Re: Recommended tire and pads?

Is your credit card on fire yet?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

52 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-17 12:33 PM)

It's begging for mercy. Just got paid yesterday though, so it's happy tongue

Big props to carbotech, by the way. Ordered yesterday at 2:00, they were here today at 3:00. It helps that they're only being shipped 2 hours away, but still, stand up guys.

Star specs on the way, kill switch on the way, going dumpster diving tomorrow for some wiring and a spare rim. Wee. Next week is going to be fun, between car prep, exams, and finding a place to test it.

Next week is going to be fun, between car prep, exams, and finding a place to test it.

Just tag it and drive it to the event, right?

54 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-18 08:26 AM)

I hopped on this project 2 weeks ago and pointed out that a bunch of things were not right, so now we're scrambling to get it ready in time. None of us has ever done this whole "racing" thing before, so we're kind of flying by the seat of our pants.

So how would y'all recommend we bed these brakes in? I'd rather not sit around for 30 minutes at the start of the race waiting for the brakes to cool after a few laps of running. Any way to get this done on the street? we have about 1 mile of straight road we can blast up and down right outside our shop.

EDIT:
Reading StopTech's recommended bedding procedure seems doable given our facilities. We don't have StopTech brakes, but the theory is the same right?
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_be … ance.shtml

The first laps are on yellow.  If you don't get a chance to properly bed them then just take it easy on the brakes for a few laps and you'll do fine.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

About 10 60 to 10mph stops should be good. I would do this before the race so if there's any problem you can investigate it.

57 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-09-18 01:48 PM)

Or you can do like we did. Show up to the track with absolutely no more run-time that it takes to load the car on the trailer. Get through tech so late that as soon as you pull onto the track they're waving the green flag. Do three laps to get the brakes hot and then get black-flagged for an oil leak. Pull into the pits and spend 5 hours fixing your engine to let your brakes cool down. Bed-in procedure completed!

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not really helpful. Just letting you know that if that happens you won't look like total fools. It's pretty much SOP for at least one team per event. We were THAT team at Omaha.

The Hawk Brakes bed-in procedure has worked excellent for me on all brakes. it's pretty much sergio's comment. basically a cycle of 2 gentle, then 2 hard slow-downs (instructions say specifically DO NOT come to a complete stop) it works a treat, doable in an alley if need be

Glad you found some pads. We ran Porterfield R4E's this spring on our Civic, using Integra rotors and calipers on the front with Valvoline SynPower brake fluid. The rear brakes were Integra calipers and rotors with cheapie DangerZone pads. The pedal felt as good at the end as it did at the start. Best of all, there's at least 2/3 pad remaining.

We ran a LOT of ducting, aiming the outlet directly at the rotor just below the caliper. I think that really helped a lot. Even with that, the front rotors have a purple tint now, they got HOT.

We ran the older Falken RT615, not the K. They felt sort of greasy when they got good and hot but not alarmingly so. I've heard lots of good things about the Dunlops.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Dunlops are in, pads are in. Just have to get them installed/mounted. Should be cake right? Hah.

We're going have a fun story for Jalopnik or whoever else when this is all done with.