Topic: Cage Approval

I know we are still missing a few things in our cage: (Nascar bars, passenger bar, and Harness bar)  They will be going in tomorrow.  But I had someone do the bends off site and my A-pillar bars don't fit quite as tight to the body lines as I had hoped. 

Other things aside will the A-pillar bars be a problem at tech?

http://llracing.weebly.com/cage-photos.html

thanks in advance for the replies!

Re: Cage Approval

You do want your cage to follow as close to the body line as possible to keep the car as rigid as possible on impact. Your "halo" hoop seems to be pretty close to the roof line which is good.
The A Pillar bars are pretty far away from the body. I think the only concern there is whether they are blocking the view from the drivers seat or they are too close to the drivers legs. Check to make sure the driver sitting the car has the 2" minimum clearance as per rules and he can clearly see out the front of the car. Other than that you can write John an email if you are worried about your cage. John builds cages and is one of the main tech inspectors he will be your best opinion on the matter.
john@evilgeniusracing.com
Good luck with your build.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

3 (edited by trekkor 2010-12-25 12:01 PM)

I'm also installing a full roll cage in an E30. ( not for a Lemons car )
First thing I noticed, is how much room there is between the driver and the 'a' pillars.

Looks good.

What I'm up to:
http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … r%20build/

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

I'm also installing a full roll cage in an E30. ( not for a Lemons car )
First thing I noticed, is how much room there is between the driver and the 'a' pillars.

Looks good.

What I'm up to:
http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 … r%20build/

KT

You put the vertical plates for the main hoop in backwards... its ok, but you won't be able to use the weld in bolts for the harness, they will be behind the main hoop.   You also have a bunch of that plate hanging in the air, you'll have to bend it back and weld it.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

sturgis wrote:

I know we are still missing a few things in our cage: (Nascar bars, passenger bar, and Harness bar)  They will be going in tomorrow.  But I had someone do the bends off site and my A-pillar bars don't fit quite as tight to the body lines as I had hoped. 

Other things aside will the A-pillar bars be a problem at tech?

http://llracing.weebly.com/cage-photos.html

thanks in advance for the replies!

I wrote an e-mail to you about the cage, I was rather negative, I'm concerned about the way-inboard halo bar, but send me a whole lot of detailed pics so I can really see what is going on.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Will you be completely inside the roof halo when sitting in the car? It looks a lot like your head will be nearly directly under that bar.

Was that  S&W cage kit that you started with?

Looks fine to me. Good simple design and it will pass tech no problem as long as the welds are good and you add some type of door bar setup and harness bar. Yeah the A-pillar could be closer to the outside, but it doesn't look that bad.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

8 (edited by G7owl 2010-12-26 11:43 AM)

I'm not a cage expert so the only observations I can make relate to the cage that John (Hoonatic Racing) was kind enough to install in our E30 -

If you haven't trial fitted your seat yet, now would be a good time. Get your seat in place and temporarily stick some approved roll-cage padding around the halo at the door and down the A-pillar bar. Now get your drivers to sit in the seat with their racing helmet on and check for head clearance at the halo and hand clearance next to the steering wheel at the various seat positions required by your drivers. I think the rules say 2 inches all round, but check the rules for yourself and make sure you are compliant. Don't take my word for it, I'm frequently wrong smile

If there is a clearance issue, first port of call is lowering your seat. Don't forget you will have to install harness mounting furniture under the seat so it can't be totally flat to the floor; that and they still have to be able to see over the dash!  If that doesn't solve the problem then you're stuck with altering your cage.

You might have to undo your welds at the top of the main uprights and the A-pillars and move your halo forward...and possibly upward for head / hand clearance. If you have a sunroof, it is helpful to remove the slide runners and slide mechanism, which will give you perhaps another inch of headroom for the roll-cage bars.

If, by moving stuff about to get clearance, you find that your tubes are now not tall enough to go from the floor to the roof, there is a thread on here somewhere that shows a method of using plinths to connect tubes to floors....it's solid and makes it easy to meet the new minimum weld length rules smile

Half-assed information and only just coherent, but thats as good as I get. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Steven

Edited for dodgy spelling and to say : keep in touch with John (Evil Genius) he will guide you in the right direction. Follow his instructions and you'll be racing safely in no time.

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

I'm not an expert but if I was you I'd be sure to read through Evil Genius's email and try to do what ever he suggests.  He is the safety expert that Jay and Nick rely on the most, and according to where you are racing he may be the one doing tech on your car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page