Topic: Past IOE Winner challenge: Who's going to the New Year's race?

Got our acceptance email that we're officially entered in the Season Ender. And since there seems to be an overall "prize" for the Winners of the year yet NOTHING for the supposed "Real Winners", let's organize our own IOE uber-under-challenge of sorts.

Now I know the IOE rules aren't hard and fast and the past winners are everything from a hella-fast jaguar, to a turbocharged rebadged Fiat on down to some pathetic semi-car mish-mashes, but there's gotta be a method for leveling the playing field on paper for all of the previous IOE winning cars who show up to Florida. Maybe develop a half-arsed handicap bonus lap system based on finishing position in relation to the winning car at the race the IOE was taken at (or perhaps the best finishing position if it has been raced repeatedly).

You can make upgrades to it so long as you're within the Lemons rules otherwise of course.

I'll come up with some sort of prize and/or trophy if the powers-that-be don't have the energy to endorse it officially.

Who's game (even just for bringing your former IOE winner to Florida)?

Re: Past IOE Winner challenge: Who's going to the New Year's race?

Damn.  We had plans to revive the Craptation for this race, but they got scrapped based on finances and the hella long tow to Miami.  Maybe we could do this next year and one of the more centrally located tracks?  Say, NJMP or Summit (but we're not bringing the Craptation to Summit.  Words really can't describe how awful it would be to drive that car on that track.)

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

It was briefly considered but the Wartburg has gone into retirement.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

The thunderturd is gone-ish... the lancia needs work... but sounds interesting!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

We'll have something special for the Effluency Champions.

Spank, you're towing your rig from San Diego to Miami? Good god, you're more nuts than I already thought you were!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I seriously doubt I'll be able to make that race, unless I skip New Orleans. It depends on lining up enough paying drivers.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

LTDScott wrote:

Spank, you're towing your rig from San Diego to Miami? Good god, you're more nuts than I already thought you were!

Towing? I'm tired of being outshined by Cadillacs that drive to the race and take the IOE, or SHOs who drive to the track, take the overall, and then drive home... TWICE!

I'm driving.

Spank wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

Towing? I'm tired of being outshined by Cadillacs that drive to the race and take the IOE, or SHOs who drive to the track, take the overall, and then drive home... TWICE!

I'm driving.

this is deeply troubling.  6K miles plus a 24 hour race?  i'm skeer'd.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Spank wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

I'm driving.

Please tell me you are driving the Citroen.  It will at least be comfortable.  My family took the 1972 DS wagon to Boston and back, from Oakland, CA, back in 1989.  Great way to see America!

Depends on if it survives Buttonwillow because I have zero spares for it and am running it on pure luck. If it survives, then it's the sChitroen for sure even though that may mean it gets left in Texas after a fatal mid-trip hydropneumatic failure. If it limps in on 2 cylinders, 3 wheels and begs to be shot, then it'll be Mr. Bean LeMini since that's the only other IOE winner that I have as of this writing...

And I don't think either one will be comfortable in a non-reclining race seat the whole way.

Wow.... insane isn't a strong enough word. *salutes*

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

13 (edited by Spank 2010-10-27 08:43 AM)

LTDScott wrote:

Well, don't salute desire-- salute actions. Have done nothing yet. And despite my wife giving me the green light, she has proven time and time again that her words are just that: words. And she has turned "Changing her mind" into an art form. She has the ultimate power of veto, but I won't give up without a fight, so don't take this as me hiding behind her skirt (mostly because she wears the pants and I wear the skirt).

Back to the original post-- looking to see how many other IOE-ers will be heading there, trailer or otherwise so I know how stupendous the prize needs to be, and any ideas of how  to set up the handicap.

Spank wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

Well, don't salute desire-- salute actions. Have done nothing yet. And despite my wife giving me the green light, she has proven time and time again that her words are just that: words. And she has turned "Changing her mind" into an art form. She has the ultimate power of veto, but I won't give up without a fight, so don't take this as me hiding behind her skirt (mostly because she wears the pants and I wear the skirt).

Back to the original post-- looking to see how many other IOE-ers will be heading there, trailer or otherwise so I know how stupendous the prize needs to be, and any ideas of how  to set up the handicap.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Hey Judge Phil-the IOE challenge---will that be next year or at Miami?  The Craptation cannot be resuscitated in time for Miami, but next year is possible.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

The Berlina is certainly willing, having survived two races two weeks apart, but the team is pretty tapped out.

Judge Phil wrote:

Would this "something special" be in the form of something we might use to reduce our MASSIVE credit card debt, or something... ah, less useful, like a rhinestone studded cremation urn or say, SpongeBob fuzzy slippers?

Its a carrot and the stick thing.  Right now all I'm getting from the guys is "No effin way!" but with the proper motivation.....

Just sayin....

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrhrhh, SpongeBob slippers..............

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

18 (edited by Troy 2010-10-28 04:58 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Yep, I'm with the rest of the curious idiots wondering what this "something special" is. 

Is this like a Road Rules Handsome reward? (Do they still do that and is the show even on any more?)

I really want to go to Miami and would be even happier bringing the Z.

I start training for a new job Monday and won't have a schedule until I'm finished.

If my schedule works out, I think I can swing the trip. 

Whether I can bring the car is a whole different problem because the car is still broken and I have no drivers.

http://angiem357.smugmug.com/Cars/Racing/LeMons-at-MSR-Houston-Sept/P9210017/1023856798_qZBhW-M.jpg

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

You didn't use enough JB weld.