Topic: Set of rain tires vs running what ya brung

At the last Houston race we attended we had a hard time controling our front heavy, rear drive car during the rainy times.  I'm contemplating getting a set of rain tires for just such an occasion.  The question would be is a good investement for the rain tires that may be used or should i just buy a set of good road tires and run slower in the rain.  If you do run rain tires, what kind do you use?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Re: Set of rain tires vs running what ya brung

I thought anything with treads was a rain tire.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Dave,
What tire are you running now?

I haven't had Star Specs on the track in the rain, but they are on my street car, and I am surprised at how good they handle water and wet conditions.

As was said, pretty much anything with tread can be considered a rain tire. Thats the real reason for having tread blocks and sipes in the first place.

i think you slipped up...now we'll be looking for those Hoosiers you must be running in the dry, given your need for dedicated rain tires.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

The Star Specs work well in the rain. But they need to be half tread depth or more. Below that they are like slicks. And no telling how they work when the air temp is in the 40's. Probably need to drop the air pressure 10lbs so they can warm up.

I have a swell set of Yokohama Paradas that would work fantastically as a set of rain tires in the for sale section!

Holy shit! What is the date stamp on those paradas?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

komododave wrote:

At the last Houston race we attended we had a hard time controling our front heavy, rear drive car during the rainy times.  I'm contemplating getting a set of rain tires for just such an occasion.  The question would be is a good investement for the rain tires that may be used or should i just buy a set of good road tires and run slower in the rain.  If you do run rain tires, what kind do you use?

Rain tires for racing depend on the conditions..
Heavy pouring down rain calls for open tread to move the water and keep tires from hydro planning.  (GoodYear Gator backs is one example)  You can run with a tread life of 2 and not wear them out..  Also narrow tires.. to put load on the tread to squish down past the rain layer.
  Mist /damp you want a lot of sipping.  however you can go wider.. You'll also want higher tread wear because sipping will quickly wear out rubber..

Trevor57 wrote:

Holy shit! What is the date stamp on those paradas?

Not sure.  I bought them after Buttonwillow last year, I've only had them for a year or so.

OMGuar wrote:

Mist /damp you want a lot of sipping.  however you can go wider.. You'll also want higher tread wear because sipping will quickly wear out rubber..

i don't think you should be drinking tires.  wink

12+-time loser

sipping, not drinking, silly

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

sipping, not drinking, silly

good point.  tires ought to be savored like good bourbon, not guzzled like cheap beer.

12+-time loser

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/successful_troll.jpg

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Hoosier wets. Do it... do it.

Buzz Killington wrote:

i think you slipped up...now we'll be looking for those Hoosiers you must be running in the dry, given your need for dedicated rain tires.  wink

I am about to throw away about 20 hoosiers thise weekend because I haven't been using them for a while. Too bad they are 18s and have no use on our lemon.

What size and how old?

17 (edited by komododave 2010-10-02 11:09 AM)

JBgotM wrote:

Dave,
What tire are you running now?

I haven't had Star Specs on the track in the rain, but they are on my street car, and I am surprised at how good they handle water and wet conditions.

As was said, pretty much anything with tread can be considered a rain tire. Thats the real reason for having tread blocks and sipes in the first place.

The tires I'm running are...the ones that came one the discount rims I bought.....
I bought a set of mustang rims and tires with 80% tread left on most of them.  The guy bought new rims and wanted to ditch his 17x8s for $150 with the tires, so I couldn't pass that up.  They're performance tires but pretty road biaseed.  Our rear end was out on almost every turn at Yeehaw last year and between that and our crap brakes we gracefully exited the track so as to not endanger anyone.  I can't remember the brand but one is mismatched.  I'm buying a set of 15x7s now to have as a secondary (primary?) set.  I was looking at star specs but I couldn't seem to find that small a diameter.  Any thoughts?

2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix

Buzz Killington wrote:

Even Hoosiers won't sober up our drunken hippopotamus.