Topic: New Guy

Well, I have been dieing to get a team ready for a race or two the past 2 years and it seems like i Might have a field this time and people that are will to drop the cash to do this. the only problem is not sure how to go about getting a race license for myself and the rest of the crew. While I have some small autocross events under my belt they do not and I have warned the others that this will not be a smash up derby cause i want the car to last for atleast 2 to 3 races before going onto another car or van what ever along with a Black flag. Any info on the License is the biggest issue. I have the specs for safety and have people to pro build the cage and safety 5 point harness. The car will be from the Auction and will be a Lemon in all terms but shall be safe to run(atleast run as well as it can). Imagination is a high strong point for my Group and no we are not acouple of guys that have a VW and just wanna race. If one of my Team Members goes and starts Hitting people on perpose, automatic firing off team.  I dont want to come out and be that team that just fills the air with BS. Its cheap and looks interesting mutch like myself. And the Fact the cars r one of a kind in looks is most excellent. Any advice is accepted.

Re: New Guy

$50 for the license - no schools needed. 

Don't think this racing is cheap - after personal safety gear, expect to pay $1,000/driver to get to the track.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

In know its gonna run up to around that or more with the suit and safety gear along with spare parts(tires, hoses, brakes fluids) I will be out of pocket myself for up most the cash for this any way. The rest will spend it and the track suits food water and the rest of a track weekend items.

4 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-11-05 08:36 AM)

Dice... Where do you hail from?

If your going to Buttonwillow  Old Fart racing is putting on a driving class. The cost is around
$25.00 bucks and well worth it! All of my new drivers are required to take the class or they don't drive.
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=6595

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

tracksuits? i can't wait to see this theme! 80's new york-style gigolos?

Dice1: As has been pointed out, you do not need any special license. You only need a valid driver's license for driving on public roads. If you and your team mates have the, and $50, then you have a License to race in Lemons for a year.

It's nice to read that safety and fair play are your biggest concerns: I think everyone is in agreement on that!

The best  advice I can give you is load up all of the members of your team and head to the next closest Lemons race to you as spectators before you start buying and building a car.

It is quite an eye-opener and most everybody is usually very happy to answer your questions. There's just nothing like seeing in person what it is everyone tries to capture in words or video clips.

Well I'm gonna hit the AC Race to watch and I'm planing on going to the Summit Point race to run the first one. I'm from outside Philly, Note the outside Philly part so I'm not some punk with extra cash to through around or a dumb street racer with a giant spoiler on a FW with a Fart can( even thought my muffler will be Foldgers sponsered LOL). If I had the time and money I would love to Run SCCA but due to work and Not having the green needed to field a car this is the best first step in my case.

The Tracks i want to run are Laguna Seca and Infieion. I know there is no race at Laguna but if there ever was I would make a trip to race that track in a heart beat no questions.

Work: Dice1 you are  suposed to be at work today!!!!!
Dice1: Nope the beater race is at Luganu Seca and I am not gonna miss it!!!!!

Dice,

I'm outside of philly w/ the turbo bird (northwest)

RobL and crew are around Willow Grove.

Get in touch w/ some local teams.  Come over for a workday, ask questions, learn something.

there are at least a half dozen teams in SEPA/south NJ.

Summit Point has FATT days (Friday At The Track), a one day instructor led deal that lets you go around a track safely, while learining important race stuff.  For a couple hundred bucks.

Trackdaze.com are the guys I started with.  At the time, they were doing VW sponsored stuff, and allowed a heathen in a noisy camaro (yours truly) to bring down the level of classiness.  Great guys, and fun as hell to race with.

I'd recommend you do a little track time, but it is optional.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

There are different perspectives to this whole Lemons thing.  Some people get off on the prospect of winning overall, or winning the Index of Effluency.  Some just want to finish.  Some actually thrive on the fact that their car WILL break and they'll have to fix it.  You have to decide where on that curve you want to be.  For your first race, I'd recommend just finishing.

If you follow that advice... to finish, you need two things:  a reliable car, and a competent set of drivers.

To ensure that you have a reliable car and competent drivers that will get through the race without incident, I highly recommend that you get your drivers some track time.  Your local track should offer track events with instruction that they can do in either their own car or your "race car" if it is worthy.  I think you're far better off getting your guys familiar with the track environment in a controlled setting like that with an instructor rather than just throwing them to the wolves in a Lemons race.

Along the same lines, I believe your car should be mercilessly tested before the race.  So, after you've got your team some basic driver education, sign up for another track event and FLOG THE SNOT OUT OF THE CAR for several hours.

You can daily drive your race car, and if possible, you should.  That will shake out a lot of general problems and such.  But, don't think for a second that daily driving it is going to be anywhere near as stressful on the car as actually driving it at speed on a race track!  If you want to get past the first few hours of the race, do some track testing.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Didnt think there would be a teams in my surrounding area. That is a real shocker. now I have to look around to see if i can get a glimps of the Lemon's window decal in town.

Dice1 wrote:

While I have some small autocross events under my belt...

If you have some autocross under your belt and are from around outside Philly, I probably know you or know of you. 

If you are headed down to the Delaware Park for the Philly event this weekend, stop over and say hi.  A lot of the Schumacher Taxi team will be there.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Wish I could but have to go to Baltimore for an event. I might know u from the Willow grove area aswell. Depending on what parts stores u use(I am not going to be a plug whore). plush the Shelby is still down from last years tear down. Needs new motor and the 2.2 turbo thats in the works needs some testing.