Topic: Blew up right as we were putting her on the trailer....

I got home and started getting ready to load the car onto to the trailer while my wife was getting the RV ready.  I started up the car, started warming it up, and was talking to my wife through the window.  It idled fine for a few minutes while we talked.  Then I heard it... tapping. 

I jumped out of the car to investigate only to hear it even louder now.  I knew deep down it was a rod but I so didn't want it to be true.  To be sure I called Jim, hopeful that there was something simple and I was over-reacting.  It wasn't.  When the car started up the next time it was way louder and clearly a rod.  We shut it off and let out a collective grooan.  All that work for nothing, we were going to watch from the sidelines.  My wife was unfazed once she heard the final diagnosis.  "They change motors all the time at the track" she said.  I knew this was true, but man this car had put up a fight to get ready.  How in the world could we rally and get this thing changed in time.  Where would we find the motor?  How would we get a motor swapped at this late hour?  Its a Wednesday and all of us had to work. We were leaving Thursday night - Friday morning.

We didn't ponder long.  In my garage was a basket case Camaro Berlinetta with a niceish looking 350 that I had bought for a parts car for the last race.  It had started once but the flywheel was junk.  I had hoped to put it all back together after the race as a fall/winter project.  It was covered in bits of shiny I wasn't sure belonged at a Lemons track but was put together very badly.  So we put together a plan, didn't give ourselves time to change our minds and hit the phones to call in for reinforcements. 

Jim had me get the Camaro and try and limp it back to his shop, but it complained too loudly and I shut it off a block down the street.  The next few miles on the odometer after 00043 we powered by a Ford.  Yeah I said it, a Ford Ranger bumper pushing me the distance to Jim's shop where all the tools were that we would need to get the job done.  I'm not sure if it was adrenalin or insanity but the motor came out in under an hour.  The team members we called had showed up at my house and were beginning the tear down on the other motor. 

Minutes after pulling the motor we were back at my house to finish taking the motor out on the Berlinetta.  It protested some, but about an hour or so afterwards it was loaded into the back of a waiting Ford Ranger and it too was off to the shop.  We left the Berlinetta there engineless and dripping fluids, tools strewn everywhere like something had exploded in my garage.  The Berlinetta would be the victim of a hatchet job of engine swap. 

We sent Bernie to get a paper and junk food, the paper we would take a picture of to prove when we pulled the motor.  After going to (I can only guess) Ohio and back Bernie came back just as the Berlinetta's motor was being dropped into the Iroc.   At this point we had more people than wrenches and it slowed us down a bit but we began hooking up everything taking directions from Jim to make sure we were doing something stupid.  Ok well stupid-er. 

Bolts flew in quickly and everyone worked well together almost like a well oiled machine, I said almost lol.  Before long we were staring at too much chrome in a Lemon but we had no clue if this beast would start up.  We didn't have a oil dipstick because of the iron headers, we probably are going to be carrying a couple dozen sockets to race track in the engine compartment but at around 2 a.m. the Lemons fired up and idled.  This will be motor number 3.  Hopefully 3 is our lucky number for car number 3.

Pictures of the engine transplant

Re: Blew up right as we were putting her on the trailer....

That's a good start for a Lemons race. Best of luck with #3!

Are you bringing a spare motor to the race?

Awesomeness!  Love this sport!  Go get 'em!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Well done! Go Dale!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

6 (edited by Mulry 2010-10-07 10:14 AM)

Freaking fantastic! Never say die. Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I need to clone you.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

2 post lift: Must have.
Forklift: Must have (hmmm. Actually I know where to get one CHEAP)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I need to clone you.

You owe me a keyboard, Sparky.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

I for one hope you finish and take the checkered flag ( under your own power )!

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

You guys are hardcore!!  See you in IL??

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

that is the way it is done. no matter what, you will look back and say "that was the best weekend of my life"

you have come this far, dont let anything at the track keep you from taking checkered. Even if you have to do another motor swap, who cares. you already invested this much time and effort.

Dont give up.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Racing a Camaro in Lemons isnt easy...its FUN!!!!  "fun".....

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Man... that's pretty much standard operating procedure for Team Police Brutality!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Finished 29th, I think that was the final finishing order.  We were black flagged a few times, that really hurt our finish. However we finished and had a blast!  We got our best time down to 1:42.  Thats not too bad with tires from the 90s and a unknown motor...

congrats guys.  The hard work paid off.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I have awsome footage of your spin in 11. I was behind you and then almost in your door! I was yelling like cole trickle on the radio when it happened. It was an awsome view!

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

OOooo Do share.  Here's some in car from one of the newer drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDpLXOLBttI

Good video! You could see #71 when you got around backwards, that was me.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed