1 (edited by firegremlin 2010-12-21 11:59 AM)

Topic: Aaand I think team Sputnik has a car... Again. How much does it cost?

# Bye Saturn

After saying good-bye to our chopped up no-longer-legal Saturn, we went on a mad search looking for a vehicle that a) costs little, b) operable enough to be ready for February, and c) is somewhat funky, beyond the usual sport compact type of stuff.

Couldn't find anything that suits our hearts.

# Hi Wagon

So, we went with the second best option - the team voted unanimously to expropriate my wagon that I use mostly to store my flammable/combustible crap and my canoe (their reasoning is that the canoe is trash, and that I'll have a garage to keep the crap in by the end of this month).

The car is... drumroll... 1986 Nissan Stanza Wagon. Apart from AC and premium stereo, it is an absolutely bare-bones, manual everything vehicle with a good bit of rust and a broken back window that I got for $250 a couple years ago. Since then I changed brakes/wheels/tires (saftey, right? smile ), replaced the back window with a crude $50 sheet of lexan, busted the side back window (oops), and replaced the exhaust with bits of whatever I had handy at the moment after the original fell off at the collector (needless to say, it leaks like a mofo and sags, needs urgent replacement).

# Economics of it

Would it be fair to set the base price at $250, and count the canoe as an integral part of the car? I got it for nothing in the summer of '09, and it's been on top of the wagon ever since. I'm sure we could use an extra $50 bill that we could get for it smile

The upside is that the car is somewhat lightweight, has some good-condition stuff that can be stripped and sold, and is pretty much ready to go apart from the stripping, roll cage, and a properly sized radiator. Runs great and stops on a dime.

The downside is that none of that extra cash does us any good 'cause the car has absolutely zero aftermarket. I can't imagine spending more than $60 on the cooling system when using junkyard parts, so I have no idea what to use it for. The engine is said to explode spectacularly with any amount of pressure significantly over atmospheric, the shocks are factory and are OK, and if we weld up the doors we'll cure the chassis rigidity problem for good. There are no junky turbo 200SX's left on the planet, and swapping an 8-liter cadillac subframe/drivetrain is a bit over our skill level for now (at least until summer). No other engine easily swaps in, unless it's out of Japan, and then it's way over budget.

The least expensive EASY engine transplant is a CA18DET, but those are ~$700 at the local JDM depot. There's a weird $600 one from Auster XTT on ebay right now (non-intercooled, possibly the worst of the family) for sale in Montreal, but still too expensive, even if we go to Canada to pick it up.  Would be tits to have one of those, as it is arguably not so much better than the original, but alas, it's over the budget.

# Theme?

Since it doesn't quite look like the original Sputnik, I'm thinking of a Buran look (soviet Shuttle knock-off), but keeping the saturn-sputnik logo, so that we don't change the theme much. Thoughts/comments? big_smile

K Car Stalker

2 (edited by firegremlin 2010-12-21 12:08 PM)

Re: Aaand I think team Sputnik has a car... Again. How much does it cost?

BTW, obviously no motor swaps until we race it a couple of times. We're racing it as-is (stripped, caged, and themed as time allows) in February; we have plenty of manpower and tools to do stuff to it, but I don't want to risk blowing the deadline because we wanted a fancy-ass motor or  a 4-disk brake setup. Plus, 3 out of 4 drivers on the team are rookies, including myself, so not much use having a fast car yet.

K Car Stalker

If you want to go by the rules the car costs whatever you paid for it plus all the maintenance you've done on it since you had it.  What its worth through BS, that is kind of a crap shoot, you can do blue book, and see what people are paying for similar cars on ebay and craigslist and whatnot, but you have a possibility of getting dinged in bs no matter what you do.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Unless you swap in an SE-R motor and trans, I doubt you'll get so much as an utterance of heat going through BS. Phil can verify, but I suspect this would be the first Stanza "Estate" in Lemons, so that's certainly worth something, because they are terrible cars.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I think we've had a couple of Stanzas, but never a wagon.

Do brake/tire/exhaust/fluid count? I thought those were safety items and expendables (and as such didn't cound towards the total). Apart from that and "fixing" the back window, nothing was spent on the car itself, and it only got worse (busted another window, door bottom rust, AC leaked out) over the years, so I figure some depreciation would be fair. Basically, noone would take it but the scrapyard, and the quote I got in the summer was $200 if I drive it in myself sad

I think I'll actually keep the canoe and incorporate it into the theme somehow.

The stock original CA20E was rated at 97HP, and, despite a currently catless exhaust, it is a an engine that manages to be both gutless and anemic at the same time (!!). No power until 3K and quits breathing after 4K, although it'll run up to 6500 rpm all day long.

I tried to lowball the guys in Montreal for their engine, but they didn't respond. Maybe $300 for an engine that came half-way around the globe is too little smile

K Car Stalker

A good theme and bribe will get you far.

How about a spacewalking cosmonaut on a tether to add to the theme?
http://www.brontosaur.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ed_white_spacewalk.jpg

For BS inspection, you can wear spacesuits adorned with these stickers [which say "I love vodka" in Cyrillic.]

http://rlv.zcache.com/i_love_vodka_sticker-p217346561756583490qjcl_400.jpg

Bribe with good Russian booze and carry on.

My unsolicited $.02 donation.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Our only "crew member" (who can't legally drive at the moment, which is a whole different story) is going to Ukraine for a couple of weeks. Authentic bribes guaranteed smile

K Car Stalker

I would list to therood, I still don't think Phil has any idea what car they have because their theme and bribe was just that good.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

If you're leaving the canoe on top why not deck it out like a wagoneer and do a 'great outdoors' theme. You'll get mad props for bribing the judges with a 96oz. steak.

Serj wrote:

If you're leaving the canoe on top why not deck it out like a wagoneer and do a 'great outdoors' theme. You'll get mad props for bribing the judges with a 96oz. steak.

Also, one of your crew will have to be a bare-assed bear.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I think I'll take it down for the race and use as a crew, um,  vehicle. It's an 80 pound canoe that can kill someone pretty easily if it for some reason falls off and breaks the windshield. But overall I think it would work well with the whole shuttle/multi-stage vehicle design.

K Car Stalker

What's this nonsense about selling the canoe?  Bolt it down and go race!

Sell the "premium stereo" for $50 instead.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

From what I can tell, a KA42E will just about drop in place of the CA20E. I wouldn't even try finding another CA20E. Run the current engine until it pops, then engineer a KA swap.

If you're leaving the canoe on top why not deck it out like a wagoneer and do a 'great outdoors' theme.

+1

15 (edited by firegremlin 2010-12-22 08:38 AM)

If the abuse the current engine could take is indicative of anything, it'll never ever pop.

KA24 uses a different transmission and possibly axles; the mounts SEEM like they're the same, though; same goes for Sentra engines. I'll need a whole car for this kind of swap.

I think we'll start by making the poor old wagon stay together, though. With pillarless doors, it flexes so bad that jacking up one end makes it difficult to open the door on the other.

K Car Stalker

dont forget the cage will add more stiffness than any welding you do to the doors

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I've worked on a lot of those cars.  Clutches are very weak.  Fortunately the engine doesn't make enough power to hurt anything else.  Put a new clutch in it and run it.

The canoe will help roll it back on its wheels when the Bad Thing (tm) happens.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...