Re: Lights for 24hours at New Orleans

Keep the lights well aimed and somewhat less than 1 billion candle power. If the paint on the car ahead of you bubbles or the retinas are seared out of workers/drivers/staff, you will be black flagged and have to re-aim or remove lights.    A euro style lamp with a sharp cutoff works real well.   I use a combo of left hand traffic (British) and right hand traffic (European and American) in the main beams, running 100W low beams and add a pair of crossed fog lamps as apex lights... Its all you need.   DON'T forget the apex lights, they are more important than blinding-ass pencil beams that shine way down the track and piss off other drivers...     

Really- You don't need to aim them high and way down the track...  spread the beams, light the whole track.   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I'm not sure if crosseyed would help a lot, but maybe the extra few feet of distance from the light to the apex would give a wider beam vs. angled out?

Our lights at Nelson Ledges were fine because there were a bunch of other cars on the track helping to light it and the turns were all sweeping.  At GingerMan in the ChumpCar race, there were about a dozen cars running when it got dark and the track has some tighter turns with elevation changes.  I couldn't see shit when I first went out in the pitch black night.  I came in three laps in a row to adjust the LH apex light.  Once dialed in, I had great lighting and could have turned about the same lap times as I did during the day.  I backed off a few seconds a lap though since it was the last hour of the race and we couldn't move up any positions.

We run a 36 year old car, so the most important thing was to rewire the entire lighting system from scratch.  We used relays, toggle switches, and 12 ga. wire throughout.  Our 25+ year old 50amp alternator worked perfectly (two races so far) and we had no dimming at idle.

If at all possible, aim your lights before the race starts.  If a Friday night practice is offered, jump at it and get the aiming correct.  If no practice is available, be ready to adjust after it gets dark in the race.  Have the tools laid out and train the first night driver to know exactly how much up/down/in/out each light must move.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

ordered a set of 500 and 4000s, should be here this week.  Also got the pimp-tastic yellow shields

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

What about colored lights on the side of the car for identification? Is that ok with the rules?

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports
http://www.racecars360.com/Intervention … _Page.html

Richardnew wrote:

What about colored lights on the side of the car for identification? Is that ok with the rules?

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports
http://www.racecars360.com/Intervention … _Page.html

The rules are so vague it's hard to say.  I would *guess* as long as they are not flashing or distracting in some way to other drivers they would be OK.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I don't think the rules are vague on that point as much as they are silent on it. That said, I agree that so long as the lights aren't flashing or distracting, you would be fine. We have lit-up numbers on the sides of our TARP North car and those have never been a problem.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

We have lit-up numbers on the sides of our TARP North car and those have never been a problem.

How did you do it?  My teams knows I have a thing for lights and anything bling related for that matter,  My first thought was to use the electroluminescent panels like you see on the 24 Hours Of Daytona cars, but the price was outrageous for a panel of any size.  My next thought was the illuminated number would make our car easier to black flag, not that we usually get more than one per race, but I don't wanna start now!

Captain

33 (edited by bongle 2010-10-19 09:17 AM)

Watch from about 10:00 in this video (or watch the whole thing, it's a good battle):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-Lx48Uq5w

This is from my team's last ChumpCar outing at Gingerman.  You can see that as soon as he gets by the Alfa, he doesn't have a wide enough area illuminated, and goes for some offroading because of it.  The guys suggesting apex beams are totally right.

Make sure that you take your car for a night drive pre-race.  I remember watching cars go around at Nelson, and you'd see cars with a bright beam pointing up at about 45 degrees.

Though it might be less serious at a Lemons event.  There were only a dozen or so cars on-track at Gingerman, so you spent more time being the sole source of lighting on your section of track.  At Nelson Ledges even woefully inadequate lights could get you by because there was so many cars around that'd light the track up for you.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

bongle wrote:

Watch from about 10:00 in this video (or watch the whole thing, it's a good battle):

I also noticed that is wasn't totally dark yet in your video.  I definitely learned from my last night race that we didn't have enough light.  We'll be better equipped for the Miami race for sure.

Captain

I did the final hour in the GingerMan ChumpCar race race as well running in the Lamest Day at Nelson Ledges and can attest that poor lighting with an empty track is a nightmare.  At Nelson, like bongle said, it didn't matter since there were 121 other cars helping to light up the track.

bongle's teammate's battle with the Alfa was epic.  I got to watch from Turn 11 and it was really cool in the dark.  The crowd was really into it and cheered loudly every time they looked to pass.  Luckily for me, they went off just in time for me to get my suit on for my stint.  I would have hated missing any of the dicing.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

bongle wrote:

DUDE what camera is that?!?!?!? That is the BEST amateur car video I've ever seen.

No wind noise, perfect capture of how the engine sounded.

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" - Thomas Edison

pk386 wrote:
bongle wrote:

DUDE what camera is that?!?!?!? That is the BEST amateur car video I've ever seen.

Have you seen any of my videos?  They were all made using a sub $200 Samsung via QVC.

Captain

pk386 wrote:
bongle wrote:

I think it was a GoProHD.  It was suction-cupped (+ safety wire) on the outside of the windshield.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

On a side note, if you decide to mount some lights under the front fender in a classic rally style set up.....make sure to have people watching you when you drive it onto the trailer or transporter, so that they can laugh at you when they get smashed off for being too low!!! DOH!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

40 (edited by beaviscih 2010-10-27 07:10 PM)

Like a few others, our stock headlights are long gone so we have two sets of Hella 500FFs.  One pair for the straight stuff and the other two angled for corners.  We need to add another brake/tail light and will have some sexy lighting around the Fembot mannequin (on the roof) so we can pick it out in the crowd.  Oh, we opted for the fancy Hella rock blocker film as well.

Refinery Trash
Team Captain - Austin No-Power Subaru Shaguar
Yee-Haw MSR 9/2010 - P23/122
Laisse Crap-Heaps, Grand Bayou 11/2010 - P4/50