Topic: So, if the city council says no...

... to your proposal, in this case adding a kart rental business to an existing kart track that happens to be on land rented from the city (which they rent from the county), citing noise and pollution...

... we were able to talk to three Council members independently of each other. None of them were supportive of the kart rental due to noise, air quality and neighborhood sensitivity. If you wish to continue pursuing the request you need to let me know. I would recommend that you not continue pursuing it because I cannot guarantee what might happen with your current lease at a public meeting before the Council. I know that you and Bernard put a lot of time and effort into this and I appreciate your patience with us.  I will continue to keep you in the loop on the Sports Park EIR.

What do you do?

We live in a pretty liberal (lefty closed minds, as opposed to righty closed minds) town that calls itself a bike town and want to do its part to solve the global warming problem. Fine. I already ride my bike and I recycle.

But these rental karts are quieter than a typical electric lawn mower, and they run clean, and the track is just outside of the town limits, and the nearest house is nearly 1/2 mile away. So, the council is just wrong on this. They just made up those reasons.

Google Maps link - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou … h&z=17

I know that all kinds of motor sports facility run into problems with local agencies, but does anyone have any creative ideas, things that have been done, that helped? We're writing letters, but we have nixed the idea of pipe bombs. wink (Dear FBI, that was a joke.)

Re: So, if the city council says no...

Electric karts?

Fun electric karts
http://www.drivenraceway.com/home.htm

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

You need to appeal to their other green side (as in money). Tell them how big of an industry karting is: track rental, karts, safety clothing and gear. Then mention how it promotes other businesses that ate heavily taxed: restaurants, gas stations, and hotels during championship races. Then seal the deal by playing their heart strings: karting is a sport mostly for young kids. It provides a 1-on-1 interaction between a mentoring adult & a young child. The type of children that, uncared for, would join a gang and live a life of drugs & violence.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Points we are covering in our letters include:

1. It has all the benefits of sports (Davis does a lot of sports, too)
2. Guidance for younger drivers, diversion from street racing
3. Learn respect for driving, won't kill themselves before they graduate high school
4. It is a family sport. Most teams at races are families.
5. Rebuttals to the claims of noise and pollution
6. Conducting driving clinics for high school kids, and girls
7. Karting has a 30 year tradition in this town

More stuff, too. Can't remember all. I'm writing something quite a bit longer than a letter, complete with pics of kids and families racing.

Still, its the snobbery and scapegoating of cars that I think will be the difficult part to beat.

We've discussed electrics. They are heavy and difficult to manage if you don't have a good size build to house everything in.

We've also discussed bio-fuels, ethanol. It can be done.

Wow. Subtly threatening your current lease if you pursue a new idea. Thems some smooth politics right there.

Is it possible to go directly to the source with each council member, maybe a nice lunch or two without sinking your ship? You need someone inside on your team.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I hate to say this - but you are much too close to the golf course - and I would bet a dollar to a doughnut (or is that the other way round?) that at least one of the council members has a membership there... or worse, owns it.

http://www.journalscene.com/images/blogs/paulz/Lemons/racing-4.jpg

1)  I suspect the quality of your political offerings is not up to the high standards of the politicians.  How much is this worth to you?  If it is more than the cost of lobbying a couple of councilmembers, then invest what it takes.

2)  It is one thing if you, a (potential) businessman, write a letter asking them to approve your plans.  It would have a lot more impact if you also have 7-year-old Billy, 9-year-old Cindy, and 23 of their friends whose parents live in the voting district write to their councilmembers and explain that for less money than a rock of crack, they can be enjoying wholesome activities at the track.  Have them include crayon drawings of stick-figure kids with happy faces as they zoom around the track.

3)  What kind of cash-strapped government would throw away a revenue opportunity over some environmental mumbo-jumbo nonissues?  Oh, yeah, you are in California.

I'm glad I live someplace that promotes kids getting involved in racing.  Look where $2.3 million of our tax dollars went:

http://www.dodson-hydro.com/ghsbd2/photos/hdp_ghsbd.jpg

I'd take a combination of the approaches suggested ( not so much the bribing part though unless you live near Chicago ).

If you are running the 4 stroke karts powered by the newer motors show them that they are more efficient and cleaner than a lawnmower.  The MFG of the motor, probably Briggs, will be glad to show off how good their new engines are.  Offer to run better than normal mufflers to keep the sound down.   If it's in your budget, offer to plant a hedgerow on the property line for appearance and sound control.  Explain the tax benefits to keeping the fun local.  That's the technical part.

Then show them how good clean family fun helps bond fathers and sons together and teaches children responsibility and safe driving.  Go to the emotions and if you can, find some of the council's own children who like or would like karting.

And if that doesn't work tell them you will use the pavement as a skate park and import all the nearby punk bands to play live music from 10am to 6pm every day.  wink

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Thanks for all of the input.

I know one of the council members personally. We were housemates back when we were poor students. I'm holding of contacting for now until I get a better lay of the land. (What really going on.)

Another team member knows another council member and has worked on projects with him. He's trying to connect up with that guy for a chat.

We are definitely pushing the "family sport" side of this. I have quite a few pics to offer, and am writing an article/essay on the subject that I'll illustrate with these and other photos of happy racers.

The rebuttal to the noise/air quality/neighbors part will be easy, and like ^ pointed out, these engines are quiet. They are even quieter than my electric lawn mower. I'm passing parts of the essay around for comment and I'm getting back excellent observations, such as these karts being the cleanest, quietest karts to have ever run at this track, and another person pointing out that currently the kids in town who do want to try karting make the 50+ mile round trip to Sacramento to do it.

I also have no problem pointing out that this is a great sport for girls, and that girls do well in it.

Another argument I'll purse, is that in addition to being a liberal arts-town, literature-town, education-town, bike-town, Davis is also a car town, and will recap the monthly cruise-ins and stats about local race shots and even a one pro driver (Justin Hall) and locals doing well in regional SCCA Solo2, and kids winning awards in karting.

Another is that karting is a sport, like all the other sports in town, and offers all the benefits of sports, plus, being equipment heavy, it teaches kids the stuff that makes for good engineers. Of course, while the other kids are home, indoors, alone, fiddling with a keyboard or joystick.

Another is the impact it can have on young drivers who might think reckless and hoonish behavior is cool. I drafted a letter for our local car club that emphasized that. In case you are interested, here is the link: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/dmc/DMC_Letter.pdf

One of DMC's former members is now a policeman. I've asked him to write, supporting this aspect of karting and similar outlets and guidance motor sports offers.

We are hoping that the hang up is a simple prejudice or misunderstanding of something that the council members don't really have strong feelings about, and maybe a few minutes talking to them and even a short demonstration will do the trick. If not, I think we have a local paper's instigator (local color/opinion columnist) on our side and he is already hammering the council for some nonsense stuff they are doing.

Lemme get this straight.....you're allowed to carry a handgun, but you can't open a kart rental business?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Interesting question, because the kart track is located right next to the police firing range/explosives training facility.

I'd still get a membership at the golf course next door and go to their next rah-rah function to press the flesh with whomever there has $$ and objections. Quite possibly similar membership to the users of the police gun range...
Just sayin'

Between karting and Team Tinyvette we've got several people at the golf course. None had mentioned any talk coming out of there regarding the track.

We've been talking to on city council member who was unaware of the problem we were having and is wondering why the parks dept hasn't approved this, and notes that this is yet more evidence for why it is difficult to start a business in this town.

There seems to be a big picture issue here, and that is Davis has been planning on building a big sports park somewhere on the edges of town. Big, as in 300,000+ visitors per year. The whole effort appears to be driven by developers who want to get a hold of valuable land inside the city, land that is currently parks and ball fields. The kart track site is one of three proposed locations for this park. This park plan in itself flies in the face of the noise/pollution/neighbors concerns cited. Plus, I guess they are ignoring the fact that the track is built on a former dump. You can't build buildings there, and the ground sinks here and there. You'd be hard pressed to keep a ball field level. Anyway, it seems unlikely that the park will actually happen in the next 5-10 years.

And at this point we still don't know which city council members gave their opinions on this, or if in doing so they were advised by the parks people, or who. Our efforts now are going towards finding out who are making these decisions and what they know or don't know.

You can also hire a company to take sound readings at different distances from the track even with the maximum amount of karts on the track.  With the above idea's (the ones that appeal to their bug loving, tree hugging, Bambi kissing philosophy) you should be able to rebut all their perceived concerns with scientific data and not emotional rhetoric.  With the scientific data that proves  how "clean" and "quiet" your karts really are, you then can appeal to the benefits for kids, families and the community at large.

Another response we got from a city council member after the Davis Motor Sports Club sent them a letter describing how a track like this helps further their goal of helping people get a start in safe and responsible motor sports while also actively discouraging street racing and such nonsense.

Nestor

Honestly, I am not currently supportive of this activity and of the use of city - owned site to enable it. I am actually somewhat uncomfortable with the current operation and would be interested in discontinuing it. In this, I think I am not alone. This general view probably should suggest that you might consider "letting sleeping dogs lie".

However, these views are not well grounded. I think it would be helpful to me to understand your current operations. Perhaps there is a time I can visit when activities are underway so that I can have a better sense of the sport and talk to you and others about your hopes for future activities.

Please let me know of some times that might be convenient.

Don

Apparently nothing stated in the letter merited addressing in the response, but the guy did openly admit that he disapproved of an activity he did not know anything about and is interested in finding out more about it. I guess that is progress.

Typical politician, he's "uncomfortable" and is interested in "discontinuing" the operation, he then admits he doesn't even understand your current operations.

Yes, I think our biggest hurdle will be overcoming the anti-car prejudice and knee-jerk reaction to the rental kart proposal. At least he's asking for info. We can certainly provide that and I think they will be impressed.