and set them on jackstands all the time without any problems. Sometimes the floor gets scuffed, but I consider that normal wear and tear. If you drop a 5 pound chunk of steel from waist height you'll probably chip it. Also, if there's a seam in the concrete, be sure and prep it well and get the coating thick in there. We had to have one of the seams in our floor fixed.