Topic: TMS Road Course or Oval?

I know it's over a year away, but anyone know what configuration they're planning on using for the December race at Texas Motor Speedway?

Seems to me that if they did the 1.5 mi oval it would really put an emphasis on acceleration and top speed over handling which is unlike most other Lemons events.

Stafford was the only oval on the 2010 Lemons schedule, right?  And it's only .5 miles.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to TMS next year.

2 (edited by robertm 2010-10-22 01:48 PM)

Re: TMS Road Course or Oval?

TMS road coarse alone is about the lamest thing I've ever driven on, ever, anywhere.  Add the Oval to it (with chicane in the back) and its pretty cool overall.  Add 24hrs to the mix and you've got a fun event!

Team Operation

if it is the same turnout ar ECR (which i think TMS will actually get more) they will have to run the 3/4 oval with the road track which is what Chump did.

Chump had about 30 cars IIRC

it will be awe inspiring to see 100+
i'm sure it will be louder than when Indy is there.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

A certain little birdie who has a name that begins with the letter J and rhymes with the letter J told me they wouldn't run the full roval like chump.  Something about fear of bloodshed.  I don't know what layouts they can run at TMS, but I was completely non-plussed by the infield course at chump.  Depending on the layout I'm considering volunteering to help vs. paying to race.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

5 (edited by robertm 2010-10-22 10:19 PM)

btp76 wrote:

A certain little birdie who has a name that begins with the letter J and rhymes with the letter J told me they wouldn't run the full roval like chump.  Something about fear of bloodshed.  I don't know what layouts they can run at TMS, but I was completely non-plussed by the infield course at chump.  Depending on the layout I'm considering volunteering to help vs. paying to race.

I hate to say it but I agree unf.  I've raced the big track twice.  Once with SCCA and once with Chump.  Both times I felt like I was tempting fate with my life.  Only track I've even been on anywhere in the country thats made me feel that way.  The speeds on the back straight are over 100 for the slowest cars and over 150 for the faster ones. If anything goes wrong at those speeds you are in serious life threatening trouble.  Compound that with a series that caters to people with as much experience as Mylie Cyrus on a real race track and its a recipe for disaster.

Team Operation

The guys I race with that done TMS have not been all that thrilled about it.

It's a NASCAR track and a lot of people have heard about it so that's cool.

The roval course SCCA and I think Chump ran is okay but apparently not all that exciting.

Little road course followed by a 5th gear run around the oval.

Doesn't really matter how they run it, I am sure turn out will be pretty high.

Regarding ECR turnout, I think they capped it at like 80 since it was a new track.  So I am sure it will be a bigger event in 2011.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z