Topic: SA2000 helmet still good next few years?

Are the SA2000 helmets going be kept on for a few more years? A few of my teammates and I are looking at buying new M-2010 helmets for karting and motorcycling as M2010 represents a big advance over M2005; it doesn't seem like SA2010 was that big a change. It would be convenient if we could continue to use our SA2000 helmets for Lemons so we don't have to buy two new ones apiece.

Re: SA2000 helmet still good next few years?

why wouldn't you just buy a SA helmet and use that for karting and motorcycling as well?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:

why wouldn't you just buy a SA helmet and use that for karting and motorcycling as well?

it's my understanding that motorcycle/karting helmets are padded differently for rappid deceleration (being open cockpit) comapired to auto helmets.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I've always heard the only difference was that SA helmets are flame resistant.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

The other road race organizations tend give the 3 standard old helmets a year at best.  That means the SA2000s will go away a year at most after the SA2010s came out.  I think it will be safe to assume you cannot count on using SA2000 lids in 2011.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

It is standard to only accept the last two standards, so SA2000 helmets will probably not be legal for 2011 and later, sucks for me, as I have a SA2000 helmet.     

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

It is standard to only accept the last two standards, so SA2000 helmets will probably not be legal for 2011 and later, sucks for me, as I have a SA2000 helmet.     

-John

The good news is there are deals to be had on SA2005 helmets as soon as the SA2010 helmets became available.  I bought a SA2005 about 4 months ago on closeout, but since my current SA2000 is good until the end of this year it's still sitting in the box.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than half price for a SA2005.

BoB wrote:

I've always heard the only difference was that SA helmets are flame resistant.

SA Helmets are rated for rollbar impact (as well as having a flame retardant liner), M helmets are rated for abrasion resistance and impact.

Honestly, aside from the flame resistance, they are probably identical, but who knows for sure.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

10 (edited by DMCRX 2010-11-23 03:53 PM)

I actually know!  I am a car racer and am starting to ride motorbikes, but don't want another helmet cluttering up my closet.  Today I talked to someone at the Snell Foundation today and the only thing that would stop an SA rated helmet from meeting the M rating is the peripheral vision testing.  IE SA meets or exceeds all other M standards.  I just got word back from Bell that their M.4 and BR.1 both meet Snell M vision ratings.  Now, this doesn't mean that the motorcycle sanctioning body of your choice will let you run the helmet, but the Snell foundation will vouch for you and even write a letter on your behalf if it becomes an issue.

A point to consider is that while these large view port SA helmets hit the M spec they are technically not DOT (since they are simply lacking the sticker), so you're still on the hook if you get pulled over on your bike while wearing one on the street.  I am willing to bet that the chance of getting pulled over for a helmet violation while wearing a brand new full-face is pretty slim.  You could always get one of these if you can't be without a DOT sticker: http://doingourthing.com/ -- whose target market I believe to be idiots with novelty-only skid-lids.

Chances of a police officer knowing the difference in helmet configuration is like assuming a congressman knows what corruption is.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

DMCRX wrote:

A point to consider is that while these large view port SA helmets hit the M spec they are technically not DOT (since they are simply lacking the sticker), so you're still on the hook if you get pulled over on your bike while wearing one on the street.  I am willing to bet that the chance of getting pulled over for a helmet violation while wearing a brand new full-face is pretty slim.  You could always get one of these if you can't be without a DOT sticker: http://doingourthing.com/ -- whose target market I believe to be idiots with novelty-only skid-lids.

My SA2005 Racequip helmet has a DOT tag. I thought that was normal?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If you are racing cars buy the SA helmet,  If you are not buy a M helmet.  Geeeez- Cheap Bastards. 

SA2010's are already out,  and some places still have 15% off sales going on
Apex Performance "blackfriday"
and Safe racer has some code.

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

Riktor wrote:

Chances of a police officer knowing the difference in helmet configuration is like assuming a congressman knows what corruption is.

That is what has always worried me about a motorcycle helmet I really like.  Mind you I haven't bought a motorcycle yet but if I ever find a nice cheap Triumph Bonneville, or have a mid life crisis (did Lemons to earrly for that to qualify), I really like this look

http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm? … on=product

The problem is that I see it only rated by the European Standards which in my readings tend to surpass the DOT Standard slightly but no DOT sticker.  Although since I'm in one of the few states not mandating helmets I guess it really doesn't matter to much unless I ride out of my state.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

M2010 eliminates all the confusion about which standard is best - it's got the big-impact resistance of the M2005 standard and the not-turning-your-brains-to-mush performance criteria are tighter than the DOT standard. Buy a DOT-certified M2010 helmet for motorcycling.