Topic: Ratchet Straps: A thrifter's discussion.

So I realized tonight that although I have purchased about 20-30 ratchet straps since 2008, I currently own a total inventory of...7.

Amongst a locking toolbox for my truck new replacement ratchet straps are on my to buy list.  However, I am not really excited about spending $200 on buying straps (I own a 42' enclosed, and an open, and like to keep straps for each).

Any you guys found a good place online that sells 2'' straps that don't suck?  I know over the years I've bought a few that the ratcheting mechanisms have sucked, or that have torn after 2-3 uses.

Just curious if anyone has been previously thrifty in shopping for these, and if I could steal the researching you did and just order some.

The best deal I've found so far is Summitt has some EZ Track ones for $15 a pop that are 12' long, then I can just keep them in my trailer, but I still don't wanna spend that much, when I'm trying to save up for more important things for my shop, like a lathe and stand-up arcade machine.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Re: Ratchet Straps: A thrifter's discussion.

mikespeed95 wrote:

...when I'm trying to save up for more important things for my shop, like a lathe and stand-up arcade machine.

Or Lemons entry fees?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thats 6 months away and only 1/4 my problem!

I've already got my Lemons fund set aside.

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

FYI - I saw pics of that BMW you just brought back. For those cars (and similar ones) having a set of these, or a similar t-hook, is awesome ... it saves you from having to route the straps through a wheel or around an axle and risk getting it torn.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/trailering … -p455.aspx

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

All I know about straps is that Home Depot is (usually) cheaper than Harbor Freight, and that they're all made in China anyway, so just buy the cheapest ones you can find and replace as needed.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

For holding down the car, grab some nice expensive 3" straps (And really, it would take effort to lose those). For holding down everything else, whatever the hell is at Home Depot or Harbor Freight in their $12 6-pack is just fine IMO.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I'm not losing them, I'm pretty sure they are being borrowed without my knowledge.

60$...I'll just install tow hooks lol.

I googled this morning, apparnetly ratchetstraps.com has some good deals, which is the 1st time I've ever seen an internet store with a name and a seemingly legitimate business behind it for a niche item like that.

Figured this was on other peoples minds too which is why thread was made.

Mike Peters

I went to the local tool wholesale company and bought a two-pack of 2" 10,000lb tow straps. It cost $20, but they're strong and easy to use.

Make sure and check your tow straps for damage before each use!