Topic: Tow rig trans: E40OD. Self rebuild or?

There's quite a knowledgable group here, so thought I'd throw this out:

Got a 1994 E350 with only 83K miles on it- 7.3L non-turbo diesel. I keep getting trouble codes: FIPL switch and Excessive Torque Converter Slip. I replaced the FIPL with a motorcraft part and set it within the recommended volts. no codes for a while (and by that I mean for the next 2 drives) but then it tripped again-- same two codes and it gets sent into safe mode-- full pressure shifts.

From what I've read there's a valve that cracks that causes torque converter slip. I've never ever ever seen the inside of an Automatic trans (well, maybe once) but I have changed a complete transmission on a isuzu npr box truck, and I can rebuild a mini's manual transmission, I've discovered.

That said, this commonly cracked valve thing-- is it a drop the pan and replace the part sort of thing? and could I likely get by by just replacing the torque converter? Or should I attempt a full rebuild myself? Or I guess I could kiss the next 3 Lemons races I want to do good-bye (on the 2011 calendar, of course) and use that entry money to have another tranny professionally installed or rebuilt?

Tranny shows no obvious signs of slipping. However, if I'm looking for it the rpms do come down slightly (100-200rpms or so) after cresting a hill for maintaining the same speed (if I watch the tach and speedo like a hawk). Rev sensor seems fine-- no jumping around and I pulled, cleaned and reinstalled it just because.

Thanks for any pointers.

Re: Tow rig trans: E40OD. Self rebuild or?

Worst that can happen is that you get it apart and can't make it go back together. Drop it, pull it apart, find anything that looks broken, take it to Napa or wherever and say "Give me one of these"

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If you can rebuild a Mini box, you can do anything. I never really got the hang of the diff shimming procedure....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

4 (edited by ronman 2010-10-07 06:04 PM)

This should give you a good overview:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/

That said, I don't think you need a rebuild.
My knowledge is admittedly both limited and Dodge-biased, but the lack of slip and presumably debris in the pan and burnt fluid means that you've got a control system problem. In Dodge diesel-land, the fixes for your problems would be a $350 aftermarket valve body and a new, beefy aftermarket torque converter. I know this because I am in the process of shopping for a new converter for my dually.
I'll let someone with more Ford AT knowledge fill in the details, but I suspect you've just got a bad solenoid or accumulator or governor or spring or seal somewhere in there and I don't think you should be gearing up for a rebuild. Dropping the pan and valve body, sure, but definitely not a rebuild.
Another handy side effect of an aftermarket valve body, by the way, is higher TCC (torque converter clutch) circuit pressure, which can prolong your existing converter's lifespan.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Swapping the valve body (if that is indeed the issue) is not difficult.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like I'll find a valve body and a torque converter and try that part myself.

Finding a valve body and throwing a TransGo shift kit at it would be a VERY good idea.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones