Topic: 3 races in, what have I learned?

This is the cheapest form of racing known to man, and it's not cheap.

There are only two ways to quickly understand what it is actually all about.  By reading these forums, and showing up to a race and watching.

Actually driving in a race is the cherry on top of the sundae.  Seat time is not guaranteed. Those who do not understand this will not find Lemons to be any fun.

Being able to consistently show up to wrench on the car, and show up at the race, makes you a more valuable teammate than most.

It's hot.  Drink water.

Although you think this is really cool, None of your friends or family will care about what you are doing.  They will just look at you funny as you try to describe it.

A cool shirt is worth every damn penny.

You get out of the penalty box faster by not being an ass.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: 3 races in, what have I learned?

Good advice.....

I'd add......

It not about winning exactly - whilst every person that competes understands that achievement, there is more to this than comming first!

Its cheap but not that cheap, but the best value for money motorsport I've ever done!

For all the people that turn up at an event, there are lots that gave up during a build thinking that the whole thing was a waste of time!

Team mates that stick around become good friends.....we are all good friends

When you see someone pull of the track with problems - you feel for them

If someones needs help you give it to them and you are almost guaranteed to get it back

You never have enough 10mm spanners, the right size hose clamp and the head torch batteries are always flat when the sun goes down!

Lemons is great!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

IgnoranteWest wrote:

There are only two ways to quickly understand what it is actually all about.  By reading these forums, and showing up and actually racing.

A cool patch is worth every damn penny and drop of sweat.

A couple of fixes there.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

IgnoranteWest wrote:

sage wisdom

Best (and most concise) description I've seen yet. I'll be sending a link to this to any new teammates from now on.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

8 people will say they will help with the car.  4 will.

16 people will say they will come to the race.  5 will.

Don't worry about that guy with the big engine.  It will blow up.

Don't worry about the guy with the race hauler.  He will spend most of the race in the box.

Help anyone who asks.  Offer to help people who don't ask.  They will help you.

Race hard, but take care of the people on track with you.

Know what kind of badge engineering went into your car.

Everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you would think.

Stay at the track overnight.  That's the fun part...aside from driving the car.

Think really hard about who is going to drive the car for the first stint.  Ask yourself if you really want to be the one out there with EVERYONE. (I love driving the first stint).

If you have few tools, no experience and a slow car then don't worry about it.  You can still do well.

Michael Rennick wrote:

If you have few tools, no experience and a slow car then don't worry about it.  You can still do well.

QFT +1000

I've read many posts on here where people just up and quit when their machines are half-finished the week of the race. there is so many people helping everyone out or willing to at one of these things your car WILL FIND TRACK TIME; BUT ONLY IF YOU BRING IT.

examples at NPR: the azz backward pickup/vic & the Gremlin

Examples at almost any eastern race: see Speedycop

Examples at almost west-coast race: see Spank?

seriously.

Michael Rennick wrote:

8 people will say they will help with the car.  4 will.

16 people will say they will come to the race.  5 will.

Don't worry about that guy with the big engine.  It will blow up.

Don't worry about the guy with the race hauler.  He will spend most of the race in the box.

Help anyone who asks.  Offer to help people who don't ask.  They will help you.

Race hard, but take care of the people on track with you.

Know what kind of badge engineering went into your car.

Everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you would think.

Stay at the track overnight.  That's the fun part...aside from driving the car.

Think really hard about who is going to drive the car for the first stint.  Ask yourself if you really want to be the one out there with EVERYONE. (I love driving the first stint).

+1000.  The only one I can add is

10 people say they will pay 3 will

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Many people will want be a race car driver, but when they find out a $500 race car is really $3000, they dissappear.

+1

Luckily my teammates were as desperate for some racing action as I was. Thank God it was cool in Omaha, we had two race suits and one helmet for 4 guys. We had to borrow a helmet so that we could refuel.

Passing tech inspection once is no guarantee that the next tech inspector won't spot something that he/she wants you to fix, NOW.
Bring paint, duct tape, electrical tape, and zip-ties to tech inspection every single time.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Things i have learned:
1) EVERYBODY CHEATS except me
2) Everybody will help if they can
3) Alcohol/money are good bribes, but the manual to a Lada is a better bribe
4) You are not going to win, even if you won in the past
5) If you make contact, find that driver, and appologize

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Thing I learned is weld a better cage or plead with snoopy to help.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

13 (edited by doctawife 2010-11-28 07:33 PM)

Eight races in and I've learned:

- be generally useful.  That way, when you need help, it will appear.
- bring a spare.  If you can manage it, bring a spare transmission, a spare clutch cable, spare hose clamps, spare zip ties, a spare engine (especially if your name is Brain and your car is a Fairmont), spare brake pads and spare hubs.  Just bring as much extra crap as you can carry.
- don't, DON'T mess with the judges.
- don't forget to eat.  Seriously, without food, the human behind the wheel won't be able to go roundy roundy.  And then your car won't go roundy roundy either.
- drink until you think you're going to explode.  And then drink some more.  (And I mean water or Gatorade - not beer!  Shrimpandboots, this means you!)
- you can never have enough 10mm sockets.
- nor can you ever have enough <insert your lug nut socket size here> mm sockets.
- if you haven't invested in air tools, do so now.
- the easiest way to decrease the weight in your car is to eat salad.  The 2.5 lbs you might get from ripping out the dash won't hold a candle to the 10 lbs you drop by going on a diet.
- if you can afford it, get a HANS or Defender device.  Your brain is your most important asset.  Do you really want to trust that to a fancy donut?
- don't forget that this race is supposed to be fun.  If you're not grinning at the end of your stint, you're doing it wrong.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

You will get more enjoyment from watching something that shouldn't run AT ALL complete 100 laps or finish under the checkered flag than watching a BMW/Miata/Supra win the race.

Honestly, I have more vivid memories of watching Erik get that Jag running at MAM or watching that Geo contraption with the SHO swap turning laps at Joliet than I do of anything else (besides us slowly but endlessly turning laps with our Metro).

Overachieving with a bad/slow/rediculous car is much more fun and memorable than running a "cheater" and not winning.  IMHO

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

You will get more enjoyment from watching something that shouldn't run AT ALL complete 100 laps or finish under the checkered flag than watching a BMW/Miata/Supra win the race.

Honestly, I have more vivid memories of watching Erik get that Jag running at MAM or watching that Geo contraption with the SHO swap turning laps at Joliet than I do of anything else (besides us slowly but endlessly turning laps with our Metro).

Overachieving with a bad/slow/rediculous car is much more fun and memorable than running a "cheater" and not winning.  IMHO

awww, no love for the pillagerz! buick? sad

I L-O-V-E-D your Buick.  How could you not?  I can't believe a Buick could actually be in the top 20.  You guys were actually winning at one point, right?

I can understand how BuckSnort Racing can get 2nd with their BMW 325 (that thing was fast). Their theme was good though, so I can get excited about their car too.

Actually, looking back at the final standings of Joliet's race, all the cars were really outstanding.  Even the "cheater" cars were few and far between, and if they were kinda cheateriffic they had a good theme.  That was a good race.

cpchampion wrote:

Passing tech inspection once is no guarantee that the next tech inspector won't spot something that he/she wants you to fix, NOW.
Bring paint, duct tape, electrical tape, and zip-ties to tech inspection every single time.

This is a very good thing to know.

Our car has been thru 7 Tech inspections, and there are still things that get failed by the Tech guys.  And this isn't a complaint, it's for our safety afterall, but still a good lesson learned.

-Martin
Team SHOtime
1986 Formula 1 Benetton racing livery
Old themes - M*A*S*H - Red Rocket Rat car

This should be a sticky.  I learned a lot and I hope more people add to this (and stay on topic).

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I L-O-V-E-D your Buick.  How could you not?  I can't believe a Buick could actually be in the top 20.  You guys were actually winning at one point, right?

I can understand how BuckSnort Racing can get 2nd with their BMW 325 (that thing was fast). Their theme was good though, so I can get excited about their car too.

Actually, looking back at the final standings of Joliet's race, all the cars were really outstanding.  Even the "cheater" cars were few and far between, and if they were kinda cheateriffic they had a good theme.  That was a good race.

I jest, of course, Thanks for the props! yes, thanks to the rain + my patience + full-tread-depth All-season performance tires + probably being in a relatively fat buick let us lead the race for something-odd 30 minutes or so. My team tends to be very quiet over the radio so when something that awesome happens, I actually DON'T KNOW until after I come in to pit. It works surprisingly well for keeping my concentration up and let's me ride the high later. Honestly in that car though I thought cougarbait and the little douche coupe were still ahead. 

Bucksnort's a great group of guys too, We seem to run into Tim a lot when we do walmart runs or even on the road to the race. I think the mega-cheat cars have their place on the track too. BS lap them to oblivion, and let them barrel around the track! Randy Pobst's vic was pretty damn epic to watch powersliding around T3,4,5, and by 6 it was too far away but you get the idea. smile

back on topic though, One of the best learning bits i can share is the fantastic time that can be had simply trolling the paddock for free grub and socializing with fellow racers. It makes the on-track experience much more personable and friendly!

Randy was a class act.  He came up to say he had a good friend who was into Geo Metro's and took pics with us (even up on the winner's podium).

Their crown vic was a beast, and filled to the brim with cheatonium.  But at least they brought strippers!  smile

Serj wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I jest, of course, Thanks for the props! yes, thanks to the rain + my patience + full-tread-depth All-season performance tires + probably being in a relatively fat buick let us lead the race for something-odd 30 minutes or so. My team tends to be very quiet over the radio so when something that awesome happens, I actually DON'T KNOW until after I come in to pit. It works surprisingly well for keeping my concentration up and let's me ride the high later. Honestly in that car though I thought cougarbait and the little douche coupe were still ahead. 

Bucksnort's a great group of guys too, We seem to run into Tim a lot when we do walmart runs or even on the road to the race. I think the mega-cheat cars have their place on the track too. BS lap them to oblivion, and let them barrel around the track! Randy Pobst's vic was pretty damn epic to watch powersliding around T3,4,5, and by 6 it was too far away but you get the idea. smile

back on topic though, One of the best learning bits i can share is the fantastic time that can be had simply trolling the paddock for free grub and socializing with fellow racers. It makes the on-track experience much more personable and friendly!

Serj wrote:

Pobst's Crown Vic was usually powersliding spectacularly through 8/9, too. Again, I don't know this from following, but we were pitted down that way and watched most of the race from that 7/8/9 area.

Serj wrote:

This was one of my favorite parts of our weekend in Joliet. We walked around late Friday night and ran into some damn cool people. Everyone was willing to share beer, food, and lots of stories.

I'd also thrown in:

If you are thinking about putting together a team, go watch a race first. You can walk around the pits freely to see all the madness and you'll get a better grasp on what you're getting yourself into. Having said that, my co-captain and I were entirely hooked after attending American Irony last year.

Put together a good team. It helps if you're all friends and can joke your way through whatever inevitable catastrophes you encounter.

A good paddock space is probably worth getting to the track early.

You don't have to theme your car, but it seems more fun if you do. Our car breezed through BS because Judge Phil loved our theme. I still don't think he knows what kind of car we have.

Bring beer: It's great for unwinding at the end of the day and it's better for bartering.

Most importantly: Enjoy the moment.  Driving was fun, but it was only part of the madness we experienced. Enjoy waking up at sunrise on a race track (or working on all night until the sun rises) and enjoy the chaos everywhere during the day.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
Serj wrote:

Bucksnort's a great group of guys too, smile

absolutly, have always had fun with them

Bring beer: It's great for unwinding at the end of the day and it's better for bartering.

Most importantly: Enjoy the moment.  Driving was fun, but it was only part of the madness we experienced. Enjoy waking up at sunrise on a race track (or working on all night until the sun rises) and enjoy the chaos everywhere during the day.

+eleventy billion!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Doctawife and Cpchampion are a couple of the biggest junkies I know in Texas.  The Doc made some nice points, like don't forget to eat and stay hydrated.

Even when things are going right, I always seem to be busy and have to make sure I stop to eat. 

As others have said, the race is fun and the Paddock is a blast when the track goes cold.

Early morning at the track gives me about the same feeling I get being at a lake in the morning.

Bring what you can to make your weekend more fun and comfortable. 

This is supposed to be fun.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Doctawife and Cpchampion are a couple of the biggest junkies I know in Texas.

I guess it's a sign of how deep the addiction goes that I was slightly flattered to be called a junkie...

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.