Topic: Buttonwillow Lil'Mons PowerWheels Race?

*Lil'Mons PowerWheels Race: Bring your GI Joe Hummer, Barbie Corvette, Mini Grave Digger, or other electric kids' rides and battle the students of Sage Hill School for all the kid-car glory--which is to say, probably more fame than you'll earn in your big car. Full specs and details to come.

So does anyone know if these are needing to be piloted by live people, or is RC permitted, or?

And I'm guessing that stock plastic wheels will be the order of the day.

Re: Buttonwillow Lil'Mons PowerWheels Race?

I figured they meant R/C, so I've been looking for an Opel GT shell for my electric. Paint it Rustoleum sunburst yellow, apply stickers and big-ass wing, and we've got Teeny Tinyvette. It will have a few extras surprises as well. Would, if I can find a body for it.

Um, I definitely read that as Power Wheels racing for adults. Like you sit in it. No RC anything.

Like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM2SWNCes5g

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Darn. I was all ready to buy a 3D CAD model, get a pattern made, vacuum form the shell at home, then put the car together, complete with a second set of radio controls for the pyrotechnics.

I was thinking of the old Barbie/Ken?G.I.Joe movie were Barbie's Corvette was about 1/10 scale, maybe a bit larger.

But there is a guy in Colorado building an Opel GT body for a kid's go-cart.

24V conversion FTW

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

What are the rules?  Can I swap my KTM's motor into a Barbie Corvette?

I need an MG Power Wheels body, or shoot, anything British.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

We've got this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AunP1VfnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think the wheels on it are bigger than our real car's wheels

priapism wrote:

What are the rules?  Can I swap my KTM's motor into a Barbie Corvette?

Rules? Ha! Just don't get one of the schoolkids injured or worse is probably the only rule in effect.

So yeah, swap away!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Do kids have to drive or are adults piloting these death machines?

11 (edited by Team60 2010-10-21 03:57 PM)

priapism wrote:

Do kids have to drive or are adults piloting these death machines?

Yeah, I'm thinking there's gotta be a subset of rules otherwise we're gonna see a #43 Camaro in Power Wheels trim...limited to electric only? kids vs. adults? plastic or rubber wheels? motorcycles allowed?

I think Jay might have found the one vehicle cheaper to race than a Lemons car...

Well, I posed the question, "Are there any rules?"

Response:

Well, ideally, you'd use an actual Power Wheels.

In reality, anything electric-powered and kid-sized should suffice. Age limits and helmets are on a sliding scale based on how scary-looking your Power Wheels is.

I think we need a Pit Bicycle Race, too. One lap of the track. The BS Inspection would be a simple binary test: crappy bikes pass.

Why stop there? I say have a push race-- as in, push your racecar around the track-- one person inside steers and brakes, the rest push.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

An electric british car? with Lucas electrics?
I think we have our IOE winner.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

Spank wrote:

Why stop there? I say have a push race-- as in, push your racecar around the track-- one person inside steers and brakes, the rest push.

Now that would be a (one lap) endurance race.

We're engineering a vehicle for this race right now.. I'd like to see a plastic wheel only rule.... evens the field..   the guys with 96 volts won't be able to put the power down

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

We're engineering a vehicle for this race right now.. I'd like to see a plastic wheel only rule.... evens the field..   the guys with 96 volts won't be able to put the power down

-John

mandate 6" go-kart tires as spec. still rubber for some nice handling but you basically got a dozen tire compounds, and that's it

smile

Plastic wheels are more LeMons-esque.

Spank wrote:

Imagine the carnage of many people getting run over when drivers decide to "Late Brake" in a corner LOL- 
Imagine if we did this at Thunderhill...... pushing up the Cyclone!

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

21 (edited by icemang17 2010-11-15 04:10 PM)

Hmm...something like this...but with WAY more power!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zanick#p/u/44/XmINQ4iW4NA

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2