Topic: List of Potential Cars...

When looking for the perfect candidate, why not just check the archives of C&D for their "10 Best" lists from the mid-80s? They read like a "who's who" of Lemons Racing, and include such gems as:

1983:
AMC/Renault Alliance
Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Mazda RX-7
Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
Porsche 944
Toyota Celica Supra
Volkswagen Rabbit GTI

1984:
Audi 5000S/Turbo
Dodge Daytona Turbo
Honda Prelude
Pontiac Fiero 2M4

1985:
Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager
Merkur XR4Ti

1986:
Lincoln Mark VII LSC
Saab 9000
Toyota MR2

1987:
Acura Integra
Mazda RX-7 Turbo

1988:
Honda CRX

1989:
Dodge Colt Turbo/Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo
Ford Probe GT
Ford Taurus/Taurus SHO
Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo/Plymouth Laser Turbo

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Re: List of Potential Cars...

The 1995 Neon is conspicuously absent from the 1995 Ten Best... as are all Dodge/Plymouth products.  Oh dear.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Since you are shopping in the 80's.....ANY Porsche 928 from pre 1985 will work great as a Lemons racer.....the post 85's have the 32V engine and even more power...but are still too expensive....  Keep in mind the least powerful 928 ever made was rated at 219hp 254 torque.....  My 84 racer is rated at 234hp-263 torque.....and it gets around the track pretty good even with the slushbox!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I've been searching for a colt turbo for  a while.  I don't think any exist anymore...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I just saw an Isuzu Impulse turbo.....one of those would be cool

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I've been looking for a Dodge Spirit R/T going on 2 years now...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

my mom used to have a 1990 dodge spirit es. had the 3.0L Mitsu V6 and 4-speed auto. it was actually pretty damn sporty for the day. had some decent balls too it and thanks to the mitsu plant and the k-car chassis would be excellent Lemons fodder.