Topic: Fuel swirl pot and battery!!!

Another call for advice....remember the fuel swirl pot idea!

It worked - sort of!  Made a good robust bomb, from thick wall sewer pipe with dome ends, drilled and tapped 4 outlets and ran all the hoses and sat it in the trunk.

Had a test and tune and all went really well with no fuel starvation....right up until my fellow driver coasted into the paddock his arms thrashing around shouting - Its on fire!!!

I immediately thought our futile fuel bomb had leaked but NO! the battery positive cable from the battery to the isolator had fallen off and was earthed to the floor of the trunk and has set fire to all things it could find to burn - battery box, cables and cable ties etc......so lucky that it happened at that point on the track or it would have gone up in smoke I think.....it took both extinguishers and the track fire truck to put out the BBQ in the trunk!

So - firstly you were all right to caution against having and external fuel pot in the trunk, but the theory worked!

In order to get it away from the battery, my question is, can we put a battery in a new box secured inside the car?

Cheers

Mark

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Re: Fuel swirl pot and battery!!!

We ran the battery for our Buick G-body behind the driver's seat in a marine battery box without issue.

Scary news about the fire though, glad things weren't all bad and nothing serious happened.

3 (edited by Zachreligious 2010-11-05 12:13 PM)

Just remember the battery still has to be secured with a metal tie down even if it's located inside a box.

AND - at the last race they made us open the box and tape the positive terminal.

So, even inside a box it needs to be tied down and the positive terminal covered.

Thanks guys, that sounds totaly possible!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Mark,
the battery was originally put in the trunk to balance the car. with all of the parts removal and cage addition, weight Balance is out the window. You may be better off moving the battery to the passenger seat. that is where i had mine in the integra.

i think building a box around the swirl pot is also a good idea. I don't want to chisel on your tomb stone "successful recreation of Guy Fawkes".

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John