Topic: Crown Vic- Crumple Zone/Crash Structure

Hi All

On a 2004 Crown Vic, as i understand it there are no crumple zones- it's a body on frame car. Therefore, the new rules 3.31 concerning crash structure doesn't prevent us from hollowing out the interior metal bracing of the doors and the trunk floor, etc.... does this sound about right, or should we contact Jay for a ruling?

thanks
olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Re: Crown Vic- Crumple Zone/Crash Structure

You're always better off asking Jay on anything like this because his ruling is the only one that will stand up come tech time.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

The rule does not say anything about "crumple zones." It says don't reduce crush structure. Gutting the doors has always been fine since you're putting a roll cage in there anyway, but if you mess with the trunk floor, I'd count on failing tech.

But I agree with the above: better check with Jay first. And it would be helpful to other builders if you reported back with your findings. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The body definitely has crumple zones. 

The doors can be hollowed out.  It's a necessity to fit the NASCAR bars in them.

Cutting out the trunk floor is a bad idea, because that is a layer of sheet metal between the car occupant and the fuel tank.  CVPI has a reputation for fuel tank rupture in a rear hit, so don't add any openings between tank and inside car.

Here's a fun vid showing barrier crash test of CV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ctRRtQXo

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

a 2004 does have crumble zones....I've seen plenty wrecked to know that....doors are easy to hollow out for nascar bars which is a very good idea....

I also agree with Jim that you should leave the trunk floor alone...since its the barrier from the fuel tank & you would have to replace it with something if you cut it out....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

6 (edited by olaaf 2010-12-20 06:46 PM)

OK, thanks everybody. i'll follow up with Jay about the door bracing and post here. Hopefully there will be a way to simply define crush structure on a car. With such a heavy car, looking for max weight loss.

--

Max weight loss?  Prolly shouldn't start off w/ a crown vic.
Try something Foxy, like an 88 T-bird 5.0 instead.

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Yeah, but i already have a crown vic.

We were at Nelson- the pathetic yet authentic 2004 yellow NYC Taxi extended wheel base crown vic (not an interceptor). I saw you guys so many times buzzing past me- i want to say sorry we were such a slow obstacle on the track... hoping that next time we'll be contenders.

olaaf

Well, if you've got it, then race it.  8^)

There is a lot of weight that can come out of a car: all glass, all 4 doors can be hollowed, hood & trunk bracing, bumper skins, lights & grill, piles of AC & heat & trim...

When the Taxi was at Bender's last year for the cage, IIRC the cage was being built around the dash?  If it is not needed to get around the track, toss it!

Are you guys located in central OH?  We are in Columbus and Lancaster.

Jim C.

The weight loss is part of the plan for this year.. We are based in NYC, but have 1 team member in Athens, OH so we staged the car there..

thanks-
olaaf

olaaf wrote:

Yeah, but i already have a crown vic.

We were at Nelson- the pathetic yet authentic 2004 yellow NYC Taxi extended wheel base crown vic (not an interceptor). I saw you guys so many times buzzing past me- i want to say sorry we were such a slow obstacle on the track... hoping that next time we'll be contenders.

olaaf

There's more to being a contender than being fast.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

this rule was based on the crown vic that cut 2 feet off the rear and 1 foot off the front to save weight....people are getting carried away with the mods has to stop some where before someone get hurt

If its not broke fix it till it is...