Re: Excessive contact at Autobahn???

rushman wrote:

Also, some flaggers are better about this then others, but the slide by and wave by (aka driver slows drastically under yellow, the car behind passes to avoid jamming on brakes, then gives the spot back) needs to be freely allowed.   People are so afraid of the dreaded passing under yellow penalty that they put others in far more danger trying to avoid it then just slowing gracefully and falling back in line.

I agree.  IMO, there is the "letter of the rules" which is black or white, and also there is "spirit of the rules" which can be grey as necessary.  I've done just what you have described several times and allowed the car I just passed to get back in front.  I guess I've just been lucky to not get a BF for doing so.

Another rule I'd like to see more judgement calls in is the 2 or 4 off rule.   I have video of a car spinning directly in front of me because he flat out entered the corner too fast.  As my mind was processing what to do I had to decide how to not T-BONE him AND how to stay on the track while doing so.  I shouldn't have had to consider the black flag I would get for going 4-wheels off instead of just making sure I didn't avoid him at all costs.  Somehow (dumb luck) I managed to stay on the track and not hit him, but it would have been nice to have KNOWN I wouldn't have got black-flagged for avoiding contact.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I know in NASA TT they have a four wheels off penalty, but it is not enfoced in the case of avoidance.  The problem with changing the rules is that you will bring in the interpretation of the corner workers into the mix.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

soldmystang wrote:
st_rage wrote:

The Miami race will be my 6th.  We've exclusively raced at CMP.  I think our team has gotten flagged once for passing under yellow (and he was guilty).  Is the flagging/track layout that much better at CMP than all these other tracks?  It hasn't been a problem for us.

Of course we are burdened (or blessed) with a 50th percentile car speedwise.  Perhaps someone with faster lap times might be caught mid-pass a higher percentage of the time when the flags come out....

CMP like VIR has flagging staff which are full-time employees.  at tracks that don't see a ton of events the corner workers tend to be more temporary in nature.

That explains it.  We've found the flagging pretty fair at CMP.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

An autobahn flagger came by to visit us and the wreck Saturday.  She did note that they're mostly full-time as well.  She said the lowest involvement on the staff were some weekend folk who do 16hr/week.