1 (edited by goingincirclez 2010-10-28 05:45 AM)

Topic: A special-stupid spectator's view: THANKS for an incredible Autobahn!

Sorry if this isn't the "right" forum to pop into, but since a bunch of the teams are here I figured it's the best place to say THANK YOU to everyone involved for putting on a great race and letting us have blast!

A friend and I came "all the way" from Frankfort, KY to camp and hang out and experience the next-best-thing to having a car in the race.  And since I've got one I want to build, but can barely afford to even though the donor is free, it was also a bit of a recon/motivation trip.   Which did not disappoint!

ALL the teams we talked to were awesome:  laid back, friendly, willing to talk shop and BS, share tech tips, and just generally hang around.  I wish I could have met more and/or lent a hand but as it was, I really just tried to stay out of the way.   

TEAM RESIGNATION was hilarious... the shennanigans with creating the "Mid-Engine ZX2" (I'm the moron with the GULF hat who suggested and filmed the stunt, ha ha) and their joking demeanor were epic.   Thanks for the beers and banter, guys!

MURPH & THE MAGICTONES wandered by TR's pit and passed out more brews, and more bullshittery was enjoyed by all.   If you're reading this, I took some pics I'd be more than happy to share - we dropped by at race’s end but you guys must've been in the ceremony and we had to check out.  Loved that car... I wish you guys could have finished - hope the trans isn't shot too bad!

THE HOTROD LINCOLN gave me a paddock ride when I found myself wisecracking about their hopping rear axle at the fuel pumps, and mentioned pics of them dodging Speedycop's spinning LanciaR2 in Turn 8.  Too bad the Judges didn't see it that way, but it was worth a protest shot, right?  To be fair I didn’t see the start of it myself, and the pic was somewhat inconclusive.

TEMPORAL FLUX's team meeting just before green on Saturday was epic.   It simply just came down to "Don't Fuck Around" spoken with a germanic accent.    Awesome.   And pertinent.   

TEAM UNDERPANTS and IF YOU CAN'T DUCK IT were great neighbors.   I felt horrible for Team Underpant's mechanical issues, and would’ve loved to help but it seemed you had plenty of hands on it so the best I could do was stay out of the way.   

The Grand Primino's free chili and Hot Rod Linc's pork and jambalaya were just the thing our starved guts needed.  And damn tasty on all counts too.

Judge Phil was fun to meet in person, even if he kept asking which team I was on, ha ha.    And I'll forever chuckle recalling him standing at the paddock entrance just before the checkers, when he asked, "So who the hell's winning this thing, anyway?".

So many other people to thank:  the Alpha team, the Track Pillagerz, Team NIMITZ, and others I know I'm forgetting.

As for the race itself:  no disappointment there.   We were amazed at how relatively clean and professional everyone seemed to be on the track.   Sure there were incidents and contct we didn’t see, but considering the rain and the precedent for random carnage in previous races it seemed everyone did a great job.   Our only complaints as spectators regard the lack of stands/an invisible back half of the track, and cautions which would have taken half the time if the safety crews had more than one access point.   We wondered what would have happened in the event of a fire or serious incident because frankly, the response seemed pitifully slow at times.   Regardless, the racing was great!  Nascar could stand to learn a thing or two from Lemons.

So back to the question I kept hearing and felt ashamed to answer:  "What team are you on"?   Well, none, then, because I'm a special kind of stupid.   But hopefully... maybe, if the planets align, the Kentucky Fried Cougar ('91 LS 5.0, barn wreck since '00) will make it to Autobahn next year.  If we do, I'd love to return the favors! 

Congrats to all involved for running the best race and good time I’ve been involved with in ages!

Also, I got decent pics of all the finishers receiving their ceremonial handshakes… the FB gallery is all I have up, but if you want an original high-res lemme know and I’ll be more than happy to oblige.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 … 836ccbc986

Thanks again everyone....

-Tony Lucio “goingincirclez”
#76 Kentucky Fried Cougar (hopefully maybe someday)

Re: A special-stupid spectator's view: THANKS for an incredible Autobahn!

Was great to hang out Saturday night and share some of our teammates home brew

Any of the pictures you have of our #4 Murph & The Magictones Ciera we would love to have copies of, best place to send them is racing4nickels at gmail dot com

It looks like the trans is not the problem, but could be the ignition module or the coils giving a bad spark.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

Thanks for the Kudos! it goes a long way to soothe a weathered Viking's heart. For everything else, there was Paddock grub to Pillage!

I would love to see the "photographic proof" of said Lincoln/Lancia.

What was funny about that incident is we were all in the penalty area waiting for our driver to come in (couldn't get it refired and had to be towed) and while we were there the corner worker was the one who radioed in and said there was contact. Our driver never mentioned it. When the Lincoln driver came in, he described hitting a purple car - our car is red! Jay was all "so your admitting to hitting two cars now????" and that was the end of the discussion. They tried to produce a video of the incident but it suffered techincal difficulties on Phils compter...  it was rather humerous and luls were had by all...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

5 (edited by goingincirclez 2010-10-28 05:44 AM)

Photogiraffic proof?   Ask and ye shall receive!  (These are crops; I can send the original full-res if you prefer, although you just get more of the track in the shot)

http://www.goingincirclez.com/Kaleid/Albums/Lemons/LMR2MKVII_1.jpg

http://www.goingincirclez.com/Kaleid/Albums/Lemons/LMR2MKVII_2.jpg

(and the license plate is now indisputable, ha ha)

http://www.goingincirclez.com/Kaleid/Albums/Lemons/LMR2MKVII_3.jpg

Yeah, so I wandered over to the concession stand soon after that and the Linc team happened to be at the pumps.   Their car had been fun to watch on account of it sounding like a beast but hopping the axle and not being able to hold a line.   I told them in jest, "The best line you've run all weekend was getting around that Lancia" and the driver was like "YOU SAW THAT?   That guy cost me $58 because I just had to buy the Judges' lunch, they blamed it on me!"  I said I actually had a photo, they made me get on the car to go back to the box and protest.   Jay didn't buy it (I couldn't get it cropped well on the camera screen), although that probably had more to do with their admission about "the purple car" (the Murphtones had earlier mentioned an incidental run-in with them, LOL).

Hope you enjoy the pics.  Had I realized that Lancia was the work of the legendary Speedycop I'd probably have hung around more.    As it is you're one of the few (if not still the only?) guys to run an MN12, which is what I've got, so I'm more than happy to share. 

-Tony L.
"goingincirclez"
#76 Kentucky Fried Cougar (hopefully someday maybe)

Only the most refined racers make it to Lemons as spectators. Of coarse, you get the benefit of laughing at everyone else's sorrows of broken cars and black flags, haha. I hope you can make it with your own car, it's well worth the frustration of sheared chassis bolts, swiss cheese oil pans, and grenaded transmissions.

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

goingincirclez wrote:

Hope you enjoy the pics.  Had I realized that Lancia was the work of the legendary Speedycop I'd probably have hung around more.    As it is you're one of the few (if not still the only?) guys to run an MN12, which is what I've got, so I'm more than happy to share. 

-Tony L.
"goingincirclez"
#76 Kentucky Fried Cougar (hopefully someday maybe)

I don't think it was us if they ran into a purple car, or if they did they barely touched us cause we have no marks on the car from rubbing.  Maybe it was the royal crown car.

Facebook Page

Yeah, Tony, it turns out my driver Rob had spun on his own, and was then struck by the Lincoln. Jay pointed out that if the Lincoln had braked and avoided the Lancia, it would be a very different discussion, but instead the driver said he tried to go around the spinning car, and struck it pretty hard in the right rear. Stuff happens on the track, you just have to avoid it the best you can. Looks like the Lincoln went towards the outside edge of the track to avoid.

This is a prime example of why flaggers should be told that a car that puts two or four wheels off to avoid a spinning/out of control car doesn't need to be black flagged. That is, of course, if contact cannot be avoided by braking. Hard to tell from the pics, but that may have been the case here, and it wasn't the Lincoln's first offense. Still, it was initiated by our car, so if the driver who coughed up $58 for lunch would like to be reimbursed, he can PM me, and I'll take care of it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

BTW thanks for the pics just looked through them and they're great.

Facebook Page

goingincirclez wrote:

TEAM RESIGNATION was hilarious... the shennanigans with creating the "Mid-Engine ZX2" (I'm the moron with the GULF hat who suggested and filmed the stunt, ha ha) and their joking demeanor were epic.   Thanks for the beers and banter, guys!

We were glad to share beer, bad ideas, and bullshitting with you (and everyone and anyone else). We had a blast and were glad that other people were around to witness and encourage our stupidity.

Your pics are great, too. I love the one of Judge Phil giving the Nixon Victory Sign. Epic.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics.   Phil's Victory Pose was indeed epic!   And what is Lemons itself but the most Stupidly Epic of Bad Ideas?

Speedy, no worries from the Linc team I'm sure.  I'm pretty sure they were more or less joking about the cost in the heat of the moment, ha ha.  I sent them a pic set and the driver told me they were out just to have a good time, which it seems they accomplished.      Looking forward to seeing that Lancia again, especially since Probst heled shake it down for ya.