Topic: What air compressor to buy?

So I want to buy an air compressor to work on our Lemons cars.  It is my understanding that I want one at least 6cfm and preferably 110v.  I have looked all over and can't find one for under 1k bucks.

What are ya'll using?

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: What air compressor to buy?

there's some places like TSC that sell decent upright Ingersoll-Rand units in the $600s. I'd recommend just skipping 110v units unless you like airing up tires. A LOT. seems like the best balance of specs to run something like an impact wrench would be 220v, 3.5hp minimum, 25gal tank minimum. I hear the brand on the tank is pretty irrelevant, but it's Preferable to have one with a Century motor. As always, YMMV. Check out the specs on the air tools you plan to run, and go looking for a compressor that exceeds those specs. can't go wrong that way.

I've got a 15 gal DeWalt that I bought at Home Depot a couple years ago for around $400. It runs on 110v and is rated at 5.4scfm @90psi, which is just under your preference, but has been sufficient for everything I've used it for. The duty cycle on the motor is really high and it can keep up, plus it's a hell of a lot quieter than the compressors that I was used to.  I'd like a 220v one with a huge tank, but I don't have room or volts for it. The DeWalt has been a good compromise, plus it's portable so it can go to the races too, which is hard/impossible to do with the 220v big tanks. YMMV. Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

My first compressor was a direct-drive (beltless) model. a Campbell-Hausfeld "Workhorse Series".   It made so much noise that I could hardly stand to be in the same garage with it.   When it was stolen a few months later, I was actually relieved!

I replaced it with a Campbell-Hausfeld "Excalibur" belt drive model from their "Cast Iron" series, which was *much* quieter.   I paid $322 in 1995 at Price Club (now Costco) and am still using it.

If I were to buy a compressor today, I would get an upright model for 220 volts, with the highest CFM rating I could afford.   That would allow me to run a sandblaster and to run air tools for longer periods.   On the other hand, my current horizontal tank model is on wheels and is portable.

After deciding what style (pancake, horizontal, vertical) you require, look for the highest CFM rating at the pressure you need.   Ignore any "horsepower" ratings that you see advertised -- they are total fiction.

Finally, if you decide to run compressed air plumbing around your shop/garage, NEVER, under any circumstances use PVC pipe!   In time, PVC will become brittle.   Then all it takes is a tiny shock, like a tool falling against it, and it will literally explode with sharp fragments propelled all over your shop.   Instead, use iron (or copper if money is no object) pipe with drains at every low point.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

What about the larger compressors at harbor freight?  I am learning that short of the two stages all of the compressors are made in china now anyway.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

Went with the craftsman professional 27 gallon.  It got great reviews.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

If you plan on painting, go with 9.0cfm @100psi or more. I have an old Sears roll-around 110v that I've been using for years, but last week I bought a used upright 220v for $100 that will be my garage air. The 110v will be what I drag to races. The 110v cannot keep up with air ratchets, angle grinders, or air drills, but it is good in short bursts. The 220v should be good for painting at a slow pace, but probably won't run a DA sander very long.

The one I bought today is crazy quiet and seems to be holding pressure well.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

I'm one lucky SOB because when I was keeping an eye out for compressors, I happened to spot a row of three clearance DeVilbiss 80gal 2-stage 175psi compressors at Lowes, marked down from $1k to $400.  Bought one and been more than happy with it for 10+ years.  It lived for years in my basement before I had a garage, then moved to the garage.

But the Craftsman will serve you fine for light duty use.  One day you'll find yourself wishing for 80 gallons of 175psi power, though. ;-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.