Topic: One Trick Pony Team- Help! '98 mustang - Theft Light

Our veteran Lemons v6 / 5spd mustang - We removed a lot of weight from our car recently, insides of doors, etc.  We also removed dash and put a dash roll cage bar in to make it safer, then reconnected the wire harness on the steering column, other plugs.  Now when we turn the power on the car, not even the key on, just power - we get a relay that is freaking out and making a rapid clicking sound.

When we put the key to On, I get a theft light.

Does anyone happen to know what triggers a theft light on a '98 mustang, and what we should do?

I only have chiltons right now, and that gives little detail.   I'll ahve to try to find a wiring diagram to help with the relay. 

I know the One Trick Pony team runs an identical car and may have delt with this issue before.

TIA,  S

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Re: One Trick Pony Team- Help! '98 mustang - Theft Light

The PATS(theft) system is rather complicated on this car, make sure you did not miss any connections/boxes/grounds when you were hooking things back up.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

3 (edited by Stovebolt 2010-11-05 02:12 PM)

Oh....I saw the PATS box and did not know what it was.  We left it plugged in, but wonder if I just took it out, I guess that wouldn't work either?  I think from what folks said it will run fine, just have "theft" light on?  Does that sound right?  I still have some massive problem that the guys caused and makes the tail lights glow 1/2 way when they should not, something is messed up, and the relay was clicking a LOT.  Figure they hosed something up, need to figure it out.  so I don't know if car will run by testing as that other issue and the battery about 7 volts doesn't help either...

Does the steering column cover have anything to do with the PATS error?  We took all that off.

Thanks, Stovebolt

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Firstly charge the battery, nothing will work correctly with 7 volts.
IF the tail lights are still half glowing you missed a ground somewhere.
DO NOT think you are going to defeat the factory security system,  fix it or it will NEVER run again.Removing the box will only make you more miserable
There is delicate antenna coil loop behind the key "guard" this is a very important part of the PATS system, check that you did not tear the tiny wires attached to it, if you did go junk yard shopping. This coil "sees" the transponder in the black part of the key.

If none of this works you will have to go to some mustang forums and start learning what else is involved. I repeat work with(not around) the security system or you will never hear this thing run again.The PATS in incorporated into the fuel injection, it is way more complicated then just running a starter button.

Sorry to be gloomy but I fix this stuff daily and it aint easy without a factory scan tool.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

oh my gosh, I did not think this '98 had a involved ATS in it, I did not know the key had a chip in it, have to check that out. 

I bought a new battery (had been dying a long slow death) today and will have to trek over to the garage and check things out.  You have been helpful, thanks.  I have checked on SN95 forums and so far you have been best.

I'll have to check on what exactly the system is getting excited about.  Possibly when we removed the harness that went to the power doors locks?  hmm ...  and the relay maybe something related to the security system as it powered on even when the key was off.

The only thing we removed from the column was the plastic housing, I don't know that had a chip in it to trigger an alarm or not,  I guess I could reinstall it and see.

removing the wheel lock as required by that other race series seems like it will be something we'll have to work around with a beer purchase or something...

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Update?

If your key does have pats, and the rf sensor is still on the column, you can just zip tie a key to the column so it always senses it, and then you can bypass the key altogether

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

You have two distinct circuits - the passive circuit, which only involves the electronic key. You might want to check the owner's manual - I KNOW on my '02 Focus, I can disable the system outright. In that state, the PCM just ignores the ATS bus. Knowing Ford, the Mustang probably has the exact same system.

Otherwise, you'll have to work around the system, because there is precisely NO sane way to work around it (unless you're getting a PCM reflash done - at which point, do inquire to see if they can fix it for you)

There's also an active anti-theft circuit that deals with perimeter security. It has a disarm switch. There's a dark green/purple wire (pin 6) coming from the anti-theft box. It normally goes to the lock cylinders. Short it to ground to disarm that part of the system.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear