Topic: Steam roller tires..

I have access to some brand new insanely silly  wide/tall tires at near give away prices.   
The tires are DOT Legal Goodyear eagles size P265R50 X15x33
   15 inches of tread width, probably close to 18 inches of section width..

That will make my Jaguar 2 feet wider! Plus with that much rubber on the road I suspect Cornering would amount to simply turning the steering wheel rather than lifting the throttle , braking, or downshifting..
The rims are really light weight ones.
The tread is really wide open so I suspect they would even work in the rain..

How insane would that be?  Is that over the edge?

Re: Steam roller tires..

No flaw in this plan at all.  Do it!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

OMGuar wrote:

I have access to some brand new insanely silly  wide/tall tires at near give away prices.   
The tires are DOT Legal Goodyear eagles size P265R50 X15x33
   15 inches of tread width, probably close to 18 inches of section width..

That will make my Jaguar 2 feet wider! Plus with that much rubber on the road I suspect Cornering would amount to simply turning the steering wheel rather than lifting the throttle , braking, or downshifting..
The rims are really light weight ones.
The tread is really wide open so I suspect they would even work in the rain..

How insane would that be?  Is that over the edge?

Race them! What could go wrong?

Just remember the wheels will need to have fenders covering them. Could make for an awesome theme.  Wide Load Ahead!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

So that is a 265/50/15? Or am I missing something?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

not simply DOT legal, but they also need 190 minimum treadwear. Just make sure you check.

Spank hit the detail that I was going to bring up. 

> 190 treadwear meets the rules.

But, wide doesn't mean grippy, good handling, or good wearing.  I don't see any performance tires in that size, just all-season 400+ treadwear stuff.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Speed Rating: 16 MPH

??

We jammed 255/45/17s under our car, it helps keep it stuck, but YMMV

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Trevor57 wrote:

Yes!they are 33 inches tall so I think the size is 265/50/33X15 or is it 265/50X15/33.
Bias belted sizes are something like33x18.50X15
   They belong to a buddy who has a hot rod shop and that was a common size for the rear of street pro cars of the  late 1980's-1990's.   He bought them about 5 years ago thinking street rodders still wanted the pro street look.. Thought he got a heck of a buy.
  OOPs!
   Now he simply wants rid of them..
    I don't think they are any sort of answer.. As tall as they are my rear end ratio will be like 1.1  I doubt I'd ever get into High gear and as for acceration, well let's say a VW bug  with a bad spark plug would be a comparative rocket..
ON the other hand it would be massively silly!
Sort of a monster truck version of sportscar racing..

OMGuar wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

Yes!they are 33 inches tall so I think the size is 265/50/33X15 or is it 265/50X15/33.
   They belong to a buddy who has a hot rod shop and that was a common size for the rear of street pro cars of the  late 1980's-1990's.   He bought them about 5 years ago thinking street rodders still wanted the pro street look.. Thought he got a heck of a buy.
  OOPs!
    I don't think they are any sort of answer.. As tall as they are my rear end ratio will be like 1.1  I doubt I'd ever get into High gear and as for acceration, well let's say a VW bug  with a bad spark plug would be a comparative rocket..

One more thing to consider: What will you replace them with if they get shredded on the first day.
I vote for Pizza Cutters! one extreme to another.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Loren wrote:

Spank hit the detail that I was going to bring up. 

> 190 treadwear meets the rules.

But, wide doesn't mean grippy, good handling, or good wearing.  I don't see any performance tires in that size, just all-season 400+ treadwear stuff.

OH I'm not concerned about any of that sort of thing..
  I think they would Make My Jaguar XJ-S V12 the monster truck version of Lemons..
  Top speed if it ever could accerate would be about 280 MPH, on the other hand a sick Vespa would likely accerate faster..
  I wouldn't need to worry about brakes.. If someone in front of me slowed down it would simply ride up and over it..   That's 30 inches of rubber on the ground both front and rear..

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

OOPs!

One more thing to consider: What will you replace them with if they get shredded on the first day.
I vote for Pizza Cutters! one extreme to another.

2 & 1/2 sets of them to shred..
Don't forget they've been aging a while and while they were wrapped in bags I'm sure tread wear has to be up around 1000 or something..

Do you mean the 325/50R15 Goodyear Eagle drag radials?  There are absolutely no flaws in that plan, except...

A) Drag radials are made for drag racing.  They have very soft sidewalls so they hook up on launch.  This means that they are horrible for cornering.  You'd be better off with all-seasons.

B) Just because the tires are six years old and resemble Flintstone wheels, doesn't mean their treadwear goes up.  The tech inspectors will look on the sidewall and see a UTQG of zero (which is what the Goodyears have) and fail you.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

I say go for it.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

15 (edited by OMGuar 2010-10-13 02:55 PM)

DaveH wrote:

Do you mean the 325/50R15 Goodyear Eagle drag radials?  There are absolutely no flaws in that plan, except...

A) Drag radials are made for drag racing.  They have very soft sidewalls so they hook up on launch.  This means that they are horrible for cornering.  You'd be better off with all-seasons.

B) Just because the tires are six years old and resemble Flintstone wheels, doesn't mean their treadwear goes up.  The tech inspectors will look on the sidewall and see a UTQG of zero (which is what the Goodyears have) and fail you.

No these are not drag radials..  They are properly treaded tires with DOT approvals on them.
Atually designed for so-called pro-street where guys would make their muscle cars look like cartoon cars..
However a little work with the tape measure and I now see just how far past silly the idea is..  First the ride height would go up 4 inches.    Second the tires would wind up being over 3 inches taller than the tops of the fenders and that's before I allow a single inch of travel.. assume say just 6 inches  the tops of the fenders would be 9 inches over the fenders.. It will be like driving in a tunnel with absolutely no vison other than straight ahead!

I was thinking cartoon but clearly the idea is past silly and well into stupid..

On  differant matter,
  I realize that treadwear requirement and It's a good thing! It prevents expensive race tires from being used..  but if you've ever  raced on used race tires you quickly learn that as tires go through heat cycles the wear gets really hard!
  When I ran in the Bahama's everybody with new tires  was replacing tires about every other race.  In just 12 or 15 laps the tires would be more than 1/2 gone..(really abrasive track since  the asphault was made with coral). Since I went down there with 4 year old tires I ran all 10 days on the same set and still had plenty of rubber left to finish the season.
  IN fact I bet I have some 1/2 worn race tires stacked in my shop that would be good for 3 or 4  24 hour races..  (not that the rules need changing).. Out of couriosity when did they start to use tread wear numbers?

After the first few races.  There's no fun in being out-dollared by some team that brings four sets of Hoosiers for the weekend.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

It's been done....

http://www.magnusracingclub.com/images/NiceJagShot1small.jpg

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that could have possibly made the Pendejo Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag any better would have been a set of zoomies.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Those are tiny compared to the wheels and tires I'm speaking about..
the diameter of those is 26.7 inches..  these are 33 inches!  5.3  full inches taller!
From the top of those tires to the top of the fender is maybe 2-3 inches..  with the higher ride height the tops of these will be about 3 inches above the fender!
those have 9.2 inches of tread.. these have 15 inches of tread!

I only have 31" tires on my Ramcharger. 33s would look positively redonkulous on a car.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that could have possibly made the Pendejo Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag any better would have been a set of zoomies.

Zoomies while cool,  You could only hear six cylinders at a time. you'd have to go to the other side to hear the other six and it then  would just sound like a six cylinder..  4 pipes out the back and at high revs and you'll hear a ripping silk sound..
4 tailpipes out the back end allow something unique to only V12's
  12 pistons firing at the back of a car makes you hear things you can never hear in any other exhaust sound..
First.. you'll hear the engine  at idle sounds like it's at 1500 RPM.  When you look at the tachometer it will be reading 500-600 rpm..  you'll step back and listen and double check the tach..
  About the time you're trying to wrap your mind around what you are hearing the the guy will rev the engine up and now comes that glorious sound..
  Because of the way it's built you can actually hear all 12 cylinders.
  Normally you'd simply hear two cylinders firing on top of each other..  So it would almost sound like a six cylinder.. (and a six sounds more like a three cylinder)  Basically a V12 is 4 three cylinder engines, 120 degree firing seperation which is what makes it such a smooth turbine like engine..
However because the one bank is further forward than the other the exhaust pipes are differant length so the sounds are phased and you can actually hear all 12 pistons firing..

Because of it's tiny stroke  (about 2 & 3/4 inch)  at 7000 rpm there is a sound almost like ripping silk..
Now compare that to  say V8's.  They  have that wierd odd fire sound..(V8 rumble)  there are two spots in the exhaust sound where the firing is 90 degrees apart followed by 270 degree seperation.
  Listen to a Harley Davidson engine.. It's firing that way all the time.   90 dgrees followed by 270 degrees.. that's why at Idle it has that potato potato sound..  V8's have 90degree followed by 270 by 90 degree by 90 degree.. (Unless it'a single plane crank)

DaveH wrote:

After the first few races.  There's no fun in being out-dollared by some team that brings four sets of Hoosiers for the weekend.

That's what is so great about Lemons racing.. budget limits!  $500 cars/ street  tires.
  Spend too much and you get penalty laps..

For decades I went racing spending dollars to thousands/tens of thousands  of dollars.. I went to a race once  in the Bahama's and my out of pocket costs for 10 days of racing was $810.00.  Stirling Moss beat me.. their out of pocket costs (Aston Martin factory team) probably approached $500,000 Stirling got paid $50,000 to drive.  Plus all the prep work etc.. (One of the mechanics whispered they'd spent over $250,000 getting the Aston Martin DBR3 ready)
Steve Kline blew up 3 engines, 2 transmissons, one differantal, 12 tires, and had to pay $20,000 cash for a engine to make the final race.
He finished 3rd.
MY cost was $810.00 I still use that same engine, transmission, etc.. in the car.. (just oil changes and an occasional tune up)
   My entry was paid for by another competitor who wanted me to  prep and maintain his car during the week.. Transpostation was arranged by hauling both cars to the race track by me while he flew in.
SCCA is even worse.. find some odd combination that will beat the factory cars and they will slap weight penalties or carb restrictions etc..
  Still the Buy-in to get to the run offs is well over $50,000 once you have a competitive car..
Pro racing numbers start around $300,000 a year and quickly exceed that..
$500 buy-in and you get to race competitively for endless hours! Let's hear it for Le Mons racing!