Topic: Lemons at the runoffs

Me and my old man went to the SCCA runoffs at Road america a few weeks ago.  He decided to wear his Lemons hoodie,( cause its bloody cold in Wisconsin this time of year!)  Anyways, the sheer number of people that saw the logo and then wanted to chat us up about Lemons was amazing.  We ran into a few other Lemons racers, people that had read about the series, people that had heard about it from another racer, etc, etc, etc, etc...  The questions were endless, but it was great fun to have so many people interested in the races wer had run.  I just thought it was funny I wear SCCA and WAI attire all the time, and no one wants to talk about any of those races,  plus to have people more interested in talking to us about Lemons...when there was an amazing GT3 race going on at the time.

Hopefully we talked a few more people into joining in on the fun.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Lemons at the runoffs

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Me and my old man went to the SCCA runoffs at Road america a few weeks ago.  He decided to wear his Lemons hoodie,( cause its bloody cold in Wisconsin this time of year!)  Anyways, the sheer number of people that saw the logo and then wanted to chat us up about Lemons was amazing.  We ran into a few other Lemons racers, people that had read about the series, people that had heard about it from another racer, etc, etc, etc, etc...  The questions were endless, but it was great fun to have so many people interested in the races wer had run.  I just thought it was funny I wear SCCA and WAI attire all the time, and no one wants to talk about any of those races,  plus to have people more interested in talking to us about Lemons...when there was an amazing GT3 race going on at the time.

Hopefully we talked a few more people into joining in on the fun.

Well said..   I have a whole bunch of friends who are former SCCA racers and Vintage racers..  The buy-in to be competitive in those events is so high as to be outside the reach of all but a handful of people.
  Lemons racing puts the buy-in at $500 and you are punished if you cheat. 
Plus the actual cost of racing (per lap) is a tiny fraction of SCCA/Vintage.  New racing tires work harden and to be competitive you show up with new sets for every event..   Frequent engine overhauls are the nature of engines built and used at the very ragged edge of destruction..
In fact some engine freshenings will cost more than a Lemons competitor will spend in several seasons.  (without a chance to win the bag of nickles)
  That plus the shear lunacy and variety of cars racing adds a flavor to Lemons racing that others can't even hope for..

I picked up a driver at an SCCA event.

I've raced with lots of SCCA and NASA guys at this point.

As long as we're having a good time, we're doing it right.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

A "driver", huh....is that what they call it these days?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I don't know but anytime you say SCCA or NASA around the Judges, it ain't gonna be pretty...

sergio wrote:

I don't know but anytime you say SCCA or NASA around the Judges, it ain't gonna be pretty...

Funny...the IMSA patch on my suit never seems to do anything!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

jimeditorial wrote:

A "driver", huh....is that what they call it these days?

I think it was NASCAR's Jr. Johnson who called his drivers spacers..
  They occupied the space between the steering wheeel and the seat back.