1 (edited by NemesisDN 2010-12-11 03:16 PM)

Topic: Impact Racing/SFI Suit Decertification?

There may be a better forum for this question or may be it was already covered but I am going to use some newb points and post it here.

I see Impact brand suits going for reasonable prices on ebay. Sometimes reasonable stuff on ebay makes me suspicious, so after checking around I find that SFI decertified Impact back in March. I read some more and find that as of September, SFI and Impact came to a settlement and Impact is back on the "ok" list. My questions: does that mean an Impact suit is a bad idea? Does that mean an Impact suit might not pass tech?

TIA.

Re: Impact Racing/SFI Suit Decertification?

It was covered at length in this thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 23&p=1

If you are going to get an Impact suit, make sure that the seller has a certification that the suit was made in 2009 or later AND has a written statement or tag in the suit to prove it AND has an SFI tag. If not, you probably won't pass tech with it.

After this fiasco, I wouldn't trust Impact. YMMV. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the fast reply. I may need to decide whether to cancel a bid!

4 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-12 06:52 AM)

From what I've heard SFI decertified Impact for having unofficial SFI tags and using unapproved materials in their suits. SFI finally settled with Impact paying a fine and decertifying a bunch of their equipment. I would not want Impact making my safety gear.

And don't forget that then SFI tested some suits upon which Impact had put the counterfeit labels and the suits failed the SFI testing. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Counterfeit labels are sucky, but if the equipment is legit, then it will stand up to the testing. And that was the leg that Impact was standing on at the time -- 'sure, the labels might be counterfeit, but nobody's said that our equipment's flawed' was their argument at the time. Then the equipment failed in fire testing and they quickly worked on settlement of that lawsuit rather than go out of business.

But that's why I don't and won't trust them.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Impact Racing has been acquired by MasterCraft Safety.
http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

Quote:

Indianapolis (December 1, 2010) – It was announced at today’s International Motorsports Industry Show in Indianapolis that MasterCraft Safety has acquired Impact! Racing from Bill Simpson, a pioneer and ambassador in motorsports and safety solutions. The brand will be known as Impact! Racing by MasterCraft Safety and will be managed by MasterCraft Safety.

“I am honored that Bill has entrusted me to take his company and safety innovations to the next level under the MasterCraft Safety name,” said MasterCraft Safety CEO, Robbie Pierce. “As a result of the fusion of our companies, we have united the best of both worlds by bringing motorsports such as NHRA and NASCAR together with desert and short-course off-road racing. With Bill staying on as an ambassador and consultant for Impact! Racing by MasterCraft Safety, we will bring racing to a new audience and we hope to convert loyal fans and advocates.”

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"