Topic: Greetings from Ohio

Hello all, I'm currently assembling a team of Fahrvergnügen enthusiasts (VW for you laymen) for the 2011 season. Who knows we may end up with a Toyota...hopefully not. I'll use this thread for newb questions here and there. Already been through the rules and feel pretty comfortable with what's what but there are ofcourse areas of gray.

What is the rule on a freebee? Say, scoring a free running car from a junkyard? If it's value is $300 and we get it for free is it a $300 car? Or, let's say a friend has a stripped down project he has had sitting for over 5 years and wants to donate the car to the cause...same rule applies?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Greetings from Ohio

I would venture to guess the judges have seen almost everything, and have an idea of what most cars might (should) cost.  If it is a running car that requires NO work to drive to work and back daily, then you might have trouble convincing them you started with a free car.

If it is a rusted out pile of crap with seized brakes, holes everywhere, and destroyed interior that the owner just wants of his land AND he's not a friend AND you have proof of an advert to come "take this piece of $&it off my property"... then maybe.

Anytime your story starts with, "I had this buddy who had this old piece of crap car he wanted to give to us...", the judges are immediately intrigued (not in a positve way).

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

And for heaven's sake, when you're talking to the judges for the first time, bear in mind that the more you say, the more they can use against you. This is the biggest mistake that I see rookies make when they're rolling through BS judging -- overtalking. I'm not saying don't be friendly -- in fact, just the opposite. Be friendly, just don't overshare.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

^Yeaaaa...I may need to let someone else be the talker. I tend to be that guy.

Yeah, when I went through BS for the first time, Phil looked at my car, looked at me and said, "you're one of those BABE rally nuts, right?!" I said yes.  He looked at the car and said, "What did you do, say 'how can I make this WORSE?' Get this thing out of here!"  I had build notes and spreadsheets but knew better than to do anything but thank him and get back in the car.  Sometimes silence is the best policy.

(Plus having a car that is likely to explode in the first lap.  We did make it 60 or so laps, which I felt pretty dang good about.)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

The last guy through tech at Joliet this year was a Lemons rookie with a very dodgy 944. Jay and Phil really gave him the runaround on this "former dirt track" 944. Even made him call up the seller and confess to how much he sold the car for. But after sweating the guy for a good 15 minutes (which was highly entertaining), Jay finally called the dogs off and told the guy he'd give him zero laps. At which point the driver took it upon himself to claim that his team (of which he was the only person present) was donating $x/lap to some children's charity. Of course, he didn't know that wrapping oneself in the cause of a children's charity is like waving a red flag in front of a bull when it comes to Jay and Phil. I tried to politely advise him to STFU, but he wouldn't be stopped. His confession caused Jay to reconsider, whereupon the guy got 20 laps, probated. Jay made him go through judging again on Sunday morning -- zero laps if he wasn't doing so well in the race, the full 20 laps if they turned out to be a really fast team. I never heard what was the result on Sunday morning with that guy. But if he just would have shut up when he should have shut up, he would have had zero laps, unconditional.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Welcome!  We are based up in the NE Ohio region (Mentor) so if you ever have any questions feel free to shout out.  Maybe we can caravan to some of the races? (que the Jerry Reed music)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

I third the whole keeping your mouth shut during BS.

At CMP a few months ago we waiting in line for the inspection when Jay walked by and said "Let me save you guys some time, it's just a GP" when I stupidly said "It's a GTP" which tipped him off about the supercharger under the hood. Now this wasn't our first Lemons, actually our 7th, which made my actions all the more retarded. But my excuse was that I had about 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 and the transmission in my car had gone out on the way down which was going to leave me stuck 800 miles from home and about $2,000 poorer. If I had been in the right state of mind I would have just smiled and nodded my head.

He was going give us zero laps, but when he heard me he wanted to take a much closer look at the car. After some talking we still walked away with no laps. Later we let Murilee BS the car again and still made it out with zero laps. So saying something stupid doesn't always spell doom for you, but if you mention something that catches their attention then start saying your prayers.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

9 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-16 06:57 PM)

I had the hood off our Jaguar when I pulled up to tech. Judge Phil took one look and said, "A stock motor in an XJ6? Yeah, you're not getting laps."

I kept my mouth shut (not that there's anything to hide when you're flogging a stock straight-6 powered Jag) and we had no laps.

10 (edited by Serj 2010-12-16 09:54 PM)

It helps tremendously if you show up to these races with a car that's not really considered a contender on laps, reliability, or speed. they break out the CSI lab on your car if you show up with a Miata or an E30 or (lately) early 90s Sentra SE-Rs. They mostly just laugh and shake their head if you show up in Malaise-era detroit iron or something french; EVEN IF you're so inclined to open your fat yap. If your car has no 'performance' aftermarket whatsoever, all the better.

By the way, Greetings! the Track Pillagerz! are also in Ohio, with about a 50/50 split between cincy and toledo.

A truly horrendous car won't matter if its free though, a car that is worth something will.  Then again its just a handful of bs laps you still get to go out and race which is the important part.

I think we had to speak up in bs or they wouldn't have let us stop long enough to give them the beer in the trunk.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

12 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2010-12-22 08:18 AM)

We were doing laps for charity for our races and they didn't even look at our Geo the 2nd race.  He gave it the stiff spring bounce (which we failed horribly) and he said, "this thing is so slow you should get laps" (or something to that idea). 

So one of our guys said.. "but we have a milk jug intake!"  Phil, "nice".  Guy, "2%".  Phil, "might have to reconsider your laps."

Another guy on our team, "you wanna see under the hood?"  Phil, "Should I?"  Guy, " you can."  Phil, "ok... yeah... that's a 1.0L 3-cyl right?"  Guy, "Yep."  PHil, "Good luck with that."

Lesson... Coulda gone through BS with a turbo'd built 3-cylinder reliably pushing 130HP and never got checked. *SARCASM*

But that's not in the spirit of Lemons.

Welcome Savwko, We are another NE Ohio team.  We are just down the road in Wadsworth.  If you got any questions or wanna meet up for a beer to discuss Lemons 2011 let me know.

We've heard every possible variation on the "free car" story, and what happens to you during the BS inspection comes down to how happy seeing your car on the track will make us. Bringing a Triumph GT6 with Studebaker 289 power? You're in good shape. Bringing an Integra? Better have a really good story.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Coulda gone through BS with a turbo'd built 3-cylinder reliably pushing 130HP and never got checked.

Did you just use "turbo'd 3 cylinder" and "reliably" in the same sentence?

16 (edited by Serj 2010-12-22 12:18 AM)

43hp per cylinder and it's NOT a bike engine? yeah, good luck with that.

17 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2010-12-22 08:20 AM)

Sorry... Sometimes my sarcasm just doesn't come through the computer screen the way I intend.  smile

Although... Serj... Technically it IS a bike engine.  Certainly NO 6-cylinder car has EVER reliably made 260HP.  *SARCASM*

Judge Phil wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Coulda gone through BS with a turbo'd built 3-cylinder reliably pushing 130HP and never got checked.

Did you just use "turbo'd 3 cylinder" and "reliably" in the same sentence?