1 (edited by RandomTask 2010-12-14 06:33 PM)

Topic: Greetings from Va! We're really really dumb. . . for real.

. . . Cause we signed up smile Have a team of 6 people who have loose morals, complete disregard for our well being, and an affinity for alcoholic beverages.  I bought a '98 Contour from a delusional homeless man for a wallet shattering $50.  Stuff kept going wrong with it until finally the fuel pump died. She bought a new one and was going to pay someone to put it in but then she opted to get a new car and pass on this cancer.  Already sold the stereo/speakers out of it and am at a whopping total of $-50 big_smile . . . cage is currently being installed.  Had a theme in mind but we *might* need to change it to better fit our personalities.  Couple of questions:

1.) Everyone on the team has already signed up paid for their license.  I still owe the big amount (Driver fee's + entrance fee's). How often do they shoot down applicants? Have a couple hundred already involved in the cage, etc. . . if need be, for any judge that accepts the applicants, I will provide you with a 750ml bottle of something 80+ proof in exchange for acceptance.

2.) The car is uncharacteristically intact compared to what you heathens bring.  I mean, it has a mirror glued on, but it was done professionally and I'm afraid that might catch ridicule.  While I have counter-insults prepared, would it behoove us to force ugly onto this four wheeled jelly bean? (To avoid getting laps for penalties)

3.) I have done some racing, Auto-x (have a C5) , FSAE, etc, but we have a y chromosome deprived noob that hasn't (other than VA rush-hour traffic).  Other than killing a kitten every time she's messes up, anyone else run into (BF) issues letting a rookie drive?

Really excited to get the car done and try to stay out there!

Joe

2 (edited by PunisherBass 2010-12-14 05:59 PM)

Re: Greetings from Va! We're really really dumb. . . for real.

It's a Contour... I don't think you have to worry about getting laps. I had to drive my grandma's V6 Contour around a few years ago and it wouldn't do 45mph if you dropped it straight off the Empire State building. You could roll into tech with the SVT version and I don't think they'd give the car a second look. I strongly suggest you upgrade your brake and cooling system if possible, Lemons has a way of eating OEM setups alive.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I bought a '98 Contour from a crazy neighbor for a wallet shattering $50.

Don't admit you bought it from family.

How often do they shoot down applicants?

No E30? No problem. Well, that and you have to show some personality when you write your application.

would it behoove us to force ugly onto this four wheeled jelly bean?

Actually, trying to make your car look like crap is worse than putting a really good theme on it. If you put the Rustoleum on with rollers it'll look plenty crappy enough. If you just ugly it up, Judge Phil will get ticked off and threaten you with having to paint it before you hit the track. As a matter of fact, if you just leave it mostly stock he'll threaten to make you paint it.

EriktheAwful wrote:

I bought a '98 Contour from a crazy neighbor for a wallet shattering $50.

Don't admit you bought it from family.

How often do they shoot down applicants?

No E30? No problem. Well, that and you have to show some personality when you write your application.

would it behoove us to force ugly onto this four wheeled jelly bean?

Actually, trying to make your car look like crap is worse than putting a really good theme on it. If you put the Rustoleum on with rollers it'll look plenty crappy enough. If you just ugly it up, Judge Phil will get ticked off and threaten you with having to paint it before you hit the track. As a matter of fact, if you just leave it mostly stock he'll threaten to make you paint it.

Thanks smile

It is the V6, it has some 'pep'. . . not fast, but not terribly slow. Haven't really thrown it around yet. 

Paint it - Got it. . .

RandomTask wrote:

3.) I have done some racing, Auto-x (have a C5) , FSAE, etc, but we have a y chromosome deprived noob that hasn't (other than VA rush-hour traffic).  Other than killing a kitten every time she's messes up, anyone else run into (BF) issues letting a rookie drive?

History shows that the noobs tend to do better than the "pros" at avoiding some types of black flags.  Don't harass her too much, she may remember it when one of the other drivers become testosterone-blinded and do not see that yellow flag as they pass 4 cars.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

If you're in VA, there are many tracks that do HPDE's.  Highly recommended.

Trackdaze.com   Excellent group, well run, reasonably priced.  If you're planning on racing at Capitol Offense, they've got an event or 2 at that track.  Last year, they even had a Lemon's group (yellow) so we could shake down our crapcans.  They had their own entry for the race too.

Get the best race pads for it, and buy reman calipers from NAPA.  Easiest way to get good, dependable braking.

BTW, you can't go negative on your budget, you can only go to zero.  Save the rest of your stuff to sell for race #2, when you get a 400.00 residual.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I second Trackdaze. We ran our 240 twice at summit last year with them. they are VERY accommodating of Lemons teams. they run 2 Lemons cars themselves.

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

what year FSAE?

Started '02. Went to competition '04.  Was gonna go '06 but ended up not being able to make it.

RandomTask wrote:

...Already sold the stereo/speakers out of it and am at a whopping total of $-50

Don't count on being able to spend that $50-- standard operating procedure now is no negative numbers. Even if you sell $600 of parts off a $500 car, your build budget is $500.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

My Lemons teammate was 02-04.  I was 05.  What school?  We were UNC-C

Careful with the contour.  They have notorious oiling problems in curves on tracks.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

TJenkins121 wrote:

My Lemons teammate was 02-04.  I was 05.  What school?  We were UNC-C

ODU. Started in '02 and went to the '04 Competition. Was in a couple years after, but no more competition.

bigds01 wrote:

Careful with the contour.  They have notorious oiling problems in curves on tracks.

So I've read. Gonna do a couple of things to try to address that.

Contour = Mondeo

THEME:
http://stillphotography.co.uk/gallery/d/15820-3/93_radisich_pembrey_w.jpg

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

For cheap wheel-to-wheel time you can't beat karting. Most indoor tracks go down to around $15 a race on off days.