Topic: Anti-fog?

Buttonwillow will be chilly and rain is not likely, but still, I expect some problems keeping the glass clear on the inside. We don't have a heater, or vents, but also no side or rear glass, but the engine and tranny can get pretty toasty and the inside of the car can get uncomfortably warm. Can anyone recommend an anti-fog spray, coating, treatment?

We've considered just stuffing a wad of paper towels under the driver's harness but when strapped in he can't reach the windshield.

Re: Anti-fog?

The anitfog stuff from RainEx isn't bad.  We've survived two 24h races using it.  I'm not sure it does anything, but it makes us feel better.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

electric heat elements with a small fan.
lucky for you, WalMart sells pre-assembled units
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:S-huj9yfrWlVkM:http://www.topnews.in/files/hair-dryer1.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Before we got taken out at autobahn we had a huge problem with fog. We had fog x on the windshield but it was still horrible. We would slow down for a yellow and it would get better, then once we got to speed it would fog back up. I was going to install a dryer vent and point it towards the windshield but it dried up.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

Just saw in the Harbor Freight flyer this morning over coffee that they have a "12 Volt Rubberized Heater With Fan" on sale for $9.99 (reg. price $19.99). Plugs into a cigarette lighter. Lot #96144. Looks like it would be perfect as a DIY windshield defogger.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

6 (edited by indysupra 2010-12-01 06:18 AM)

Mulry wrote:

Just saw in the Harbor Freight flyer this morning over coffee that they have a "12 Volt Rubberized Heater With Fan" on sale for $9.99 (reg. price $19.99). Plugs into a cigarette lighter. Lot #96144. Looks like it would be perfect as a DIY windshield defogger.

I found one similar in a used car here at work. Customers car did not have heat so they had it pointed at the windshield.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

Mulry wrote:

I am planning to pick one of these up tomorrow. The reviews on HF's site don't look so great but I figured this plus some white vinegar coating on the inside of the windshield should be better than nothing.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Mulry wrote:

I've got one, and my advice is don't hold your breath.  Actually holding your breath would do more defogging than this thing.  The fan inside moves less air than the one cooling the CPU on your computer.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

I've got one, and my advice is don't hold your breath.  Actually holding your breath would do more defogging than this thing.  The fan inside moves less air than the one cooling the CPU on your computer.

Hmm. Good to know.

VKZ24 wrote:

I've got one, and my advice is don't hold your breath.  Actually holding your breath would do more defogging than this thing.

+1. LOL.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

This is why I left the HVAC housing with heater core & fan in our car...here in sunny California.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

When we ran in the rain at CMP, we'd rain-x'd the inside of the windshield as well as the exterior - it didn't work well at all. We ended up stopping 3 or 4 times in a handful of laps just to wipe down the windshield. I *THINK*, (I wasn't paying attention), the inside of the windshield was ultimately attacked with some shampoo, which resolved the situation.

It may be that we didn't clean the inside of the windshield properly before applying the stuff - so YMMV on regular Rain-X.

While I was at the hardware store the other day, I discovered a single-use Rain-X anti-fog towelette thing. Can't tell you how much good that does, but I've filed it away for future consideration.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I have heard spray Lemon Pledge on the inside of the glass.  Larry McReynolds did a thing on NA$CAR Today one day and said to take a bar of Ivory soap, and make streaks down the inside of the glass and it won't fog.  I have not tried either, but in light of the monsoons at two of the past three CMP races, I am going to try one of everything. 

Drive down front straight, streeeeetch to take fingertips and wipe a small patch to see through for a lap.   Repeat the next lap.  And again.  And again. 

And +1 more on the Harbor Freight heater.  Your body heat would do a better job than that thing does.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Shaving cream has worked in the past, though not on a Lemon.  Still, the concept is the same...

Mick25 wrote:

I have heard spray Lemon Pledge on the inside of the glass.

I tried this and it doesn't work either.  It seems keeping the stock heater core and duct work is the way to go.  Why did I toss that stuff again?

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

It seems keeping the stock heater core and duct work is the way to go.  Why did I toss that stuff again?

Peer pressure.
You look around and see it yanked from other race cars and get on a lightening binge, and that leads us to where we are... smearing on Rain-X Anti-fog and hoping.

I didn't think the single-use Rain-X anti-fog wipes worked as well as the bottled stuff, but in hindsight I wish we'd fixed our leaky heater core with some JB Weld and left it in.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

VKZ24 wrote:
Mick25 wrote:

I have heard spray Lemon Pledge on the inside of the glass.

I tried this and it doesn't work either.  It seems keeping the stock heater core and duct work is the way to go.  Why did I toss that stuff again?

It's not that crazy of an idea here on the west coast.

I'm currently working on (designing in my head) and alternate solution to test at PBIR if I can get it done in time.  Hopefully we won't need it (I hate rain!) but our last experience in the rain at CMP taught me we *need* a defroster/defogger.

Captain

One of our teammates used to use dishwashing soap (liquid) on the inside during endurance races.

We haven't had to use it at either of our races.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

One of our teammates used to use dishwashing soap (liquid) on the inside during endurance races..

I've heard of this technique as well, but have yet to try it.  I heard it has to be a certain brand?

Captain

it's kind of strange, i don't remember having any fogging issues whatsoever @ autobahn, and i've had the heater/ac controller yanked since day1. Autobahn was after I accidentally lit the dash on fire with a welder, so maybe that 'treated' the glass?

Do you guys with fogging problems run with the windows up?

The only glass in our car is the windshield and headlamps.

not only put the Rain X anti fog on the inside of the windshield, but use it on the inside of your face shield.  The stuff works great!!!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana